Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Mercer County)

Default Derringers good for self defense?

My 2nd job I now have the responsibility of transporting over 10K through a crowded area with my only protection being a 140lb untrained unarmed female. Everyone can obviously see I have a lot of cash and I feel super vulnerable to be robbed. I am not allowed to carry at my 2nd job so I am wanting to get a pocket pistol to protect myself and the assets. I was thinking derringers so I can use 410 gauge shells so if I ever needed to shoot a person in the crowed area it would like lower chance of killing someone behind the attacker. I don't know the first thing about derringers. Your the experts.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Derringers good for self defense?

Why is it obvious you are transporting a lot of money? Instead of violating your employer's policy of not carrying, discuss methods of concealing the cash/deposit. Money fits in many things

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    Why is it obvious you are transporting a lot of money? Instead of violating your employer's policy of not carrying, discuss methods of concealing the cash/deposit. Money fits in many things
    Plus a million. Also, decide if it's worth it to you to lose your job if found carrying.

If you decide to pocket carry, I recommend the Ruger LCP. I have one and it's been flawless. I want to recommend the Glock 42 even more (being as I carry a 23 daily), but there's been too many issues early on with them from what I can tell. I'd wait a year on that. Plus, the LCP is noticeably smaller.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    I carry 14 cash register money boxes at the end of the night. I did suggest we put the money in like a suitcase or something but they need to count the money in the drawers to make sure they add up with the POS system. I did consider the ruger lcp. Great guns. My thought though was 410 projectiles slow down much more after hitting something so people behind the target have a greater chance of living. Changes story line from "bouncer shoots robber and kills innocent customers" to "bouncer shoots robber"

Do what you want but your breaking your employers rules. You are your own worst enemy and can only blame yourself when you get caught.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA1936MN View Post
    Do what you want but your breaking your employers rules. You are your own worst enemy and can only blame yourself when you get caught.
    You do have a great point. If I did get robbed and the money stolen. It's not my money I have nothing to lose. If I shot in defense that's a ton of court cases, legal fees, news coverage, plus losing my job and risking my life. Still an uneasy feeling carrying so much money with so many people around

(Lancaster County)

They're system sucks. The same thing could be accomplished using locking money bags. Closing out the registers well after customers have been cleared or staggering the shifts. There's no excuse to carry a nights take amongst the public.
    Where do you work? We could provide a demonstration

Quote Originally Posted by PA1936MN View Post
    Whats the worst that can happen, get fired? I'm sure he'd rather be fired than dead.

(Allegheny County)

That many cash boxes likely won't be targeted by a single person. Too hard to for one perp to take control of them and get away. A two shot derringer may not be the best option.
    Last edited by thebearpack; June 8th, 2014 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Whats the worst that can happen, get fired? I'm sure he'd rather be fired than dead.
    Getting fired is the least of the worries. Legal battle shit storm to come after being fired. Found guilty on all charges. Why? Because they carried when the rules/regs said NO. Not to mention the legal fees.
    Last edited by PA1936MN; June 8th, 2014 at 12:20 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast