Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Thumbs up glock 42 mini review

finally got one, took it to the range to give it a try. shooting at 50 feet at a rapid fire small bore bullseye target. had several fliers just outside of the black 9 ringers but most were center hits. ball type target ammo and hp defense ammo impacted the same location. first thing I noticed was recoil or should I say minimal recoil. I am comparing this against my db380,ppks and other so called pocket .380,s. I realize this is slightly larger but it still fits in my pocket. now the bad news, I had several malfunctions such as the slide staying open after the first shot. yes the slide stop engaged. no it wasn,t me. I shoot lefty and my hand is nowhere near it. next issue was charging the gun by pulling back on the slide and releasing. if the barrel is pointing downward the striker is protruding thru the breachface causing the rear of the case to hit it and jamb. yes if you lock the gun open and shake it you will see the striker move back and forth. none of my other glocks do this, time for some investigating. other than the above problems which I think will be delt with easily and quickly this is a solid option in the .380 pocket class with much more to offer than many of the others.

(Washington County)

Default Re: glock 42 mini review

I have heard that both those problems seem to happen initially. I just got a 42 on weds and plan on putting it through its paces tomorrow. I also shoot lefty.
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

(Cumberland County)

your gonna like it, I promise.

(Washington County)

I'm liking it so far. I have 5 other glocks and the 42 just seems to feel good.
    The gun seems very smooth. Magazines glide in and almost shoot out easily.
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

(Centre County)

friend of mine got one few weeks back. And we decided that we LOVE it.
    He thought the trigger was bit on heavy side, but I thought it was perfect weight for a carry gun.
    I was more than accurate with it(3" or so group at 7yd, rapid fire)
    I like the fact unlike many other pocket pistol, I can actually see the friggin sights).
    And the fact it was small enough to slip in to pocket, but big enough to get my hand around it comfortably.

So, I was this close to buying it. I really was. I had my plastic in my hand to make a purchase when a sale guy from the shot called me that they got it.

Only that at the time, I was in NY visiting family member. So I told him I'll put some money down to hold it until I get back to PA next week.

Then their sales manager said that the basically, I can either pay in full now, or he'll only hold it until following Monday with 20% down.

And I wasn't going to be back home until Thursday.
    After few min of heated talking back and forth, I told him there are other people that wants my money, and who would take in the consideration that the fact I have been buying MANY guns from this store ever since my go to shop was closed due to fire 2 years ago, and we are all first name basis, and that when I said I'll put 20% down, to pick up in 4 days should be good enough.(He was arguing that the he can sell it by end of the day)
    So I didn't buy it.
    So I ordered Stainless LCP with CTC laser from someone else.
    And that I would NEVER spend a dime at this store again(there were few more issues with this store that was generally regarded as good store until they hired new sales manager month or 2 ago)
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Lancaster County)

The Glock 42 will probably work out to be a decent shooter eventually. Google Glock 42 problems and you will find numerous reports of issues. It seems to be very picky on what ammo it likes.

As any new gun, there will be growing pains. No one during testing can subject a new product to every possible combination of ammo and shooter habits. I have never been a Glock fan but give it time and they should make it a reliable shooter.

(Cumberland County)

Have had mine for a few weeks and put a few hundred rounds through it and have had no problems at all. Great little gun and fun to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by vetman03 View Post
    The Glock 42 will probably work out to be a decent shooter eventually. Google Glock 42 problems and you will find numerous reports of issues. It seems to be very picky on what ammo it likes.

As any new gun, there will be growing pains. No one during testing can subject a new product to every possible combination of ammo and shooter habits. I have never been a Glock fan but give it time and they should make it a reliable shooter.
    That is why I have not bought a 42 yet. Too many issues reported, even during reviews. You would think after all the issues with the Gen 4 Glocks, Glock would have figured using the customer for R&D was a bad idea.

I have also been hearing that a lot of loads that run reliable in an LCP or Bodyguard won't run in a G42. So they have to run at max or sometimes over book max to get the 42 to function reliably. Makes me wonder if the RSA is too stiff.

(Luzerne County)

the 42 isn't suppose to do that, I never had that problem with mine. I'd contact glock if it keeps happening.

I was shooting federal target ammo through it with no problem. I haven't tried my hornady critical duty or critical defense through it yet.
    Last edited by redturbo0; June 8th, 2014 at 09:07 PM.