Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Mercer County)

Default first Glock, brand new 22

I decided to get my wife a gun and customize it for her birthday. Glocks are very easy to customize so I decided to get myself a glock before I put my wife's life on one. And after many failed attempts to buy a used glock, I decided to just buy a new one for myself a glock 22 gen 4. I'll be picking it up next week. Now my question is what should I do in terms of cleaning and such before I start judging the gun, like should I give it a good clean and lube then shoot, do I need to shoot several hundred rounds before it will be reliable, thanks in advance for the help

Default Re: first Glock, brand new 22

Usually they are good to go out of the box but it is best to make sure. What I usually do is ad some drops of lube to the "copper grease" (aka copper anti seize) and go shoot it. (the manual tells you where to lube) When I get home from shooting I detail strip and clean the gun which removes all the copper goo. A minimum number of rounds for a range trip for me is 100rds. So the first trip I would shoot 200 rounds and see how she runs. I also make sure to test my carry ammo for function before I start carrying the round.(usually minimum 100rds for that)

Quote Originally Posted by fatherofthree View Post
    I decided to just buy a new one for myself a glock 22 gen 4.
    Great choice its what i carry everyday!
    People always ask me why i never smile.
    I TELL THEM IT'S BECAUSE MY CORPSE IS STILL BREATHING AND THEY DON'T FUCKING GET IT!

(Centre County)

Wink Re: first Glock, brand new 22

Agree with dkf on the clean and lube stuff with the new Glocks. Don't forget you can get a 9mm barrel for the G22 and, with some 9mm mags, shoot the cheaper 9mm round.....
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

The only reason I detail strip a new gun is because I have found oil in the stricker channel of one of my new Glocks. The factory should know better than to put oil in there but a gun shop genius may add oil in the wrong places.

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    The only reason I detail strip a new gun is because I have found oil in the stricker channel of one of my new Glocks. The factory should know better than to put oil in there but a gun shop genius may add oil in the wrong places.
    No shit When and what gen was it?
    People always ask me why i never smile.
    I TELL THEM IT'S BECAUSE MY CORPSE IS STILL BREATHING AND THEY DON'T FUCKING GET IT!

(Bucks County)

New guns can be weird. I bought a Savage 10 FCP-K .308 and ran a patch thru the bore when I got it home and took it out of its box. Patch was black. Patch #25 was black. I called Savage and asked what they suggested.
    Man said hold on, I'll get a tech. Five minutes later he came back on and told me the tech had said, "Just shoot it!"

Was a gen 3. Was not much oil but there should not be any. The striker rides on plastic and oil just attracts crud which can cause a failure.