Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default First OC interaction

I’ve been open carrying for just about a year now, mostly in Southern Chester County where I live. In that time, I have had exactly zero interactions with other people regarding my OC habits until this past Saturday. The only person that I’ve had to debate about the wisdom of OC has been my wife who isn’t thrilled with the concept. She doesn’t mind CC, but thinks OC is asking for trouble. We’ve agreed to disagree on this topic and I will occasionally even cover up when I’m out with her, depending on her mood.

When she and I and our youngest went to the Lowes in Avondale this past Saturday, I was OC’ing my S&W 915. While perusing their selection of vegetable plants, an older gentleman walked up to us and said “I wanted to thank you for carrying”. I thanked him and had a short conversation on open carry legality in PA and when and why you need an LTCF. He said that he’d been thinking about applying for his and I talked to him about my experience in getting mine in Chester County (where he lives as well) and recommended that he check out the site here for more information.

After a pleasant conversation, the gentleman went on his way and we went back to picking out vegetables. I did not say a word to my wife about the conversation (she had heard all of it). After a few minutes of silence, she couldn’t take it anymore and said “You’re just eating this up aren’t you?” I told her I had no idea what she was talking about and picked up another squash plant and put it in our cart.

All in all, a really nice outing to Lowes.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: First OC interaction

A double win, nice!

(York County)

Well played!

(Monroe County)

Excellent!!

Quote Originally Posted by RightRock View Post
    I’ve been open carrying for just about a year now, mostly in Southern Chester County where I live. In that time, I have had exactly zero interactions with other people regarding my OC habits until this past Saturday. The only person that I’ve had to debate about the wisdom of OC has been my wife who isn’t thrilled with the concept. She doesn’t mind CC, but thinks OC is asking for trouble. We’ve agreed to disagree on this topic and I will occasionally even cover up when I’m out with her, depending on her mood.

When she and I and our youngest went to the Lowes in Avondale this past Saturday, I was OC’ing my S&W 915. While perusing their selection of vegetable plants, an older gentleman walked up to us and said “I wanted to thank you for carrying”. I thanked him and had a short conversation on open carry legality in PA and when and why you need an LTCF. He said that he’d been thinking about applying for his and I talked to him about my experience in getting mine in Chester County (where he lives as well) and recommended that he check out the site here for more information.

After a pleasant conversation, the gentleman went on his way and we went back to picking out vegetables. I did not say a word to my wife about the conversation (she had heard all of it). After a few minutes of silence, she couldn’t take it anymore and said “You’re just eating this up aren’t you?” I told her I had no idea what she was talking about and picked up another squash plant and put it in our cart.

That's great. Thanks for posting.

Glad your missus has a sense of humor as well.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by RightRock View Post
    This is the only thing I can see where you screwed up. Your Squash will probably be zucchini, your cantaloupe will be honeydew, lol.

(Chester County)

RightRock, I oc all over southern chester county all the time. Have for about 3yrs. Never have a prob with new garden PD, Kennett PD, or state PD, and only have had two bad experiences with the general public. And both were VERY UNINFORMED people. Carry on.......
    Fear is not an option

Great experience!
    I have been more open to open carry lately, the 1st few times I was on guard thinking that I was going to be getting looked at after my 2nd outing I felt much more comfortable. Right now I'm OC'ing in the west end of Monroe county where I live and into the stores in carbon county and have had no issues at all. Even gave a guy a hand with his kid last week at an outside Ice cream joint with it on my hip, I'm pretty sure he saw it and there wasn't even a 2nd glance.

(Tioga County)

Great story. Keep us posted on the squash.
    MikeP