Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Head injuries soar since repeal of helmet law

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08165/889612-114.stm

Head injuries soar since repeal of helmet law
    Friday, June 13, 2008
    By Jack Kelly, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Repeal of Pennsylvania's motorcycle helmet law has led to a big increase in serious head injuries, according to a University of Pittsburgh study made public yesterday.

In September 2003, Pennsylvania largely repealed its law requiring motorcycle riders to wear helmets. Under current law, the only riders required to wear them are those under 21, and those who have less than two years of experience and who have not taken a safety course.

Researchers from several of Pitt's Schools of Health Sciences examined discharge data from all acute care hospitals in the state for the two years preceding and the two years following repeal. They found a 32 percent increase in head injury deaths, and a 42 percent increase in head injury hospitalizations. The non-head-injury death rate did not change.

There were 1.3 head injury deaths per 10,000 motorcycle registrations in 2001 and 1.9 in 2002. In 2004 and 2005, those jumped to 2.8 and 3.0, respectively.

The number of head-injured, hospitalized motorcyclists requiring further care at facilities specializing in rehabilitation and long-term care increased 87 percent after repeal of the helmet law, the researchers found. Total acute care hospital charges stemming from motorcycle-related head injuries rose 132 percent.

In dollars, for 2001 and 2002 together, acute care hospital charges totaled $53.5 million. They rose to $124.2 million for the years 2004 and 2005.

Helmet use by motorcycle riders involved in reported crashes declined from 82 percent in the two years before repeal of the law to 58 percent afterward, the Pitt researchers said.

In 2006, the state Legislative Budget and Finance Committee reported a 33 percent increase in trauma center admission rates for motorcycle-related head injuries for the years 2004-2005 from the years 2001-2002, but only an 11 percent increase in motorcycle-related deaths. That study didn't distinguish between head injury deaths and all motorcycle injury deaths. The Pitt study did.

"Our findings strengthen the argument for more comprehensive helmet laws that help protect riders and lower the cost of health care," said study co-author Hank Weiss, an associate professor in Pitt's Department of Neurological Surgery in the Center for Injury Research and Control.

Motorcycle helmet laws have weakened nationwide since 1975, when the federal government stopped withholding highway money from states that did not have them. Only 20 states currently require all motorcycle riders to wear helmets.

"You can make a study say almost anything you want," said Lynn Wesley, legislative coordinator for ABATE (Alliance of Bikers Aimed Toward Education) of Pennsylvania, a group that lobbied for the 2003 relaxation of the helmet law. "Medical mistakes are the third leading cause of deaths. Maybe the doctors should clean their own closet before they throw stones at others."

The best way to reduce motorcycle accidents is to focus on avoiding collisions, not on surviving them, said Steve Zurl, public relations director for ABATE of Pennsylvania. Louisiana recently passed a stricter helmet law, he said, but fatalities went up.

"A very high percentage of fatalities involve untrained, unlicensed riders," he said.

Another reason there are more fatalities in Pennsylvania, Mr. Zurl said, is that motorcyclists from Maryland, New Jersey and New York, which have strict helmet laws, come to Pennsylvania so they can ride without helmets.

"They're attracted by freedom of choice," he said.

The study, which was led by Dr. Kristen Mertz, an assistant professor in the Department of Epidemiology in the Graduate School of Public Health, will be published in the August issue of the American Journal of Public Health.
    Jack Kelly can be reached at jkelly@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1476.
    First published on June 13, 2008 at 12:00 am

I have to admit that I rode without a helmet today. I rode from my house to the school bus stop 3 houses away. Then after the bus left, I put on my helmet and did my errands.

I still think that repealing the helmet law was stupid.
    Last edited by PisnNapalm; June 13th, 2008 at 10:48 AM.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Fayette County)

Default Re: Head injuries soar since repeal of helmet law

There is a similar article in the Pittsburgh Tribune review:

Trib
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." - Elbert Hubbard

(Chester County)

I think wearing a helmet should be the right of the individual to decide. It is a thinning of the herd, you are not smart enough to cover up your bean don't come crying to me when you smash it all over the road. I saw some guy the other day on a Ninja 650 wearing basketball shorts no shirt and open toed sandals. He was doing about 80mph on 422 and all I could think about it is "I wonder what his name is so I know it is him I am reading about in the paper."

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

(Allegheny County)

i think people who ride without a helmet are...well, to be nice about it...not acting in their own best interest.

i think living in a free country means people have the right to...well, to be nice about it...not act in their own best interest.

i think insurance companies should be allowed to put clauses into their insurance policies saying that they will not cover any head injuries caused by not wearing a helmet.

i think hospitals and other care-givers should refuse to provide care for head injuries that are caused by not wearing a helmet unless they are certain they will be paid by the individual or by an insurance company that decided not put a non-payment for no-helmet clause in the policy.

i think seatbelts and not wearing them should work the same way.

it's a free country. you should be free to be stupid. you should also be free to reap what you sow.

(Chester County)

I'll add smoking to your list of "stupid" activities. If you happen to get lung cancer because you've smoked for the last 20 years, then you should reap what you sow. Don't raise my insurance premiums because of your addiction.

I like your thinking LRT. Let them remove themselves from the gene pool.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Chester County)

since when was the helmet law repealed in PA? im pretty sure its still on the books, it was just CHANGED. The Law applies to all those w/o a full motorcycle license, and those under 21 (atleast thats what i though) and i think thats a good thing we shouldnt require adults to do things that keep themselves safe, they should do it out of common sense and if they dont oh well

(Montgomery County)

it's a free country. you should be free to be stupid. you should also be free to reap what you sow.
    I fully agree with your sentiment, but this country is not free IMO, just more free than others.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

I don't need anyone telling me what to do.

(Philadelphia County)

Not wearing a helmet is stupid. You simply cannot argue otherwise.

But I really wouldn't want my Tax dollars working to FORCE people to wear theirs.

Ever hear the "Click-it-or-Ticket" commercials?? Thats quite a bit of money they spent there.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast