Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Not really a close call today.

While getting into my car at Home Depot today the guy that had been sitting in his car when I got there was still in his car. I was in the process of buckling my son in when he started to get out of his car. His door opened and was touching my mirror. No big deal nothing was getting hurt. At this point there was a space between his door and my open door for him to get out of his car and stand up. The next thing I see is an open knife in his hand as he is climbing out of the car. I then went through several ways to handle the situation in my mind. I settled on instantly locking the car and shutting the door while working my way to the opposite side of the car. Fortunately the guy was just getting out of his car with a knife if his hand for some reason. Things could have got real interesting really quick. Lessons learned: Knives are dangerous. Always be armed. I had a bad vibe about a guy sitting in the car with the motor off with the windows open just a crack when I pulled in...
    Last edited by reichebrown; June 1st, 2014 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Typo

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Not really a close all today.

Glad you're safe!

Knives ARE VERY dangerous . Good situational awareness.

Cb

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by reichebrown View Post
    While getting into my car at Home Depot today the guy that had been sitting in his car when I got there was still in his car. I was in the process of buckling my son in when he started to get out of his car. His door opened and was touching my mirror. No big deal nothing was getting hurt. At this point there was a space between his door and my open door for him to get out of his car and stand up. The next thing I see is an open knife in his hand as he is climbing out of the car. I then went through several ways to handle the situation in my mind. I settled on instantly locking the car and shutting the door while working my way to the opposite side of the car. Fortunately the guy was just getting out of his car with a knife if his hand for some reason. Things could have got real interesting really quick. Lessons learned: Knives are dangerous. Always be armed. I had a bad vibe about a guy sitting in the car with the motor off with the windows open just a crack when I pulled in...
    Quote Originally Posted by solrac7 View Post
    Glad you're safe!

Cb
    Glad everything turned out OK for you. Knives can be dangerous in close quarters.

Your noticing the guy getting out of the car (even though he had no ill intent) is good. However, perhaps, better situational awareness would have been not parking next to him if he gave you a bad vibe when you pulled in. I've pull in and then right out of a parking space if I notice the car next to me is all dented...the person driving such a car is probably not going to take much car not to slam their door into my car when they return. I would have definitely parked somewhere else if I saw someone in a car turned off with the windows up...it was kinda warm here in the Poconos the last few days.

Default Re: Not really a close call today.

The poor guy in the car had probably been sitting there for hours waiting for his wife, who was in the store picking out curtain hardware or flowers to plant. He was likely going to use the knife to slash his wrists & didn't want to make a mess in his car.

There's usually a logical explanation for everything.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by reichebrown View Post
    While getting into my car at Home Depot today the guy that had been sitting in his car when I got there was still in his car. I was in the process of buckling my son in when he started to get out of his car. His door opened and was touching my mirror. No big deal nothing was getting hurt. At this point there was a space between his door and my open door for him to get out of his car and stand up. The next thing I see is an open knife in his hand as he is climbing out of the car. I then went through several ways to handle the situation in my mind. I settled on instantly locking the car and shutting the door while working my way to the opposite side of the car. Fortunately the guy was just getting out of his car with a knife if his hand for some reason.
    There is also the possibility that the guy who was creeping you out was about to initiate a criminal encounter with you but realized by your reaction that he had lost the initiative.

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    There is also the possibility that the guy who was creeping you out was about to initiate a criminal encounter with you but realized by your reaction that he had lost the initiative.
    I can count on zero hands how many times I have gotten out of my car with and open knife.
    "The first time any mans freedom is trodden on we're all damaged."JeanLucPicard

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    ^^^^^^^This!^^^^Makes Sense!

(York County)

Could have been a dry run on his part, maybe working up his nerve. What did he do after he got out with the knife? I too count zero as the number of times I've ever exited a vehicle with a drawn knife. Never doubt your intuition, even if it turns out to be "wrong".

I've never faced anyone with a knife, but I'm told you WILL be cut. But, you should be cut while you dig his eyeball out of his skull with your thumb. At that point, make it your intent to punch him in the throat with all your might. Get your injury first and don't stop until you have rendered him non-functional. Only your intentions matter. Not your tools, not your skill, not your size or training. Without your intentions, none of the rest will carry you through. Criminals don't fear the weapon. They fear the weapon in the hands of and operator with the intent to use it. Make that intention clear and excercize it with resolve. Get in first.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by solrac7 View Post
    Glad you're safe!

Cb
    My liberal friends say guns are very dangerous and should be banned.

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by libra8 View Post
    I can count on zero hands how many times I have gotten out of my car with and open knife.
    I usually hold it in my teeth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast