Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Great encounter in York, PA today

Granted, I was CC during this encounter, but I promise...I'm going somewhere 'open' with this story...

My better half and I were out for a walk in York City with our little one (We live in a nicer section) and on our way back she turned to me and said 'Have you seen my phone?'

Suffice to say, a conversation ensued as to whether or not she'd forgotten it...while we were having a discussion, we noticed a York City officer chatting with a "neighbor" of ours...about a block away. As we wondered what it was about, I hear the police officer or neighbor whistle at us from across the street.

We walked over to find that the neighbor had found her phone!

The little one got to sit in the police car and have his picture taken and I had a nice chat with the officer (Kehler) about his Glock 22, how he liked it...and OC.

His words verbatim:

You'll never have a problem with Open Carrying in York, it's your right and we respect it. I mentioned that I was CCing because we were going to the park with the kiddies, since I would be climbing around and such with the little guy and it didn't spook him in the least.

Nevertheless, those words made me very, very happy. So far in my experience with York, they've proven true.

We continued to chat about things for about another five minutes before we all went our separate ways, all in all - OC seems to be a non-issue, and York PD seems well trained.

Not expressly an OC encounter, but it could have been...and it would have been highly positive.
    Last edited by RonStoppable; May 31st, 2014 at 05:36 PM.

(York County)

Default Re: Great encounter in York, PA today

The Officer is correct, and his words match my experiences here for the past 5 1/2 years!

If CC is your thing, then by all means conceal, but you should know that you are concealing as a free choice, and if you ever decide to open carry there are quite a few of us who do and have done for years.

Glad you got your phone back!
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    The Officer is correct, and his words match my experiences here for the past 5 1/2 years!

If CC is your thing, then by all means conceal, but you should know that you are concealing as a free choice, and if you ever decide to open carry there are quite a few of us who do and have done for years.

Glad you got your phone back!
    Oh, I prefer to OC as often as possible. But even rabid-advocates such as myself sometimes have to make a judgment call

I have to say again, I was just so darn tickled. It wasn't even a robotic 'It's your choice' it was very genuine.

Re: Phone - Me too!
    Last edited by RonStoppable; May 31st, 2014 at 05:53 PM.

(York County)

Outstanding RonStoppable!
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington (January 17th, 1790)
    Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office!
    ..: TO SERVE AND PROTECT! Positive Stories :..

(York County)

Lots of nice places to visit in York. Glad to hear about your good experience!

III% - Stand and be counted

(York County)

Glad to hear your Encounter was positive! Like other locals, I've found they've been great for years. I lived right on Market St. for eight or ten years beginning in the mid 90's. For the Halloween parade we would have a huge party every year. Once I dressed as a cowboy with two polished Ruger Vaqueros to boot. Standing on the street watching the parade I had two uniformed policemen walk up to me and say, 'you can't do that'. I looked over and the second said,'you can't have a beer bottle on the sidewalk'. We had a nice chat, one commented on the nice pair of Rugers, and I quickly switched to a plastic cup!
    Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God.

As a new OC'er this is great to hear. Thank you for sharing.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by RonStoppable View Post
    ...we noticed a York City officer chatting with a "neighbor" of ours...
    Out west here our one part-time cop was on duty Friday afternoon. We saw him driving up and down the main drag, looking bored.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jhaydeno View Post
    Glad to hear your Encounter was positive! Like other locals, I've found they've been great for years. I lived right on Market St. for eight or ten years beginning in the mid 90's....(truncated for space)

Yep, I'm near Springettsbury and George, not far from the Hospital. I think some folks call it 'Springdale' or 'Doctors Row'

It's good to know that even in "Rough and Tough" York City, there are others flying the flag.

(Bucks County)

In my 54 years on this planet, I have found: The worse (high crime, dangerous to LEO) the area, the more the cops tend to respect citizens rights to carry and defend themselves.
    The more 'civilized' the area (low crime rates, zero danger to cops, cops are the dangerous people: Warminster) the less willing they are to allow you to enjoy your rights.

Why? Well, in my opinion, in the dangerous areas, they know the armed citizen is their best friend. In the safe areas, you are a threat to their careers. By this I mean, the more civilians carrying, the less crime. Less crime=less need for overpaid cops. You are a threat to their careers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast