Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Sporterized Mosin

Well i was wondering if any of you on here have attempted or otherwise succeeded in sporterizing a mosin nagant rifle. I was thinking about buying one and seeing what I can come up with. So if you have any input on this task and or some pics to share please do so. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Sporterized Mosin

For those of us who are not too familiar with the terminology, what do you mean by "sporterizing" a rifle?
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

Why not just buy a Finnish M39 and be done with it? It will be a lot more accurate than most mosin nagants and the work will already have been done for you.

(Luzerne County)

Or an M-44 Mosin which is already a "Sporterized" Carbine.

The Finnish M39 will outshoot the M44 anyday.

(Franklin County)

Heres the best definition of sporterize, at least what my mind conceives.

Mosin.jpg The before

HPIM0877.jpg The after
    both pics were found online.
    Last edited by crowsnest2002; January 23rd, 2007 at 08:01 PM.

(Luzerne County)

I have a M-44 Mosin that I am selling that was "sporterized" by dropping it in a black sythetic stock with recoil pad. Cheap, easy and effective.

Have you considered leaving it just the way it is? They work pretty good without modifying them, too. And, it's cheaper.

The M44 is a good gun, I prefer the M38 over the M44 since it's balanced a little better. The M38 lacks the side-folding bayonet, and the extra weight that goes with it.

Putting a scope is problematic with the Mosin-Nagant due to the split receiver design, the originals used a side mount that required significant amounts of machining and fitting. The aftermarket scope mounts replace the rear sight leaf, and require a long eye relief scope.

M39s are a little less common, and very collectible. They're also one of the most modern Mosins, and as Aubie pointed out, among the best shooters.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Luzerne County)

I have to agree with Rifleman. They may not look or seem like much but pick one up and start shooting it and you will be out of ammo in no time and grinning ear to ear. All the Mosins are nice (beauty is in the eye of the shooter) robust and reliable shooters. The M-44s are pretty cheap while the 38s and 39s command a higher premium. Pick one that you like and can afford and go shoot it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    Have you considered leaving it just the way it is? They work pretty good without modifying them, too. And, it's cheaper.

The M44 is a good gun, I prefer the M38 over the M44 since it's balanced a little better. The M38 lacks the side-folding bayonet, and the extra weight that goes with it.

Putting a scope is problematic with the Mosin-Nagant due to the split receiver design, the originals used a side mount that required significant amounts of machining and fitting. The aftermarket scope mounts replace the rear sight leaf, and require a long eye relief scope.

M39s are a little less common, and very collectible. They're also one of the most modern Mosins, and as Aubie pointed out, among the best shooters.

(Lebanon County)

The Mosin Nagant is a very interesting piece of hardware in its various forms:

http://7.62x54r.net/

The M91/30 is the ultimate 'reach out and touch something' of firearm interfaces...eg: it's lllooonnnggg! (especially with the bayonet attached...jeez)

The M38 variant seems to be a favorite among all enthuiasts and brings the highest prices...a nice & balanced carbine

Then there's the M44 which seems to be the most plentiful lately...carbine length with a bayonet attached...what to do with the bayonet?!? (I guess it could be used a a shishcabob skewer...for steaks!)

Seriously, I have seen sporterized Mosins sold from time to time at Gander Mountain stores with wood stocks (I can't recall exact price...between $175 & $215)

For those who have M44's, the bayonet can be removed, but you have to be careful not to get your hands pinched...

As far as accuracy and sight adjustment: the Russian doctrine included the idea of mounted bayonets at all times when the M44 was conceived, so the sight placement was determined on having the bayonets extended; if you shoot yours with the bayonet folded or bayonet removed, then you may have to do your windage adjustment by moving the front sight (dovetail mounted) with a brass hammer and set your elevation using the rear sight

I have an M44 on order and plan on leaving it stock and using Brown Bear 203 grain soft points as a 'backup' weapon in case my Stevens 200 .30-06 hits the ground (can't trust the optics to have the same zero after an impact like that)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast