Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default NJ long gun transfer

I am a PA resident and want to give a Rem 870 wingmaster to my nephew who is a NJ resident. Does anyone know how I should go about this? I know there is a very rigid procedure for handguns. Are long guns handled the same way? Thanks for any help on this.

Bob D

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: NJ long gun transfer

It must go through an FFL. That FFL can be in any state since it is a long gun.

And I'm thinking your nephew will need some sort of FID card.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Delaware County)

Knight, thanks for the quick reply. If I'm reading you right, he could come to PA, have it transferred to him by a PA FFL and then bring it back to NJ. Yes? He just got approval from his local PD to purchase two handguns and that will happen soon. What exactly is the "FID" card?

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by bug View Post
    Knight, thanks for the quick reply. If I'm reading you right, he could come to PA, have it transferred to him by a PA FFL and then bring it back to NJ. Yes? He just got approval from his local PD to purchase two handguns and that will happen soon. What exactly is the "FID" card?
    In NJ there are pistol purchase licenses, each of which is good to buy one pistol, and there is a Firearms Purchaser's ID or something (FID?) that allows you to buy longguns and pistol ammo.

He needs the FID. The pistol licenses won't help. Most people don't get the pistol license (especially 2) without already having or getting the FID, but it is his choice to get the FID or not so it is possible.

In NJ if you want to buy long guns of any type you need a firearms arms ID card, he will most likely have it but it's not required to purchase hadgunds since that requires a separate permit. As long as the said long gun is NJ legal and the wingmaster should be he can come out to PA and do the transfer through them and drive it back to NJ as long as he has his firearms ID card.

(Chester County)

In addition to all of the above accurate info, if the transfer is being done through other than a NJ FFL then the giftor might want to make a few copies of the NJ Certificate of Eligibility in case the FFL doesn't have copies.

http://njsp.org/info/pdf/firearms/sp-634.pdf
    IANAL

(Delaware County)

Thanks folks for the great info. He does have the FID card. And now for the $64 question. Can I personally drive over to NJ and deliver the Rem 870 and a S&W model 19 handgun to his FFL?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by bug View Post
    Thanks folks for the great info. He does have the FID card. And now for the $64 question. Can I personally drive over to NJ and deliver the Rem 870 and a S&W model 19 handgun to his FFL?
    Save your $64 for the lawyer's fee

To answer your question, unless you have an NJFID card and an NJ CCW, technically you cannot be in possession of both firearms within New Jersey. I say this because you are not covered under any exemption of New Jersey's prohibiting statutes. Surprising as it may seem to most, New Jersey did not provide an exception for transporting TO a place a sale but only from a place sale back to a residence. Now this may be reading the statutes a little too strict but it is the letter of the law. If you decide to make the delivery to the NJ FFL I would suggest that you transport without any ammunition in the vehicle and with the firearms as inaccessible as possible – anything that may be a mitigating circumstance should you be discovered and charged.

My suggestion: have the NJ recipient meet you at a PA FFL. The transfer of the longarm can be concluded at that time and the handgun can be provided the PA FFL for shipment to a cooperative NJ FFL for consummation of its transfer later.
    IANAL

Yes you should have no issues as they are both NJ "approved" firearms. Just make sure they are unloaded and cased in the trunk of your car.

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    Save your $64 for the lawyer's fee

To answer your question, unless you have an NJFID card and an NJ CCW, technically you cannot be in possession of both firearms within New Jersey. I say this because you are not covered under any exemption of New Jersey's prohibiting statutes. Surprising as it may seem to most, New Jersey did not provide an exception for transporting TO a place a sale but only from a place sale back to a residence. Now this may be reading the statutes a little too strict but it is the letter of the law. If you decide to make the delivery to the NJ FFL I would suggest that you transport without any ammunition in the vehicle and with the firearms as inaccessible as possible – anything that may be a mitigating circumstance should you be discovered and charged.

My suggestion: have the NJ recipient meet you at a PA FFL. The transfer of the longarm can be concluded at that time in the handgun can be provided the PA FFL for shipment to a cooperative NJ FFL for consummation of its transfer later.
    Hmm interesting there are a few dozen members who shoot various competitions at CJRP who are out of state residents. I can't answer if they have an out of state FID but I don't see everyone having one or keeping one active.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast