Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Transferring Firearms to CA Family Member

A friend recently came into possession of an old shotgun and revolver when clearing out his now deceased parent's home. I know "old" may matter here and I'll try to figure that out but I'm going to guess 50+ years old as a starting point.

Question one is does this guy have to do anything to become the legal owner of those firearms.

Question two is this guy would like to give these firearms (I've suggested he figure out if they're valuable first!!!) to his cousin in CA. Any starting points on how he'd do that? Would it help if the cousin in CA was C&R Licenses (I know age will matter here.) But it's CA so I can't imagine this will be easy???? The guns are physically here in PA.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Transferring Firearms to CA Family Member

Will probably have to be shipped to an FFL dealer and then the 10-day waiting period.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

1. If he is on the will he is the new owner. No paper work to do. I would suggest finding out the value of the firearms. I'm don't know much about shotguns but I do know that some older ones can be quite valuable.

2. Have the recipient contact his FFL with the info. on the guns. He will know if they are legal in CA. If legal, I'm sure he wouldn't mind the business of transferring them.
    "The first time any mans freedom is trodden on we're all damaged."JeanLucPicard

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by libra8 View Post
    1. If he is on the will he is the new owner. No paper work to do. I would suggest finding out the value of the firearms. I'm don't know much about shotguns but I do know that some older ones can be quite valuable.

2. Have the recipient contact his FFL with the info. on the guns. He will know if they are legal in CA. If legal, I'm sure he wouldn't mind the business of transferring them.
    For clarification - if he is a beneficiary and the executor, as the estate's representative, distributes the firearms to him as part of his proceeds then:

There is no FFL transfer required (unless the executor so elects). The recipient should retain a copy of the will or other documents indicating his estate interests, an executor's distribution letter, and copy of the executor's short certificate. [If there was no will then replace "executor" with "administrator" in the preceeding].
    IANAL