Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Trying to renew license in Montgomery County

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    I'm not aware of any legal duty to "self-report" if you've violated the terms of eligibility for an LTCF. The sheriff is required to revoke your license if he becomes aware you're ineligible, and you are required to surrender a revoked license within five days of receipt of the notice of revocation.

Agree with you and others that it would be unwise and potentially illegal to try to use the sixth-months-after-expiration exemption in a circumstance like this. The OP has been put on notice that his eligibility status is in question. If he carries anyway and is subsequently found ineligible for renewal he's knowingly committed a crime. (This is distinguishable from someone carrying post-expiration when he has no reason to think he's not eligible for renewal, a situation in which a court is much more likely to be understanding due to lack of knowledge/intent.)
    When i was issued mine 4 years ago, i was handed a card that said you must self report, not when they may or may not discover..

this was Bucks BTW

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by thorsmitersaw View Post
    He asked me if I had any 'contact' with police lately (which I didnt really understand what he was saying. I thought maybe he meant 'contacted by'. He was meaning had I been arrested recently) to which I ended up replying no.
    Did you turn in a completed police card check? Sounds like you did not. From what I've read in other posts, if you do not bring in the completed card, they take up to the full 45 days to issue your permit.

Bill

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by wew3 View Post
    Did you turn in a completed police card check? Sounds like you did not. From what I've read in other posts, if you do not bring in the completed card, they take up to the full 45 days to issue your permit.

Bill
    This exact thing happened to my buddy. He didn't turn in his local police check card and had to wait almost a month. Kind of stupid. That was 1 year ago.

I came from Bucks county, and had to renew my license a couple years ago. I was surprised that you had to do the local background check also.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by LutherJackson View Post
    This exact thing happened to my buddy. He didn't turn in his local police check card and had to wait almost a month. Kind of stupid. That was 1 year ago.

I came from Bucks county, and had to renew my license a couple years ago. I was surprised that you had to do the local background check also.
    Why is it stupid? They are doing it different that every other county. Why should you reward the county for making you do their work for them?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by t1066 View Post
    Why is it stupid? They are doing it different that every other county. Why should you reward the county for making you do their work for them?
    I have no idea what you're trying to say here. The background check from your local police is stupid. When I got my LTC in Bucks county, I only had to go to the court house.

Montco makes you submit a local background check, and in Abington it's $20. So far my wife has waited two weeks and three days for this to come back. Then, she will have to go down to Norristown to get the same background check, and pay the $50 (unless it's gone up since I got mine renewed 3 years ago).

So I was saying it was stupid that my buddy had to wait a month extra because he forgot to do his local background check.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by thorsmitersaw View Post
    So I went to the sheriffs office this morning to renew my permit. I had it issued in 2009 in Franklin County PA. I waited in the office while the guy sent it in to Harrisburg. Now I am waiting another 15 days for a call back. Apparently they are investigating something on my record? He asked me if I had any 'contact' with police lately (which I didnt really understand what he was saying. I thought maybe he meant 'contacted by'. He was meaning had I been arrested recently) to which I ended up replying no.

How the hell have I been walking around with a concealed permit for 5 years and now when I renew suddenly there is something that requires investigation? I have not had any arrests or anything more than a speeding ticket in the time since my original had been issued.

Is this normal? Feel like I am getting hassled.

Are there any steps to take at this particular juncture or should I just wait? What do I do if I get rejected? Can I make some sort of appeal somehow?

What do I do about my expiring permit? It expires in 2 days... I am sure walking around with an expired license is just as illegal as walking around WITH one in the eyes of cops...
    As a few have already mentioned, MONTCO uses a "police check card" to check with your local PD to see if you've been a bad boy or girl. If you do the leg work for them you get your LTCF in short order, if not they drag their feet. It sucks, some say it's illegal, but if I were you I wouldn't worry unless you come back denied.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by LutherJackson View Post
    I have no idea what you're trying to say here.
    I was asking questions because I couldn't tell for sure if you were saying your friend was stupid for not doing the police check card, or if the county was stupid for wanting him to do it.

Personally, I think they should go with the same standard as almost all the other counties, give than the process is supposed to be the same in all of them. If they want to check what the local police has to say about you, they should call them up themselves.

My personal preference is that everybody stop doing the police check card, now that they won't deny you if you fail to do it. If enough people stop doing it, they will probably stop asking people to do it.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by t1066 View Post
    I was asking questions because I couldn't tell for sure if you were saying your friend was stupid for not doing the police check card, or if the county was stupid for wanting him to do it.

Personally, I think they should go with the same standard as almost all the other counties, give than the process is supposed to be the same in all of them. If they want to check what the local police has to say about you, they should call them up themselves.

My personal preference is that everybody stop doing the police check card, now that they won't deny you if you fail to do it. If enough people stop doing it, they will probably stop asking people to do it.
    Oh ok. Thanks for clearing that up.

I agree that the process should be uniform for the entire state. I also want to see the local check go away.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12