Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default My boy has earned a new .22

My boy just got his final 2nd grade report card for the year.

Straight A's all year.

Made Advanced for reading on the Terra Nova testing, and just missed Advanced for math by two points.

He's earned a new .22. Gotta be less than $150, semi-auto or bolt not important since we are moving soon to a location where he can hunt with either.

I'm thinking perhaps Marlin Model 60 or Savage. I think a 10/22 might be a bit too many $$$$$.

Any other ideas on a decent low priced .22?
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: My boy has earned a new .22

I have a Marlin Model 60, a Lakefield(Older Savage) Mark II and a Ruger 10/22.

My 10/22 is a little finicky, it needs some work. That is out of your price range but you may be able to pick one up used for 150. I would pick it, it could probably be handed down to your sons kids some day! Good gun, good camping/hiking/survival rifle. Plus many options.

The Marlin Model 60 is solid, tubular loading is slow but it isn't a combat arm anyway. Mine is very reliable and well built.

The Lakefield is also nice. Strong, smooth bolt. Very accurate and easy to scope.

Both my Marlin and Lakefield have probably 10,000 plus rounds in them and don't show signs of wear from the firing itself(dropping, rain, mud, woods, camping did give them both marks!)

You can't go wrong with any of them, I'd check out the Remington 597 though. It is next on my .22 list. Semi-automatic, retails for about $150. Magazines are cheap, check them out.

(Jefferson County)

I can give propz to the Marlin 60. Mine is at least 25 years old, possibly 30 and shoots just as well as it did when I got it off a friend 20 years ago.

Thousands upon thousands of rnds of 22 long rifle. And I think I've only cleaned it 2 or 3 times. lol
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Between a rock and a hard place, Pennsylvania
    (York County)

I would also pick a Marlin 60 as well if you want new. They are a good rifle for the mone, and it was also my first gun as well. You could also pick up a lot of nice pre-owned .22 for a c-note or less if you look hard enough. Nothing beats the quality of an older remingthon, marlin, mossberg, ect from the post war era.

(Berks County)

If I were going to buy a new .22, I'd try to scrape out another 150-200 dollars and get a CZ 513 basic model.

I've only had the oppertunity to shoot one, twice but I fell in love with that thing.

If I wasn't in the process of saving for an AR, I might just buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by zzeiber View Post
    If I were going to buy a new .22, I'd try to scrape out another 150-200 dollars and get a CZ 513 basic model.

I've only had the oppertunity to shoot one, twice but I fell in love with that thing.

If I wasn't in the process of saving for an AR, I might just buy one.
    Wish we could. We don't even really have the $150 to spare tomorrow night, but if we wait a couple weeks I'm not sure he'll REALLY connect the reward with the work. As it is, so much for my chronograph, but some things are more important, I reckon

Raising kids is kinda like rasing dogs. Gotta reward 'em quick for good behavior LOL.

(Berks County)

Raising kids is kinda like rasing dogs. Gotta reward 'em quick for good behavior LOL.
    Give him a snasauge and tell him to stay?

/got nothing

Quote Originally Posted by zzeiber View Post
    Give him a snasauge and tell him to stay?

/got nothing
    LMAO!!! Snausage? Well, beef jerky isn't all THAT different!!

(Chester County)

Ruger 10/22

The rifle can be changed as he grows up. When he's older he may want to change how it looks, make it into a tac driver, keep it as a plinker, etc... There's far more options available to a 10/22.

You ought to be able to find a used one for about $150.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Allegheny County)

I'd advise a Henry lever, but they are well over $200.00, yet worth it. They will shoot CBs, shorts, longs, LRs in RN, HP, shot-shells.

Suggest you save some more and seriously consider one. Take your son to a funstore and let him handle one, he may be motivated enough to wait while you continue to save.

OTOH, Dick's Sporting Goods (among others) has an occasional sale on a Savage(?) mag-fed semi .22LR, the 64??

All I recall was that it was like $50.00-$90.00 last Black Friday (when Dick's was selling Henrys for $199.00 and 10/22s for $150.00!!!!) and the little semi was blue steel with a synthetic green stock - and looked NICE. They have since had it on sale for the same price at least once.

For the low bux, I definately should of grabbed one, hell, I bought airsoft guns for more.

Maybe someone can tap in here and set us straight on that Savage?? .22 that Dicks had.

Of course, there is always the WASR22 AK47 in .22LR, but I'm pretty certain that boat has sailed.

EDIT - Just discovered the Dick's sale gun was a special clearanced Mossberg 702 Plinkster...
    Last edited by nfafan; June 13th, 2008 at 12:29 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast