Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Kel Tec P3AT .380

So I got a nice pocket carry gun, which will be ideal for work (so I don't print, its hard with my uniform) and as a BUG for everyday carry. Does anyone own one, or have any range reports or issues with it? I would appreciate the info. Thanks!

Also I am aware of the new Ruger pocket gun... I'd rather use something I know works and has been around for awhile. I'm a little sceptical about brand new guns in case there are any problems with them first thing.
    Last edited by Pro2A; June 12th, 2008 at 07:32 PM.

(Blair County)

Default Re: Kel Tec P3AT .380

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    So I got a nice pocket carry gun, which will be ideal for work (so I don't print, its hard with my uniform) and as a BUG for everyday carry. Does anyone own one, or have any range reports or issues with it? I would appreciate the info. Thanks!

Also I am aware of the new Ruger pocket gun... I'd rather use something I know works and has been around for awhile. I'm a little sceptical about brand new guns in case there are any problems with them first thing.
    Search this site for Kel Tec and for Ruger LCP. There is a wealth of information here on both models.

My father bought a Kel Tec a year or so ago. I did not buy one because I did not like the finish. A month or two ago I bought the LCP. Better finish.

Whichever you decide to buy get yourself some snap caps. Apparently there is an issue with dry firing either pistol. I load a snap cap in the MAGAZINE first, so my last shot does not come down on an empty chamber.

Got that idea here too.
    ~ Luke... Come to the dark side... We have cookies! ~

(Pike County)

Have 2, love'em. #1 hated WW Silvertips, would not feed them at all. I use Cor-Bon PowRBall for carry loads in both. They are almost invisible in Desantis Nemisis pocket holsters. Finish is a bit rough, but I am very happy that I got them.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jailkeeper View Post
    Search this site for Kel Tec and for Ruger LCP. There is a wealth of information here on both models.

My father bought a Kel Tec a year or so ago. I did not buy one because I did not like the finish. A month or two ago I bought the LCP. Better finish.

Whichever you decide to buy get yourself some snap caps. Apparently there is an issue with dry firing either pistol. I load a snap cap in the MAGAZINE first, so my last shot does not come down on an empty chamber.

Got that idea here too.

Ya I noticed the frame seemed a little "cheap". I guess they have to do that to keep down on the weight since it is a pocket gun after all. There is no sense in making a small gun and it feeling like a ton of lead in your pocket. But from what I hear its a good realiable gun, and can get you out of a pickle when you are unable to carry a larger gun.

(Blair County)

Make sure you clean it and shoot it once in a while. I had to shoot about a hundred rounds out of it before i figured out were it hits. Every couple times to the range i shoot a clip or two out of it. Mine is real picky about ammo.

(Bucks County)

Have 2 P3-AT's and a P-32 and an LCP. All have been perfect function wise.

P3-AT #1 had a catastrophic failure of the hammer spring. It was the first shot of a practice session and the gun was useless after 1 round. That prompted the purchase of #2 and the LCP when it became available. No problems since. Great carry guns. Carry rear pocket in Nemesis. Hence my user ID here.

I picked up a P3-AT gen. 2 used. Guessing an owner switching over the LCP. I have to admit, I wanted an LCP and as reviews came out, I shyed away(firing pin break, slide locking open on own, recent rugar recall of another pistol). So I decided to go with a pocket gun that had a track record. Just three things I would suggest, fire 100+ rounds through it, polish feed ramp, understand the first round our a magazine needs a good hand to operate the slide, and a wimpy grip will cause ftf/fte problems.

Now these suggestions are standard I believe with all semi's, so nothing special for the P3-AT. I'm a happy customer.

tom< p3at newbie >

(Monroe County)

I've had one for about a year now. Not a bad little mouse gun. It does kick pretty good.

I am disappointed with the quality of the finish. Most of the finish on mine has worn off already.

And taking it apart is not exactly a walk in the park. A pain in my opinion.
    ------------------------------------
    Gungeek.Net - A Place For Gun Geeks
    http://www.gungeek.net

Have owned a 2nd gen model for about a year now, Never had a Problem but I only have about 300 rds through it. It's not a Range gun, It's a Pocket pistol so don't expect to shoot it everyday and have it last a lifetime.

I haven't heard anyone mention the Kel-Tec Lifetime warranty, From what I understand they will fix it anytime with No questions asked. Most times you only need to call them and they will ship you parts for free. They're customer service is suppose to be one of the best around. I understand the LCP on the other hand doesn't even come with a written warranty, Though I hear Ruger does stand behind their product.

You can try this website to learn more about them, It's dedicated to Kel-Tecs

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

Good Luck if you get one.

TJ
    Recoil Happens

(Pike County)

Thumbs up Re: Kel Tec P3AT .380

I own a KT P3AT .380 and am very happy with my handgun,before 2 or 300 rounds I had a couple of FTE(2),I heard that some people are very happy with the Ruger LCP almost a clone of the Kel Tec ,but can anyone tell me something about Kahr making a .380 compact?,this is what I just read in KTOG a forum for KT owners,and quote//"Anybody notice the recent interest in the .380? Most of us here are
    now familiar with Ruger's offering... I just saw a Kahr .380 the
    other day too. Nice looking gun, but waaaaaaaaay out of my price range."// still haven't see it,did anyone have?(sorry if I'm gettin' out of the way on the thread but this is like my KT looks like....
    "one loves to possess arms, tho they hope never to have occasion for them." Thomas Jefferson in a letter to George Washington 6/19/1796glockguy68...shoot safe...NRA member...US infidel...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast