Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Traveling on Amtrak

Anyone know If you can travel with your firearm on Amtrak? Taking the auto train from Va to FL, I planned on leaving it locked in my glove box.

Thanks

(Carbon County)

Default Re: Traveling on Amtrak

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Anyone know If you can travel with your firearm on Amtrak? Taking the auto train from Va to FL, I planned on leaving it locked in my glove box.

Thanks
    Amtrak does not have a railroad version of the TSA - yet! When I went to DC on Amtrak from Central FL, there were no checks whatsoever, and although I didn't bring my P-11 to the Taxpayer's March on 9/12/09, I easily could have - I was carrying a nasty SOG knife and it was never seen.
    -= Gary =-

(Montgomery County)

I believe policy is to have it unloaded and locked in your checked luggage. Not sure if you have to declare.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...=1251621565025

This page says nothing about declaring. It does say black powder is never permitted (makes sense) but also self loaded ammo is not permitted? No reloads I suppose haha.

edit: found more specific policies, scroll to bottom - yes you declare by calling the number listed.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...=1251621565020
    Last edited by jthrelf; May 27th, 2014 at 08:16 PM.

(Chester County)

Amtrak has clear rules about transporting firearms aboard trains.

Amtrak is a Federal agency so be careful to follow their terms. Amtrak has their own Police with Federal jurisdiction across state lines.

http://www.amtrak.com/firearms-in-checked-baggage
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Pike County)

It took us almost a year to come up with firearms transportation policies, after Obama allowed it again. Yes, I was on the team. We've had to bend over backwards to please the anti gun federal overlords, but its better than nothing. As it was stated, the policies are in place and I would encourage everyone to follow them, despite it may seem like there is no TSA and smuggling an otherwise legitimately possessed handgun onto a train is a no brainer. Please do not do it.

I wish nothing is required to merely transport a gun there. I wish we could make such policies. But we needed to work around the patchwork of state specific laws with federal jurisdiction on top of it. Not to mention, I was the only voice of reason in a commission, that included several ex police chiefs from anti gun states (and Amtrak) and few more high ranking police retirees from anti gun states. Sorry, we get what we get. Its still better than nothing. Feel free to ask any questions about the policies if they aren't clear.
    Je suis déplorable

Thanks for the information guys, my only confusion is since I am taking the auto train I would unload my ccw remove the ammo from the mags lock the pistol up in hard, the same with ammo in a seperate container and put in my checked bag. From what I have been told when we booked the tickets yesterday is that all luggage except for 1 carryon remains in the car. So that's where the pistol will remain correct.

I just have to call ahead and advise.

(Mifflin County)

If I recall correctly from a previous discussion on this very topic, you're only allowed to transport a firearm in checked luggage. The auto train doesn't have a luggage check service, and your vehicle is NOT considered checked luggage. So basically, no firearms on the auto train.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by IV_Warrior View Post
    If I recall correctly from a previous discussion on this very topic, you're only allowed to transport a firearm in checked luggage. The auto train doesn't have a luggage check service, and your vehicle is NOT considered checked luggage. So basically, no firearms on the auto train.
    This is what I determined when I took the Auto Train. There is no checked baggage, therefore no way to transport.

(Chester County)

A friend of mine recently checked this out thoroughly, and decided to drive all the way to FL. From what he found, the posters who say that there is no checked luggage are correct. There appears to be no way to legally carry a firearm.

He told me that on previous trips the cars were checked with dogs, but we have no idea what the dogs are trained to alert to.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post

Thanks
    Any reason you cannot fly? I have noticed that Amtrak is not that competitive on prices vs flights for anything but short trips.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast