Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Building my first AR - Parts recommendations

I'm jumping into my first AR build. Been doing some research and I'm looking at a Palmetto State Arms Stripped lower and going from there. I'm looking into getting an complete upper as with my experience level being none I figured that would be the safest bet. I'm looking for something with a quad rail as I like the way that they look can anyone recommend an complete upper that would match what I'm looking for. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Building my first AR - Parts recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by FlinchbaughD View Post
    I'm jumping into my first AR build. Been doing some research and I'm looking at a Palmetto State Arms Stripped lower and going from there. I'm looking into getting an complete upper as with my experience level being none I figured that would be the safest bet. I'm looking for something with a quad rail as I like the way that they look can anyone recommend an complete upper that would match what I'm looking for. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    There is a lot more to consider than just what kind of hand guard you want, as that can be easily swapped out. What length/twist barrel do you want? Free float or drop in rail? Are you looking for an upper with a charging handle and BCG, or will you add that yourself?

Honestly, building an upper is not that hard. For my first AR build, I tackled the upper myself because I couldnt find anything that was exactly what I wanted. Just take your time and do your research. You will appreciate the rifle that much more and learn more about how it functions.

I'm kind of snooty when it comes to AR's. It's a complex machine, and you'll want to work every single time. Even if it goes with you to hell. It should work once it gets you back.

Depending on your budget, I'd recommend at least critical parts being of quality manufacturer. They test each part. Not just in batches.

Check out Specialized Armament. The majority of their inventory is comprised of Colt parts. Tried, true, reliable. http://www.specializedarmament.com/

Check Brownells for the different schematics of the parts you need.
    http://www.brownells.com/schematics/Colt--mid99.aspx

(Trigger, Disconnector, Hammer, Springs, Pins, Bolt Catch, blah, blah, etc)

Note: I find building an upper a lot easier than a lower. You'll just need the proper wrench to torque the barrel nut.
    Get an armorers wrench. They're generally $sub-30, and almost a requirement for a scratch build.
    Last edited by Dogpupkus; May 27th, 2014 at 04:15 PM.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by AHelm3 View Post
    There is a lot more to consider than just what kind of hand guard you want, as that can be easily swapped out. What length/twist barrel do you want? Free float or drop in rail? Are you looking for an upper with a charging handle and BCG, or will you add that yourself?

Honestly, building an upper is not that hard. For my first AR build, I tackled the upper myself because I couldnt find anything that was exactly what I wanted. Just take your time and do your research. You will appreciate the rifle that much more and learn more about how it functions.

I've heard so far that a chrome lined barrel is the way to go, from what I've been reading. Honestly I'm not sure what the difference in barrel twist is at the moment. I'm going to most likely be looking for something without a BCG and charging handle as I have found a couple different ones that I like and have found good reviews on.

(Dauphin County)

The barrel twist will be dependent on the types of projectiles you want to shoot. 45-55 grain bullets are fine in a 1:9, but if you go to the other side of the spectrum and want to shoot 77gr projos, you will want a 1:7 twist. A lot of people have had good performance with a 1:8 for using a large range of bullet weights.

Everything is dependent on your own wants and needs. I forgo the chrome plating and use stainless steel barrels. Some people like it, some don't.

(Schuylkill County)

From what I've read, the 1:7 twist was spec'd by the military to stabilize their tracer rounds. That spilled over into the civilian side because everyone wants "mil-spec" stuff. As mentioned, 1:9 works better for the lighter weight stuff and the cheap practice ammo.

As far as chrome lining goes, it will increase barrel life, be easier to clean, and resist corrosion better than a plain barrel. There is a slight accuracy penalty, but I couldn't tell you how much. I'm not aware of any other disadvantages.

The first time that I built an AR, I also built the lower myself and purchased a complete upper. I feel that PSA is a good place to source parts for a build, as long you pick and choose the good stuff. They offer two versions of some parts like the buffer tube assembly and the charging handle - one in 6061 aluminum and one in 7075 aluminum. The 7075 is the stronger material, and you will pay slightly more for it. I chose to use the stronger materials.

I used their lower parts kit, although I bought one that used the Geiselle ACT fire control group in it. I haven't had any issues with the PSA brand parts. Their "premium" bcg seems to be well regarded, although I went with a BCM upper and bcg for my build. I haven't tried any of the PSA "PTAC" parts, but they are supposedly bottom of the barrel type of quality. I would probably avoid that stuff.

As mentioned, the factory hand guards can easily be swapped out for a rail set up after the fact, assuming you don't want/need a free-floated set up. These take a little more effort to install, depending on the model. Just keep in mind that this can make the rifle noticeably heavier and less balanced. There's been a shift towards more streamlined rail set ups that only have a rail on top, and then you can add smaller rail sections where you need them for accessories. I made that mistake with my rifle as well, and it was so front heavy and unbalanced with the rail, gov't profile barrel, and vertical fore grip, that I went back to plastic handguards. There are lighter quad rail setups, but you are going to pay for them and most are free floating. Some come with a proprietary barrel nut, so you'll need the special wrench to remove the factory one. On the other hand, if you buy a complete upper, all of that will be done for you already.

I think you need to make a few decisions before we can recommend a specific upper - what's your budget, what is the intended use of the rifle, what kind of accuracy do you want/need, etc. There are a million options out there - help us narrow it down for you.

(Blair County)

Aimsurplus.com
    They on the west coast but prices and stock are great.

(Blair County)

Vltor upper, non chrome lined match grade barrel, and a decent trigger. Lets face it, most of your activities will be at the range not on the battlefield chrome lined barrels are for machine guns, not range guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Edg View Post
    Vltor upper, non chrome lined match grade barrel, and a decent trigger. Lets face it, most of your activities will be at the range not on the battlefield chrome lined barrels are for machine guns, not range guns.
    ...or guns that you actually shoot/don't accumulate dust.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

FEMA Region III - State College, Pennsylvania
    (Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Edg View Post
    Aimsurplus.com
    They on the west coast but prices and stock are great.
    Aren't they in Ohio? A package got to me from them in 2 days or so... much quicker than if it were a west coast outfit.

Otherwise, what he said.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast