Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: forgot LTCF

(Carbon County)

Default forgot LTCF

What would happen if you forgot your LTCF at home. Would you get arrested or just given a fine. Also can they find out if your have a valid LTCF.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: forgot LTCF

This may start to answer your questions. You may have to deal with an arrest but in the long run you should br fine. My advise is to not forget it.

http://reference.pafoa.org/statutes/...and-exception/
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Chester County)

There are two likely outcomes to your scenario:

1. The officer will validate your licensure through the PSP system and, having confirmed you are licensed, send you on your way with a verbal rebuke;

2. The officer will presume you are unlicensed and "cuff and stuff" you. While in the "system" you will have the opportunity to refute their presumption by presenting your license.
    IANAL

(Carbon County)

That will not happen again for now on I will make sure I have it with me.

(Bucks County)

my LTCF stays in my wallet with my DL, car registration, etc....that way it's with me at all times. if you were in filthydelphia there's a good chance you'd be arrested and your firearm confiscated but in more gun friendly towns you might just simply be sent on your way after the officer verifies your LTCF. the best course of action is to carry your permit whenever you go out even if you're not armed.

(Delaware County)

Understand that "to be licensed" does not necessarily mean you have a little card that says as much. "Being licensed" is a state of being - your physical LTCF is nothing more than the official document which proves it.

You are obligated to provide proof of licensure under a lawful request - whether you're in Philly, driving, or carrying concealed, if a police officer wants to see your LTCF, he is looking for you to provide proof that you are licensed. Simple as that.

I have found that a photocopy - in high-quality color and laminated, for the sake of good appearances - is suitable proof of licensure. No, it is not the original document - which stays in a safe location not on my person - but until the original license expires, all the information on the photocopy matches up and will be validated if someone were to call it into the system and check it. Carrying a laminated photocopy of my LTCF allows me to keep my original document safe in case of losing my wallet, having it stolen, or perhaps an over-zealous officer deciding he's going to show me who's the boss and take it away from me. Also, keeping the photocopy in my wallet all the time allows me to have proof of licensure every day.

Please note that I am not a lawyer and the only times this theory has been tested was on South Street, where the officers involved were dead-set on confiscating everything gun-related I had on me anyway, and once this past weekend where the officer had no interest in calling it in, he just wanted to read the information on it.

The statute regarding proof of licensure pretty much says that you need to provide it either at the time of questioning or at trial - if you can't provide it at the time, get locked up and go to trial, you can simply show up with your LTCF on the trial date, and you should (in theory) be good to go.

Good luck getting all your shit back, though, depending on where you got jammed up.
    Junior

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    I have found that a photocopy - in high-quality color and laminated, for the sake of good appearances - is suitable proof of licensure.
    Although, it's hard to get a high quality copy of the current LTCF, since it is so crappy to begin with.

I could make a much better quality one of my own ( I DO have a valid PA LTCF) that looks the same and use a better quality photo,... but then that photo would not match what's in the system.

Does your LTCF pic come up on the cop's screen when they make a request for that info?

(Delaware County)

I couldn't say, since everytime that it's been checked it's been done over the phone or out of my sight.
    Junior

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post

Does your LTCF pic come up on the cop's screen when they make a request for that info?
    Not now. Maybe in the future.

(Pike County)

A photo of my DL and LTCF is in my smartphone... suffering from age related CRS at least doubles my chances of forgetting the whole wallet... Haha.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast