Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default IDPA: BUG Out @ Valley Forge

Lower Providence had their inaugural BUG Out @ Valley Forge IDPA Sanctioned BUG match. It was a very long day, lots of shooting with your BUG gun (supposedly). The stages were extremely challenging and it was a good time overall. However, I don't see myself competing in a "sanctioned" BUG match again. It was fun, but took too long when you have 13 stages and 2 or 3 strings of fire in each stage. Plus, there are no real incentives to paying $100 for a BUG match other than maybe getting a trophy and something from the prize table. (I didn't get a trophy and got beer koozies and shotglasses from the prize table)

So here's the travesty that is my performance:
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Delaware County)

Default Re: IDPA: BUG Out @ Valley Forge

Supposedly? Guess trophy hounds were out.

(Montgomery County)

I heard the prize table was like $10K worth of items, 3 guns were randomly draw for staff and shooters, and also a very nice scope was also in the random drawing. It was the luck of the draw, but your chances were very good to walk out with items worth more than your entry fee

I think you mean that it was a maybe for you to get a trophy? But there are trophies being made for the winners, they just didn't arrive in time for the match. That was explained at the awards ceremony.

There were problems. Hopefully the new rules for Backup guns will help resolve a lot of those issues, and hopefully LP learns what did and didn't work at its match. Maybe you should email the match director and let him know your thoughts on the match.

Was a lot of complaining about how hard stages were. The funny thing is, a good amount of competitors were shooting BUG guns for the first or second time. How can you expect to do well with a gun you do not practice with?

Personally, I hope IDPA and local clubs/monthly go more toward the BUG type matches. It has a lot of promise to bring in more shooters of all ages and experience.
    The problem with shooting Chinese bullets is 15 minutes later you wanna shoot again.

(Delaware County)

I, personally, had a blast.

Finished right in the middle of SSP-MM, even with a borrowed gun (only BUG we have is Mrs.K's carry piece, and she's - you know - carrying it).

Never shot pistol in the dark before, or with a flashlight, but managed a down-zero head on the right and a down-zero body on the left drop-turners at the beginning of stage 12. No idea where the other 3 shots went (probably high), but I missed the non-threat.

I'm an admitted stat geek when it comes to my shooting. Based on the scores as posted late last night I was 97th overall - but 46th overall on stage 12. Considering the competition, I am certainly pleased with that.

I seriously considered going back on Sunday and asking if I could shoot again with my carry gun (1911 Gov't) just for my own scores, figuring I could easily knock 50 seconds (down 100) compared to the aluminum-frame 3" 1911 I was using.

Oh, and thanks to BigDogBeav for the video. It's currently buffering.

(Montgomery County)

I personally agree with the OP. BUG rules for this match were not anywhere near where they should have been. Full-sized semi's with a 3.8 inch barrel, really, that's a bug? Please. N-framed and L-framed revolvers? Please again. Yes, they will be changing the rules to only permit guns that you could generally pocket carry. If they don't allow a G26 for the next BUG match, this will be my last BUG match.

Regardless, I learned a lot. I shot what I carry most days (Kahr MK9) and had a wake up call. I suck with this gun and will be changing to a G26 which is a trigger and grip angle that I'm used to. In the end, it's only my fault I chose to shoot this gun and not train accordingly.

The match was crazy long. My squad was shooting from about 9ish am until what, 6:30pm or so? Too long a day. It's not that it was too much shooting, it was too much waiting. The staff did a great job, though. The dedicated stage SO's were fantastic overall and were a pleasure "work" with.

I give credit where credit is due. Some folks are simply great shooters and were able to shoot their BUG guns well or REALLY well. Had a guy on my squad that destroyed the match shooting a gun that he normally does not in most matches he enters. Hats of to him and any others that were able to shoot well in this challenging match.

Looking forward to the Liberty match where I plan on redeeming myself.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Montgomery County)

What gun was the OP using?
    It looked like a Springfield logo on the slide.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    What gun was the OP using?
    It looked like a Springfield logo on the slide.
    Freeze-frame at end of stage 1 string 1 shows it to be an XDm with extended mag.

(Bucks County)

So its bash me now? "Supposedly" was aimed at IDPAs interpretation of a Backup Gun. A true backup us not what the rules indicate. I played within the rules as did everyone. Some did use real BUGs. And I was using an XDM 3.8 in. 45 with the full sized mags and grip extensions. I only have the 1 compact mag and since every stage required multiple mags it was just faster then carrying loose rounds in my pocket.

Don't get me wrong I had a great time and it was very hard. I enjoyed the challenge. My statement about not competing in a sanctioned bug match is due to the fact that its just kind of pointless from a competition standpoint. I can see doing a BUG match for a club level, but not sanctioned. To top it off IDPA is rewriting the BUG rules.

So I have to commend LPRGC for the match. It was just a very long hot day on Sunday. And yes, there was a huge prize table with guns, triggers, rails, etc.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by 625 View Post
    N-framed and L-framed revolvers? Please again.
    I've seen a few 2 1/2" full size frame revolvers from time to time.

Examples:

They're not J frames, ya know. And while unlikely...

Not sure if anyone wants to use >$2K Pythons or .44 Mags (though .44 Spl would make it an option) in a BUG match, but man what a way to play in style if you can.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    I've seen a few 2 1/2" full size frame revolvers from time to time.

Examples:

They're not J frames, ya know. And while unlikely...

Not sure if anyone wants to use >$2K Pythons or .44 Mags (though .44 Spl would make it an option) in a BUG match, but man what a way to play in style if you can.
    I assume that anyone who owns, carries a 2k snubby would want to use it, why the hell not?
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast