Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default 223 scope using 556 help

Just got a new colt 6920 and am looking at a scope. I know leupold and Nikon have their 223 scopes, how different is the accuracy if you use 223 or 556 or vice cersa if sighted in with one or another. Anyone have a chart or any info?

(Northampton County)

Default Re: 223 scope using 556 help

Quote Originally Posted by Concealed9mm View Post
    Just got a new colt 6920 and am looking at a scope. I know leupold and Nikon have their 223 scopes, how different is the accuracy if you use 223 or 556 or vice cersa if sighted in with one or another. Anyone have a chart or any info?
    Every different ammo is going to have different POI in every different rifle. Find a cartridge that your rifle likes and stick to it, especially if you're going with a scope. Otherwise every different round will need to be adjusted for.
    You may find me dead in a ditch one day. But by God, I'll be lying in a pile of brass.

(Lancaster County)

I've got a Nikon p223 on my 556 dialed it in today rifle seemed to really like the american eagle 62 gr green tips but there are different variables to take into consideration fit example the 1/8 twist seems to like the 62 gr versus the 55 gr. The nice thing about the Nikon is that if you know your caliber and rd you can go to their website and enter in the info it will give you the chart you are looking for.

Here is the link to the spot on ballistics match program.

http://spoton.nikonsportoptics.com/s...spoton.html#:3

(Cumberland County)

Some are more off than others. I think 5.56 shoots flatter since it is generally a hotter load unless you're using some high end .223 hunting rounds or making your own ammo.

I shoot a lot of Russian .223 stuff and that stuff tends to have a weaker powder charge than just about anything else on the market.

I use the Nikon p223 BDC 3 power fixed scope. I think it is definitely good value for the money, but I don't think it needed such massive turrets and have a ballistic reticule on it as well. I like to keep my rifle as light as possible so a nice light optic on a carbine seems logical to me.

Nikon has an app for zeroing as well.
    Last edited by Kabloosh; May 25th, 2014 at 10:19 AM.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kabloosh View Post
    Some are more off than others. I think 5.56 shoots flatter since it is generally a hotter load unless you're using some high end .223 hunting rounds or making your own ammo.

I shoot a lot of Russian .223 stuff and that stuff tends to have a weaker powder charge than just about anything else on the market.

I use the Nikon p223 BDC 3 power fixed scope. I think it is definitely good value for the money, but I don't think it needed such massive turrets and have a ballistic reticule on it as well. I like to keep my rifle as light as possible so a nice light optic on a carbine seems logical to me.

Nikon has an app for zeroing as well.

Ha ha definitely agree with the statement about the turrets it seems based on what I've run through my rifle so far it does seem the 556 is a better round for accuracy.