Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Carbon County)

Default Florida Ex-pat Inquiry

I'm an old Florida boy who just moved to the Keystone State after 67 years of sunshine. Got the CCW permit from FL which right now is current through March 2016, and I know that PA has a recip with FL.

I currently reside in Carbon County (Palmerton) and after asking around, it seems that the permit process differs from county to county up here. In FL, all I needed was fingerprints and a background check, but supposedly in Carbon, I need two friends to vouch for me before the sheriff will grant my permit. Not sure about any additional requirements.

I've lived here since July 5th, 2013, and as of yet don't have any real friends, so that is slowing things down. Anyone up here have any input as to the actual procedures in Carbon County? And also, since I am no longer a FL resident, just how "legal" is my FL permit? I'm not carrying at present - don't want to get myself arrested - but I do want to get back to packing my XD-40 (my pants don't fit so good without it, ya know).

Great site, all! Loved finding it, and will be a regular.
    Last edited by gpbarth; May 23rd, 2014 at 11:24 AM.
    -= Gary =-

(Indiana County)

Default Re: Florida Ex-pat Inquiry

Apart from Philadelphia, the "permit" process really doesn't vary that much from county to county. Okay, I believe Montgomery County would like Police Check Cards, but they can't legally insist on them. You're not there, so it doesn't matter.

Anyway, all the one-page application (available on-line?) asks for are two references that can't be family members (whatever that means). If all your friends and acquaintances are still down there in flatland country, use their names, addresses and telephone numbers. You're not required to have Pennsylvania-only references.

As for the validity of your Florida license/permit/whatever, if you've established a domicile here, it's now invalid.

Welcome to Pennsylvania.

Take your application, plus twenty bucks, and pay a visit to the Carbon County Sheriff's Office.

Here's PA LTCF application that you can fill out on line and print out. Just fill in CARBON for the county space at the top.

(Carbon County)

Thanks, guys! I had assumed that the references had to be locals - if that's not the case, I'll be down in Jim Thorpe shortly. I kinda figured that my FL license wasn't good anymore, but it didn't hurt to ask.

And the $20 fee is very nice. Applying in FL can be very expensive - it cost me approx. $170 and a 4-month wait to get my first card. I like being able to walk in and out.
    -= Gary =-

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Apart from Philadelphia, the "permit" process really doesn't vary that much from county to county. Okay, I believe Montgomery County would like Police Check Cards, but they can't legally insist on them. You're not there, so it doesn't matter.

Anyway, all the one-page application (available on-line?) asks for are two references that can't be family members (whatever that means). If all your friends and acquaintances are still down there in flatland country, use their names, addresses and telephone numbers. You're not required to have Pennsylvania-only references.

As for the validity of your Florida license/permit/whatever, if you've established a domicile here, it's now invalid.

Welcome to Pennsylvania.

Take your application, plus twenty bucks, and pay a visit to the Carbon County Sheriff's Office.
    Can't he still use his FL license to transport his firearm them OC once at his destination. I realize he can't CC with it.
    "The first time any mans freedom is trodden on we're all damaged."JeanLucPicard

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by libra8 View Post
    Can't he still use his FL license to transport his firearm them OC once at his destination. I realize he can't CC with it.
    Apparently now a PA resident can't even use an out of state license for vehicle carry...

(I think this is the case?)

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Apparently now a PA resident can't even use an out of state license for vehicle carry...

(I think this is the case?)
    Correct.

(Carbon County)

As I understand it, if you open carry to your car, you can't legally even get into your vehicle without a CCW permit. Is that right? So you really need a CCW permit in PA to open carry, unless you never drive.

There wan no open carry in FL when I left, but they were working on it. I was going to ask up here about being hassled by the LEOs when open carrying, but I've read enough threads up here to see how it goes. I'm definitely going to print out the suggested "reading materials" up here, just to be safe. I usually prefer concealed, and I don't have a good retention holster, anyway. I'm a Crossbreed fan.
    -= Gary =-

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by gpbarth View Post
    As I understand it, if you open carry to your car, you can't legally even get into your vehicle without a CCW permit. Is that right? So you really need a CCW permit in PA to open carry, unless you never drive.

There wan no open carry in FL when I left, but they were working on it. I was going to ask up here about being hassled by the LEOs when open carrying, but I've read enough threads up here to see how it goes. I'm definitely going to print out the suggested "reading materials" up here, just to be safe. I usually prefer concealed, and I don't have a good retention holster, anyway. I'm a Crossbreed fan.
    You can't even have a handgun unloaded in your trunk unless you are going directly to and from the range, etc. For example, you can't drive a handgun over to a family member's house.

(Carbon County)

Just dropped in on the Carbon County threads, and now there is some disparity of opinion on getting my LTCF. Seems like PA law says ANY references not family are acceptable, yet the Carbon County Web site says both references MUST be Carbon County residents.

I'm ready to submit my application using references from NJ and TX, and take my chances. Has anyone up here submitted an app in Carbon using non-Carbon references?

And can anyone give me legal precedent for non-Carbon County references?
    -= Gary =-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast