Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: New to Shotguns

(Montgomery County)

Default New to Shotguns

Not sure if this should go in the Q/A forum, but I think since it's about shotguns, maybe it should go here (MODS: if thats the case feel free to move it)

ANYWAY

Since i'm very very very new to shooting any guns, I am clearly a newbie. Tonight I went shooting trap with a buddy of mine and I LOVED it. All the guys at the club where much older than I (I'm 23) and where very supportive and where impressed with my shooting, since I'm a complete novice since that was the first time I've ever shot a 12G. Just to digress a little, I'm very proud of myself, out of the 1st 8 shots ever, I hit 7

Ok so now I'm considering buying a shotgun. Now before you start recommending I must admit I'm a POOR college student, and I don't want to whine like a baby, but I'm only looking to spend $200-250... any ideas?

-LB

(Monroe County)

Default Re: New to Shotguns

i have a mossberg 500. It came with a field barrel and a rifled slug barrel all for $250 from Dicks on sale. Breaks clays kills deer what could be better. Great gun good price.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by L-B View Post
    Not sure if this should go in the Q/A forum, but I think since it's about shotguns, maybe it should go here (MODS: if thats the case feel free to move it)

ANYWAY

Since i'm very very very new to shooting any guns, I am clearly a newbie. Tonight I went shooting trap with a buddy of mine and I LOVED it. All the guys at the club where much older than I (I'm 23) and where very supportive and where impressed with my shooting, since I'm a complete novice since that was the first time I've ever shot a 12G. Just to digress a little, I'm very proud of myself, out of the 1st 8 shots ever, I hit 7

Ok so now I'm considering buying a shotgun. Now before you start recommending I must admit I'm a POOR college student, and I don't want to whine like a baby, but I'm only looking to spend $200-250... any ideas?

-LB

depends on what all you intend to do. Semi's and double barrels are better for clays because of fast follow up shots. Pumps are close behind.

If you ever intend to hunt birds or rabbits - different drops in the stock help getting on "target" faster.

What's your intended usage of a shotgun?? then we can go from there..
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Jefferson County)

Oh, and congrats on your first time. Clays are fun.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

well I doubt I'll use it for hunting.. though never say never. I guess I would use it for trap shooting

-LB

(Wayne County)

Again +1 on the Mossberg 500. a reliable inexpensive 12 gauge that has multiple choke offerings. I used one for my club trap shoots and tied for third going against Benelli's Browning's and Ruger's. I have currently switched to a Remington 11-87 Trap model and am leading the standings for the year so far. But I always shoot my Mossberg if I want a better score. It is light and quick to point you could not ask for a better shotgun.

Mike Mc

(Dauphin County)

If you want a pump I would go with the mossberg 500. If you want a semi, I would check out Dicks Sporting goods they have a Verona Sx405 12ga thats on sale from time to time for 239.99 sometime and i picked one up about 4 years ago and i have over 1000 rds failure free through mine, that i use only for skeet and trap. I suggest you take a look at it if you want a semi.

And so it begins................. I started shooting clays with a single shot H&R Topper, since then, have used many others. The 500 is nice or you could look for a used 870 Remington or Winchester 1200. Get something that fits you, fit is the most inportant thing in a shotgun. Try to shoulder a lot of shotguns before you buy. If it feels short, you can put a pad on the stock. If it's to long you have to cut it down, and that's a pain. Don't feel you have to get something that cost a lot to start with. Get what fits you. If you get a good deal on a nice 20ga. go with it over a 12ga.

Shooting clay can be a lot of fun and it's good to see you like it. Just remember, in a few years you will have a 12ga, 16ga, 20ga, 28ga, and .410 in pump, auto, single shot, SXS and O/U. You will know that there is a 24ga and 32ga. Then you will start reloading.