Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question Looking to Purchase my first gun tomorrow. A little help?

Privacy
    Last edited by dru102; May 10th, 2019 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Privacy

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Looking to Purchase my first gun tomorrow. A little help?

I've never fired a Glock 42 but most tiny guns in .380 are not a pleasure to shoot. Unless somebody else with more experience than me blesses it, it would not be my first choice for a first handgun.

Privacy

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    I've never fired a Glock 42 but most tiny guns in .380 are not a pleasure to shoot. Unless somebody else with more experience than me blesses it, it would not be my first choice for a first handgun.
    The Glock 42 shoots better then my Glock 22
    People always ask me why i never smile.
    I TELL THEM IT'S BECAUSE MY CORPSE IS STILL BREATHING AND THEY DON'T FUCKING GET IT!

(Berks County)

Don't be in a hurry. The excitement will make you buy something impulsively. Try many different models. First decide if you prefer single action with a safety, doubler action with or without a safety, double/single action with or without safety, or striker fired with or without a safety?

Go to shops and handle many different models to see what feels natural. I compare buying a handgun to buying a pair of shoes. If it doesn't feel good in the store, it probably won't feel good later. You'll eliminate many right away because of how they feel. Narrow it down, then leave the shop and go back again. Also visit several shops if you can. Find one that let's you look a lot and doesn't pressure you, that treats you with respect even if you have little prior knowledge or experience.

And don't buy something just because someone says you should. I have nothing against Glocks, and I have a couple, but don't buy one just because 'everyone says they're what to get.'
    Last edited by esh21167; May 19th, 2014 at 08:50 PM.

Privacy

(Cumberland County)

You're on the right track, looking for appropriate sized guns for carry (G42). However, if this is your first gun, I'd like something a bit bigger. But bigger means you're less likely to carry it. So you almost need two guns.

A good compromise would be a Glock 19 or 26. I'd avoid the 42 only because of the caliber.

How you plan on carrying the gun also comes into play. If you're looking for a gun to carry in the pocket, the G19 and 26 aren't good candidates. The G42 is, however, despite the caliber. I'd rather go for the Kahr CM9. Roughly the same size, and chambered in 9mm. More common, powerful and cheaper caliber than .380. So if you're set on a G42 sized pistol, I'd personally look at Kahr. If you're willing to make a compromise, and blend a nice sized pistol with carriable sized pistol, the G19 and 26 are perfect choices.

The smaller the gun, the more concealable, clearly. However, as your ONLY gun, it will not be "fun" to shoot. Which is why I recommend, buying two firearms, or compromise with the 19 and 26.

It is perfectly acceptable to call before hand and ask if they have what you're looking for. I'd suggest looking at a few different firearms before you just pick one from the internet. Hold them, and ask questions. Gun stores are used to new gun owners, especially over the past few years. But don't let them sell you something you KNOW you don't want. Credit cards are fine, it's just like buying anything else.

(Tioga County)

I'm not a total Glock fanboi, as I like other brands, but I think Glock is a good brand to start with and then you can work from there. They are simple, reliable, they can get dirty and still work, not fussy about different brands or types of ammo, they have good resale value, are easy to understand and shoot, there are huge amounts of holsters and other accessories available, etc.

Personally I would avoid the Glock 42 to start, unless you are going for total concealment and you only have the budget for one gun. .380 sucks! The ammo is expensive, weak and inaccurate. 9mm is cheaper and more powerful without being over the top in terms of being able to shoot or carry.

In terms of buying a gun I don't think it's any different to anything else. Do your research, don't succumb to pressure from sales people, trust your instincts, ask questions. You will have to fill out a Form 4473, bring an ID and some money. You have to pass a background check which should not take long if you do not have a history of legal or mental issues.

(Chester County)

Is it just me, or do others wonder why folks obtain their LTCF "without knowing much about firearms". It seems to me that acquiring the basic firearms knowledge/training would come before obtaining a LTCF.

Please no disrespect intended toward anyone, I'm just curious.

(Beaver County)

The first store I would recommend checking out is Ace Sporting Goods. (If its too far for you then go with what your research has told you)

As for getting a gun, "trying them on" is the best way to pick one. I started with Glock but soon found I didn't care for the grip/grip angle(Gen4 feels better to me than the Gen3s I had). Then, I don't really remember the order but, I've tried Sigs, Springfield XD(XD-M is a lot better IMO), S&W M&P, Beretta M9, Ruger SR-9, FNH FNP-9, and some of the pocket guns like the Ruger LCP and Beretta 950(hated all the pocket guns I've ever shot). There's more to that list but I can't remember them all.

It took all that to figure out I'm a 1911 guy, but the Sig P229(or P226) is a close second. My next gun is going to be the Sig P938.

I also want to recommend not buying the first thing that feels right. Try to visit some other stores and try on as many as you can.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast