Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default UPDATE - University of Pennsylvania Commencement Ceremony

Anyone ever conceal carry at a U of Penn graduation and have any issues with security? Theirs is 2 days - Sunday in an auditorium and Monday at Franklin Field. I will be attending the ceremony they are having on Sunday at the Irvine Auditorium. I haven't seen any threads on this in a search to see if they wand people or do pat downs.

I checked their 2014 commencement brochure and all it says about policy is

"Franklin Field Policies:

Alcoholic beverages and Smoking are prohibited in Franklin Field.

Guests and Students are asked not to use cellular phones during the procession across campus and during the ceremony in Franklin Field."

Please let me know - Thanks in advance!

UPDATE 5/19 - So I went to the first graduation last night at Penn. It was outside by Franklin Field under a tent. They did have security and police present but there was no security check point or wanding or pat downs.
    Last edited by chacho92; May 19th, 2014 at 04:28 PM. Reason: date was wrong

(Northampton County)

Default Re: University of Pennsylvania Commencement Ceremony

My guess is that they, like most other colleges, prohibit students from having firearms on campus. Most colleges also tend to try to extend this policy to those visiting students (like on graduation day). As such, I would suspect the college would not want you to have a firearm on campus.

That being said, for all I know, that specific university would not mind. Maybe look for signs and if not assume it is ok but don't broadcast in any way that you have a firearm with you????

I think I found my answer. Looks like it includes visitors as well. Ridiculous.

https://www.hr.upenn.edu/myhr/resour...gerousarticles

Irrespective of any license or authority, University faculty, students, staff, whether working or not, and visitors and members of the University community, may not possess or use air rifles, pistols, firearms, weapons, ammunition, gunpowder, fireworks, explosives, gasoline and other dangerous articles and substances in University buildings or on University property. Normal laboratory materials are excluded from this policy when used in a laboratory setting.

Possession and distribution of items mentioned above may be governed by specific federal, state and local regulations.

An individual who violates this policy should be reported to the University Of Pennsylvania Police Department immediately. Violators of this policy may be subject to disciplinary action under University policy and/or civil or criminal action

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by chacho92 View Post
    Irrespective of any license or authority, University faculty, students, staff, whether working or not, and visitors and members of the University community, may not possess or use air rifles, pistols, firearms, weapons, ammunition, gunpowder, fireworks, explosives, gasoline and other dangerous articles and substances in University buildings or on University property. Normal laboratory materials are excluded from this policy when used in a laboratory setting.

An individual who violates this policy should be reported to the University Of Pennsylvania Police Department immediately. Violators of this policy may be subject to disciplinary action under University policy and/or civil or criminal action
    So, I guess eating a steak or driving a car can get you expelled...

(Delaware County)

I think I found my answer. Looks like it includes visitors as well. Ridiculous.
    I attended Temple. FAR worse area than that around Penn, and I didn't feel unsafe during commencement. I was far more concerned about the Philly PD officers who couldn't manage to direct traffic WITH the help of the traffic lights.

Yeah, it sucks you can't (or aren't supposed to) carry, but would you really risk missing someone's graduation—a pretty important life event—just to make a point?

(Erie County)

You'll find this is the policy at 99% of the universities in the country.

It's an in-law that's graduating. So I'm not that close to her but my wife is. So - my wife would probably be pissed if I was found to be violating their policy and we were forced to leave.

I guess I'll just bring my pepper spray then.

(Delaware County)

It's an in-law that's graduating. So I'm not that close to her but my wife is. So - my wife would probably be pissed if I was found to be violating their policy and we were forced to leave.

I guess I'll just bring my pepper spray then.
    Well, would she be any less pissed if you refused to go because you couldn't carry?

Quote Originally Posted by ChemicalReaper View Post
    Well, would she be any less pissed if you refused to go because you couldn't carry?
    Nope. She specifically wants me to go to the one on Sunday. She's going to both events on Sunday and Monday.

(Montgomery County)

One simple question. Who actually owns "Franklin Field"? Is U of P or is it leased property? Dave_n

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast