Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sig P229 vs. Walther P99 AS

Gents,

I had posted before about the Walther and now I am down to decision making time.

I have done a ton of research and it comes down to these two firearms. I have freinds that are telling me that the Sig is a much better, more reliable firearm, but my heart and hand are leaning toward the Walther. I have handled both guns but have not shot either.
    (read the Walther P99 review on this site, excellent!)

Any thoughts, suggestions, impressions, or opinions would be most appreciated.

Leon

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Sig P229 vs. Walther P99 AS

Welcome to PAFOA!

Before you buy either one, go to a range that rents them and see which one you shoot and fits you better.
    Guns are not "one size fits all" and it would be ashame to put out all of that $$ on a gun that doesn't "fit" you well.

I've got lots of experience with Sigs and have 2 P229s. They are excellent well made guns that will serve you just fine.
    I've never shot or fondled a Walther, but I've read that they are good guns.

Good luck with your choice!
    Last edited by 1blindref; June 11th, 2008 at 05:17 PM.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Leoncico054 View Post
    Gents,

I had posted before about the Walther and now I am down to decision making time.

I have done a ton of research and it comes down to these two firearms. I have freinds that are telling me that the Sig is a much better, more reliable firearm, but my heart and hand are leaning toward the Walther. I have handled both guns but have not shot either.
    (read the Walther P99 review on this site, excellent!)

Any thoughts, suggestions, impressions, or opinions would be most appreciated.

Leon
    All I can tell you is this, I have a Walther P99 first generation. It is in .40sw, I have about 6,000 rounds through it have never ever had one single problem with it. It is a great gun to teach some one on to, it is what my girlfriend shot for her first pistol and she loves it. They are very accurate and super reliable. The finish is super tough on it, and it just fun to shoot.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

(Lehigh County)

cant say much about the walther either as i have never handled or shot one. I do own a P229 and love it. It it helps u make a difference the P229 has interchangable barrels. you can also find more info on them at www.sigforum.com If you ask me if i would buy my gun again, i would in a heart beat.....I would definetly say find someone that has both and shoot each one

(Westmoreland County)

The P99 QS seems to me to be a better choice with its "conventional" striker fired trigger system although an 8lb trigger is rather heavy for a striker.

Why would you handicap yourself with the AS "double action" trigger?

(Jefferson County)

The P99 QA has a Glock'ish type trigger/striker. As mentioned above - its about 8lbs. ...but I'm sure a well skilled smith could lower it a pound or two.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    The P99 QA has a Glock'ish type trigger/striker. As mentioned above - its about 8lbs. ...but I'm sure a well skilled smith could lower it a pound or two.
    Mine is the DA/SA style, the DA pull is like 6.5lbs, and the SA 4.5lbs. But then again mine is also a first generation.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    The P99 QS seems to me to be a better choice with its "conventional" striker fired trigger system although an 8lb trigger is rather heavy for a striker.

Why would you handicap yourself with the AS "double action" trigger?
    P99 AS? Handicap? It's not a handicap in the least, especially if you take up the slack on the first shot to the "half cocked" trigger position, and the reset on subsequent "single action" (it mimics it), is about the shortest I've ever felt.

I own both pistols. The 229 (.357 SIG) is substantially heavier in the hand, and the P99 (9MM) is a bit jumpy, even with target loads, in comparison with other 9MMs. YMMV, but I'd say that the weight of the 229 in 9MM is almost approaching overkill in terms of recoil control.

(Luzerne County)

Sig P229

(Delaware County)

I have a P229 and love it, that said I love all sigs b/c they all feel right in my hand. I vote that you should go with what feels best in your hand.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast