Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Pump/semi info

(Jefferson County)

Default Pump/semi info

I've got a couple questions for you guys & gals with pump and/or semi guns.

These questions only apply to 12ga shotguns - Mossberg, Rem., Winny, NEF/Excell

1. Which pump gun has the shortest receiver length?

2. Which semi gun has the shortest receiver length?

3a. With the semi auto guns - are there any pistol only grips available?
    3b. Are there any protruding parts that stick out the back that would make building/forming a pistol only grip impossible? IE: springs, rods, tubes, etc..
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bedford County)

Default Re: Pump/semi info

Most modern semi and pump shotguns are built using the same frame for the 2 3/4" and 3" guns. Receiver length is so close between brands, it's not worth looking into.

Remington guns can't be done with the pistol grip only.

If you want to turn a semi into a pistol grip only gun...look into a good used 1400 Winchester or 140 Ranger (same gun).

These guns go around $300 in good shape, and are pretty reliable. They are 2 3/4" only....but who the hell would shoot 3" mags with a PG anyway???

Buy a synthetic forend for the 1400 and a pistol grip for a 1300 pump....will bolt right onto the 1400 semi.

I have a 1400 in 12 and one in 20....both good shooters.

(Jefferson County)

Thanks Buckmark.

After looking at the Winny 1400 - it looks like it'd make a good candidate for my project - 2+1 shot SBS.

Agreed on the 3" mag & pistol grip thing.. ...hell, I still haven't been convinced for the need of 3" and 3.5" shells for ANY hunting/protection needs. 2.5-2.75" has taken everything from bugs to elephant.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

(Washington County)

Are shorties generally 3-shot firearms? Got me curious now.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by BenningBoy View Post
    Are shorties generally 3-shot firearms? Got me curious now.
    They are when you cut the barrel and mag down to 6-7 inches.

(Washington County)

I seldom hear of a semi used as a home defense gun. I would think a short semi would be supremely effective.

(Berks County)

Note on the operation of pistol grip only semi-automatic shotguns, especially in the theater of home defense, is that you have to, as Clint Smith puts it, 'stand behind the gun' for them to cycle reliably. Like limp-wristing an auto pistol, allowing a semi shotgun too much free travel can cause a misfeed and possible jam. Not an issue on pump guns, but something to consider in a small semi.

While you may consider yourself a burly fellow who fears no 3" mag slug out of the tiniest SB scattergun, keep in mind all the unforseeable things you might have to do with your home defense gun, such as firing from odd positions, on the move, or single-handed. Combine this with the lighter recoil of most HD loads, and the reliability of the weapon comes into question.

My reccomendation for a short barreled HD shotgun, configuration-wise, would be a pump action with pistol grips on both the stock and foregrip. Outfit with ones personal taste of accesories, and youll have a more reliable gun thatll dump its 3rnd payload just as fast as a similar semi when all works well, and can still be relied upon when things go south, and all for a bit less money.

For example;

(Bedford County)

The Winchester 1400/140 can be cut down to the end of the mag tube, but thats as far as you can go.

Remember, a pump gun has a mag tube. A gas gun has a mag tube with the gas operating system. Remington has a external gas piston, the Winny however has an internal piston drive system inside the mag tube with the piston located at the front.

No go on a Reminton with a pistol grip only, and no go on either with a super short tube.