Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Can I bring my gun from Massachusetts?

Hello to the forum,

I live in the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts. I have a "Class A License to Carry"- that is a CCW for Massachusetts. I plan on getting a PA non-res soon. In the mean time...

Can I transport my gun to PA while visiting? I plan to do this by way of NY state. My gun will be locked in the trunk until I get to my destination.

Once I get to PA I will keep my gun at my friends house until I leave. Is that legal? Also, could I open carry?

Thanks!!!

p.s.- You have no idea how great it is for you all to live in a free state!

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Can I bring my gun from Massachusetts?

Quote Originally Posted by BigDawg View Post
    Hello to the forum,

I live in the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts. I have a "Class A License to Carry"- that is a CCW for Massachusetts. I plan on getting a PA non-res soon. In the mean time...

Can I transport my gun to PA while visiting? I plan to do this by way of NY state. My gun will be locked in the trunk until I get to my destination.

Once I get to PA I will keep my gun at my friends house until I leave. Is that legal? Also, could I open carry?

Thanks!!!

p.s.- You have no idea how great it is for you all to live in a free state!
    Yes, you can bring your guns here. Assuming your guns are legal in MA, and that all guns are legal in PA - you would be covered under the GOPA for interstate transporting.

You know of course that your MA Class A is only good in a vehicle in PA. Outside of the vehicle you'd have to opencarry or have a PA/reciprocal license to conceal. ...a PA license is easy as pie to get from some of the Sheriffs and is cheap - no reason not to get one. Open carrying in Philly would require a PA LTCF or reciprocal license.

Loaded or unloaded doesn't matter in a vehicle - you have to have a permit from ANY state to have a handgun in a car unless you fall under one of the exemptions in Title 18, Chapter 61, Subsection 6106(some of which requires it be unloaded/wrapped/etc). Your MA covers all bases there - feel free to load up once you're in PA while in your car. As soon as you step out - it better be open. Be warned though, some LEO's will harass you and give you a hard time.

Down load an application from the Centre County Sheriff's office for a PA LTCF. It'll take you about 10min to fill it out.. Send it in with the dollar amount required as a check or money order. More than likely you will have your LTCF within 2-3 weeks from Sheriff Nau's office.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Unhappy Re: Can I bring my gun from Massachusetts?

Thank you very much for the quick answer!

You have answered all my questions.

As far as Massachusetts goes... I wish we had open carry here too...

BigDawg

(Monroe County)

http://www.handgunlaw.us/maps/massachusetts_map.gif

If Pa doesn`t honor his Ma permit I would think he couldn`t carry in the car in Pa.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/maps/massachusetts_map.gif

If Pa doesn`t honor his Ma permit I would think he couldn`t carry in the car in Pa.
    Licenses from any state are good within a vehicle in PA.

§ 6106.

(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

(11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle,
    which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license
    for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the
    United States or any other state.

Last edited by knight0334; June 11th, 2008 at 08:15 AM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Tioga County)

Plan your trip so as not to stop in NY. If you have a pistol in NY without a NY permit it's a felony.

Quote Originally Posted by rwilson452 View Post
    Plan your trip so as not to stop in NY. If you have a pistol in NY without a NY permit it's a felony.
    I won't stop, I have enough gas.

I believe that if you transport locked and unloaded in the trunk, you are ok. Some sort of federal transport law. I do not recall the law, but it says that if you are transporting between two places that you can legally posses a gun- it is OK so travel by federal highways. Just don't get off of said highways.

I'll be using the NY Thruway. At no time will my gun be out of a locked container within my trunk until I get to PA.

If somebody can provide a link to the federal law, I'd like to carry a copy with me in the event I am pulled over by a Trooper.

(Lackawanna County)

How screwed up is it that the state that probably produces the most handguns of any, has the most restrictive gun laws.
    "Guess what?! I got a fever, and the only prescription... is more cowbell!"

Default Found law on transporting between states

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/ht...6---A000-.html

§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.