Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Anyone interested in a jerry can group buy? (Upper Bucks)

Have pretty much had it with the plastic EPA mandated gas cans that result in me spilling gas all over the place...the fact that these things degrade and start leaking after a couple of years doesn't make me feel any better about them..

I am going to be getting some steel jerry cans for use, best deal I can found is 4 for roughly $196.00 (shipping included).

http://deutscheoptik.com/NATO-20-Lit...T-OF-FOUR.html

I really only need two..If anyone in the Upper Bucks area (near kintnersville) is interested in the other two let me know and I'll order...

Also, let me know if you want the gasket/spout kit and I will order that also.

Send me an email please (NO PMs) to glocke12@ptd.net and put JERRY CANS in capital letters in the title so I know the email is not spam..

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Anyone interested in a jerry can group buy? (Upper Bucks)

Can't believe the prices of those repros. Even if real, they are still ridiculously high.

I used to have a few of them. The rubber gasket went bad and was unavailable, and nothing I made worked. Nowadays the gaskets are available.

I had made my own spout system for them (the steel flex hose weeped gas and dripped). I soldered a copper tube to a cap and put a put rubber heater hose on it and used them that way for years.

That #$%^&*ing Kalyvornja-imposed system foisted on us sucks. I think before I spent large money on "GI" cans, I'd find a machinist to make a conversion for the propylene containers...if that isn't some kind of $40,000 federal violation.
    Last edited by Bang; October 8th, 2014 at 01:42 AM.

You need to work on your Google-fu my friend. You can thank me when you see all the extra cash I saved you.

Scroll down for even more options.
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...-drab?a=984598

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    You need to work on your Google-fu my friend. You can thank me when you see all the extra cash I saved you.

Scroll down for even more options.
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...-drab?a=984598
    Those cans you linked are garbage chinese copies, they are sub-gauge steel, poorly finished, and have an "outy" weld. The only real ones are the more expensive nato ones. The link cans here: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...drab?a=1712161 are also real and price is on par with the others when shipping is included.

In the attached pic you can see how the weld on a real nato spec jerry is recessed and the can will sit flat on a floor. The shit chinese copies will not even sit flat on a floor, as well they will rust, dent, and bloat much easier.

The OP has it correct, a real jerry can will look like the ones from deutsch optik, lexington container, or atlantic rover.

Last edited by john doe; October 8th, 2014 at 03:26 AM.
    Because I can't fit Catman in my pocket.

Well to be fair my post does say scroll down for more options. The OP only wants or needs 2 cans well 2 NATO cans can be ordered for $72.00 if he is a member and there are always free ship codes for SPG online. The cans I linked get a decent rating but I'm not an expert in metal gas cans so we can take your advise on that.

(Bucks County)

I have scepter fuel cans but an increasingly number of gas stations have been giving me a hard time about filling them. Even at Wawa.

BTW, I also use these which eliminate the issues of the other kind of EPA crap cans.

(Bucks County)

I think gas station thinking of late is plastic burns and melts and plastic plus gasoline is not a fire marshall "approved" can. Typical. Remember the cell phone taboo that finally died?

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Can't believe the prices of those repros. Even if real, they are still ridiculously high.

I used to have a few of them. The rubber gasket went bad and was unavailable, and nothing I made worked. Nowadays the gaskets are available.

I had made my own spout system for them (the steel flex hose weeped gas and dripped). I soldered a copper tube to a cap and put a put rubber heater hose on it and used them that way for years.

That #$%^&*ing Kalyvornja-imposed system foisted on us sucks. I think before I spent large money on "GI" cans, I'd find a machinist to make a conversion for the propylene containers...if that isn't some kind of $40,000 federal violation.
    ended up ordering from the landrover store...real deal and not chicom imports...forget the price but they were on sale and two cans, two extra gaskets for each and a spout came to about seventy or eighty bucks..\

cost does not bother me as the crappy plastic cans are what...20-30 bucks each and besides not working i seemed to only get a couple of years use out of them before they fall apart....in some cases it looks like a critter of some sort chewed on them
    Last edited by glocke12; October 10th, 2014 at 07:58 PM.

(Bucks County)

Yeah...when viewed that way, ^^ the steel containers make sense.

One of the disadvantages to being up in years is the lag in keeping up with current costs of things. The 5-dollar GI can is still a vivid memory.

(Lycoming County)

I get mine from here: http://prepandmore.com/

Be safe (and secured).

Scott