Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Future of Gun Rights In PA?

I once lived in Philadelphia (and lived to tell about it) and Erie, my mom's home town. I always like PA but my family moved to Maryland and then California. I have lived in Missouri the past 20 years. I was in law enforcement for 10 years and public education the past 21. I am considering retiring in the next 1 to 3 years. I would like to live back east as well as family back there as well. I am considering leaving Missouri and PA is high on my list of places to settle down in for good. My only concern are the future of gun laws. Maryland, one of my favorite states, has become Massachusetts South. I enjoy concealed carry and the opportunity to own just about any firearm I want in Missouri. Can anyone comment on the future state of gun laws in PA with respect to concealed carry, ownership of ARs, and full capacity magazines? I'm also on the Board of Directors for a pro-gun group here in Missouri, I write the lead artcle, and would be willing to lend my help to anyone fighting to preserve our 2nd Amendment.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Future of Gun Rights In PA?

I don't have a crystal ball....but my own predictions are nothing as far as I can see will change.

Corbett, our current governor appears to have a good fight on his hands to get re-elected, he isn't the greatest, but for guns he has been ok.

In order for anything to change in the state, the gun grabbers will have to take the state house, and I don't see that happening for a while if ever.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Berks County)

I agree. This is a pretty gun friendly state with all the hunting and whatnot.

I'll put it to you this way, never had any issues with any restrictions buying stuff online (legal stuff I mean). I see CT, NY, CA and all their restrictions, ugh!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Lancaster County)

What will determine how we do here is how well we the pro-2A community reach out to the general population. We have what we have now but there's an entirely different matter of keeping it. The political forces that surround us in neighboring states and influencing big cities have it entirely on their mind to take it away.

CA, NJ, and NY have been exactly the way they've been because real gun owners there neglected for decades to market gun ownership and enjoyment and the lifestyle and mindset thereof to those who weren't part of us. Instead they have cloistered and closeted themselves and let the anti gun side use schools, churches, TV, etc. to market their ideas to everyone else basically without challenge. Rather than being "out loud and proud" as those of a different group would say, they stay silent and hidden, too scared of what would happen to them if they spoke up for us and gun rights. The non-gun owning average person in those states doesn't get the message of us being good, normal, intelligent, responsible people enjoying something fun, rewarding, interesting, and socially enjoyable because our side doesn't talk to them enough on the same level they get from news media and their other common influences which say the opposite. Predictably, they make up their minds based on the information they have.

So far I'm yet to see an effective, organized, competent, persistent, and goal driven social/idea marketing effort here in PA for us to reach out to people in our own resident suburban/urban population and recent migrants from NY, NJ, MD, and MA. That really bothers and confuses me.
    Last edited by Yellowfin; May 13th, 2014 at 02:04 PM.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

I think that PA is very good with gun laws considering the location. You must remember though, we are an island in a sea of madness here. Surrounded on all sides by states with some of the most draconian laws on the nation. I think Missouri would be much better in the long run as far as staying "free," and personally, I would rather be where you are.

We are under attack, and always will be, currently if you look at the northeast, we are bordered by nothing but anti 2nd amendment states, and they will continue to march south as long as they maintain their foothold in the northeast...

Not knocking your plans, but retire in Pennsylvania? We are hammered on taxes, the roads suck, healthcare isn't the best, and crime continues to increase...

If I could retire, I would strongly look south... just saying..
    "North of I-80, we don't dial 911, we dial 223"

As for the future of gun rights in PA. I think it'll be ok. Many pro-gun people are moving into PA from MD, NJ, NY, CT. They like to be close to family and yet want the freedom of free firearm ownership.

There are the occasional anti gun bills put forth for consideration by the legislature but they all die in committee or the floor. PA has progressed significantly in the last 20 years as it pertains to firearm rights and castle doctrine.

People within the state are very active with the Legislature and other public officials pertaining to pro 2A.

We've even accomplished updated training modules added to annual legal updates for all LE to know OC/CC laws, backed with scenarios for proper handling etc...and had a section put into all police academies curriculum in the last five years.

Currently there is a bill in the Legislature to allow semi auto rifles for hunting.

I think PA will continue to be a beacon of light in the sea of darkness that surrounds her as it pertains to 2A.

CL

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by tollster View Post
    We are under attack, and always will be, currently if you look at the northeast, we are bordered by nothing but anti 2nd amendment states, and they will continue to march south as long as they maintain their foothold in the northeast...
    Which is why we must counterattack and start taking territory away from them rather than do nothing but always defend.

Not knocking your plans, but retire in Pennsylvania? We are hammered on taxes, the roads suck, healthcare isn't the best, and crime continues to increase...
    And we do nothing to reverse this, why?
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Allegheny County)

Last edited by free; June 9th, 2014 at 07:44 PM.

(Bucks County)

Penna does not tax pensions. If you have one or two (sounds like you do) that is a plus. I don' think we are taxed to death compared to states like North Carolina that has yearly personal taxes that mount up, along with taxing pensions. PA just doubled fees for vehicle licenses but we still remain lower than other states.

I have had faith in our state legislators, historically pretty much doing the right thing regarding gun laws, for years.

I don't know about past performance being any means of predicting the future. All we can do is stay vigilant, not fall for "reasonable" incremental intrusions into our rights, and pounce on anything having potential harmful results.

So far so good. Come on in! (or should I say back!).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast