Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Help me pick next .45 acp

I'm in the process of negotiating with the wife another handgun purchase. If/when that succeeds, my sights are set on a 45 acp.

I am considering 3 different handguns. If anyone with experience with any or all three of these, comments and advice are much appreciated.

1. 1911 Sig Sauer Scorpion (commander sized).
    2. Smith & Wesson M325 Thunder Ranch (Scandium Performance Center 45 acp revolver)
    3. Smith & Wesson M22-4 (steel revolver, 4 inch tapered barrel, 45 acp).

I'm planning on carrying whatever I purchase. Keep in mind I'm used to carrying my Smith M58 (N-frame 41 mag), and all of these guns are lighter than my 41 mag. They all weight around 31-36 ounces.

I've shot 1911's before, and I like how they handle. Right now, my other handguns are revolvers, and I love revolvers. But I'm open to jumping into the 1911 club.

My chief concerns are: A) Reliability B) Durability. I like to shoot my guns as much as I can afford. That means these guns will see around 100-200 rounds every month, give or take.

I'm particularly interested in the Smith 325 Thunder Ranch (Scandium .45 acp). Can anyone comment on the durability of this gun? I know .45 acp is a low pressure round, so would it be able to withstand a high round count?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by American1776; May 13th, 2014 at 11:34 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Help me pick next .45 acp

4. None of the above.

S&W 625-6, .45ACP Mountain Gun

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=415702753

Rare, pre-lock goodness. I'd rather have a gently used one of these than any of the guns you list. If I had to pick among the ones you listed, I'd go for the 22-4. I just don't like the way any of the lightweight S&W revolvers shoot. Commander-sized 1911's don't do anything for me. YMMV.
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Berks County)

Everyone should have at least one 1911. Plus, 45acp goes with 1911 like peanut butter & chocolate.

(Cumberland County)

I like the following traits in a handgun:
    1. ALL METAL
    2. External hammer
    3. DA/SA trigger

While in my quest for a 45, these traits limited my choices. I decided on a Sig 220, and couldn't be happier.

My $0.02
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

I would go with the 1911, but I'm not a fan of revolvers that use auto cartridges.

(Allegheny County)

What is the reasoning behind the Scorpion? I have a the Desert model. What a great gun for the price. They can be had on gunbroker fairly cheap, because it seems not everyone is fond of the color scheme (grabbed mine for $600 brand new). If you are ok without the rail and a 5" barrel, the cheaper price point would make negotiating with your wife a bit easier.

Here's one with a very reasonable BIN
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=415949915
    Last edited by AHelm3; May 13th, 2014 at 01:00 PM.

(Delaware County)

Sig is absolutely a brand I'd recommend to anyone, and if I had the money I would buy another couple. However, in terms of value for money, I think there are some other companies that do a little better on 1911s. So, here's a couple ideas; I don't know if you've considered any/all of them, feel free to take as much or as little as you want.

*DISCLAIMER* I only personally own a Remington R1; the rest is based on what I researched before I made a purchase decision. What worked for me may not work for you, and I highly recommend you thoroughly search the Internet (YouTube and forums, especially) for information pertaining to reliability, accuracy, compatibility with after-market parts, etc. before buying a 1911.

For plain-Jane 1911s, Remington's R1 (they recently added a Commander-length model, but good luck trying to find one!) and Springfield's Mil-Spec provide pretty good value for the cost. If you're looking for a bargain so you can buy two, and who wouldn't want two 1911s?, Rock Island Armory is arguably underpriced for what you get. Aside from the cheap finish, RIAs get rave reviews -- and the only time I've ever read a complaint, there's almost always been a follow up post saying that Customer Service went above and beyond to fix the problem.

(Does anyone not like the look of the traditional 1911?)

For more modern/tactical versions:
    - Remington R1 Carry (they also make a Commander-length version) and Enhanced pack a lot of features into the package for the price
    - Springfield Loaded, although I've heard that their 'tactical' models aren't always as good/don't provide as much value as their mil-spec model
    - Ruger 1911 (full size & Commander); as far as 'tactical' 1911s go, it's your average, reliable handgun

(York County)

Already have a Springfield 1911, G21, and G30. I'm eyeing up the new G41 and will probably check one out soon.

Thanks for the input guys.

To address some of the points/questions.

1) The Sig 1911 Scorpion carry: The reason I like this one is because I've owned Sig before, and really like Sig. Also, that FDE color is just awesome in my eyes, and the lighter weight of the Commander size is a big plus for me.

2) Does anybody own any Scandium frame Smith & Wessons? I always wonder how well these will stand up to long term use in 45 acp.

(Chester County)

If you got the money to spend, get the Scorpion! I teetered on the 1911 fence for way too long, really wanted a Scorpion but settled for a Rock Island 2011 Tac. One of the best decisions I've made. People always say (for good reason) that 1911's are addicting. Love that thing! Got a Blade-Teck nano IWB and CC half the time now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast