Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default thinkin about movin to PA

ok, I have been thinking about moving to the Pittsburgh area for a while now, and I'm getting to where i only have about a year left on my college degree...

I'm originally from Orlando, FL... but moved out of that area to central NC about 2 years ago because of rising house prices and a good job offer...

i already have several online friends in the Pittsburgh area, so its not like i would be around total strangers... plus my wife was born in Whitehall Township, though she moved when she was 5 so she doesn't remember much...

I am actually considering several places to move, the Pittsburgh area, the Knoxville TN area, or the San Antonio TX area...

I have three kids, all younger than 10, and am training them properly in firearms safety and use...

I am in the IT field and my degree is in computer programming/engineering...

I am a NRA certified pistol instructor and would love to be able to actually put that to some use, all of the ranges around here are 40-50 miles away, so that makes it hard to do shooting classes...

I am also an adamant supporter of 2a rights... because of this, I am growing weary of the political climate down here in NC that makes it incredibly tough to get anything done... sadly there is still a lot of the good old boy network in place... I am currently on my second month of waiting on an appointment to apply for my CCH permit... once i do that next Wednesday, it will be another 90 days before I can get it... and im sorry but 5 months seems way too long...

so, my question becomes, why should I choose PA over TN or TX?... all three have about the same gun laws... but I'm not just looking for gun related information...

also, I will be coming to Pittsburgh the weekend after July 4th, so I suppose I need a brief on the gun laws ill need to know... I do not have a CCH permit yet from any state, so concealed is out...

anyways, hope to hear some good info... thanks

Default Re: thinkin about movin to PA

Of course I only provide this anecdotally at the moment, but:

In PA, you have to undergo a background check and paperwork is filed (via an FFL) to transfer a handgun unless the transfer takes place intrastate between a parent and child or a grandparent and grandchild.

In TN, you transfer handguns privately.

+1 for TN.

In TN, open carry has been permitized.

In PA, open carry is legal on foot but for a very small number of exceptions (courthouse, federal buildings, state park) but must be licensed for vehicular use.

+0.5 for PA

From very light reading of Texas statutes, Texas is not quite the Lone Star State on firearms I once thought it was.

-1 for TX

All of these are not at this time provided with citations, so tread lightly. If you move based solely on my post...

well you have to get a permit from the sheriff to acquire a handgun from ANY source here in NC, so an FFL transfer is better than that...

Quote Originally Posted by mekender View Post
    well you have to get a permit from the sheriff to acquire a handgun from ANY source here in NC, so an FFL transfer is better than that...
    Look at what is absolutely good, not comparatively good. I mean, just consider that the US is "the best nation in the world"...not so good.

(York County)

I have lived in PA, CA, CT, and TX.

I like PA, TX, CT, then CA (in that order) It comes down to rights, heat, snow, taxes, cost of living, and liberals.

Quote Originally Posted by Pector55 View Post
    I have lived in PA, CA, CT, and TX.

I like PA, TX, CT, then CA (in that order) It comes down to rights, heat, snow, taxes, cost of living, and liberals.
    well, other than cheap ammo... i think youve touched on all the things that concern me... well that and family friendly... which with all the amusement parks near Pitt, it seems pretty good for that...

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by pex View Post
    Of course I only provide this anecdotally at the moment, but:

In PA, you have to undergo a background check and paperwork is filed (via an FFL) to transfer a handgun unless the transfer takes place intrastate between a parent and child or a grandparent and grandchild.

In TN, you transfer handguns privately.

+1 for TN.

In TN, open carry has been permitized.

In PA, open carry is legal on foot but for a very small number of exceptions (courthouse, federal buildings, state park) but must be licensed for vehicular use.

+0.5 for PA

From very light reading of Texas statutes, Texas is not quite the Lone Star State on firearms I once thought it was.

-1 for TX

All of these are not at this time provided with citations, so tread lightly. If you move based solely on my post...
    PA has no restrictions on restaurant/bar carry, no requirement to inform LE, and "No Guns" signs have no legal weight.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Quote Originally Posted by rmarkob View Post
    PA has no restrictions on restaurant/bar carry, no requirement to inform LE, and "No Guns" signs have no legal weight.
    i kinda like all of those... though im the kind of person that i would still inform a LEO just because its the courteous thing to do...

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by mekender View Post
    i kinda like all of those... though im the kind of person that i would still inform a LEO just because its the courteous thing to do...
    You might want to read this thread: http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...-carrying.html
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

(Butler County)

There are many reasons to move to the Burg. I don't know how you feel about sports, but we have some of the best teams around, The Steelers, Pens and Pirates and the fans are very loyal. Pgh. also is on the cutting edge in the medical field. Oakland is the hub and has several well-known hospitals. It also has the Carneigie Musuem and concert hall and Phipps Conservatory also know as the "flower house." We have a excellent zoo and aquarium and on the North Side, an Aviary. In downtown Pittsburgh, we have a cultural district with 3 well-appointed theatres with a few smaller cafe style venues.
    Pittsburgh also has of course the three rivers. The point is where two rivers merge into the Ohio River so there is boating, fishing and a regetta. You can even take a boat to a sporting event. Every Fourth of July, the city sets off fireworks from building tops, barges and bridges. The symphony coordinates music to the fireworks and the Point is a great viewing place. We also have one the best scenic views around. Mt. Washington is a long walkway that has several outlooks that over the whole city and still has 2 functional
    inclines that can take you into the city. Our neighborhoods are rich in ethnicity and diversity. The architectural mix in downtown is interesting and you can even take walking tours to some of the more interesting buildings.
    We have many state parks that offer a wide range of activities. Every year several parks offer free concerts and movies along with a nature series with everything from making maple syrup to wilflower identification. This is just the tip of "The Burg." Spend some time here and I think you will grow to love this part of the country as much as I do.
    Last edited by Kimba; June 11th, 2008 at 04:29 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast