Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Default How old to buy a handgun

Hey guys I'm new to the site and love what your doin here its great Heres My question I have many guns always have and always will I shoot 10s of thousands of rounds at the farm yearly most of my guns are hand me downs from my mother or late father I'm 19 now I just recently bought a new shot gun. its the first gun I've ever bought in my own name I have three handguns now, 2 of my dads and one my mom got me for my 16th birthday what I was wondering Is am I old enough to buy handguns my self, people keep telling me you have to be 21 wanna find out cause i'm ichin to buy a new gun and its time for a new pistol

(Beaver County)

Default Re: How old to buy a handgun

The legal age to own a handgun is 18. You must be 21 to buy through a FFL. You can buy from a private seller, but the transfer must be done through the sheriff. From what I understand, many sheriff's won't do transfers for people under 21.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by bdevil73 View Post
    The legal age to own a handgun is 18. You must be 21 to buy through a FFL. You can buy from a private seller, but the transfer must be done through the sheriff. From what I understand, many sheriff's won't do transfers for people under 21.
    Correct.

Last I checked only a select few Sheriff's knew the law in <21yo transfers. Most are either prejudice to <21 or get scared off when they hear "Buyer/transferee is under 21" which only applies to FFL's.

Jefferson Co Sheriff Demko used to do them, but I'm not sure he is in office anymore.

Your parents and grandparents can give and/or sell to you a handgun without any St. Police transfer paperwork.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Centre County)

What bdevil and knight said is correct. I don't of any Sheriff's Department's that will do a transfer anymore. They will pass you on to a FFL. When they are told the circumstances they still won't do it. There is nothing that says they MUST do it.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member