Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Plinking

(Allegheny County)

Default Plinking

I asked this in the Ranges forum, maybe this is a better place for it..

Is it legal to go plinking on game lands?

Call the game commission...I would venture to say NO. There are public ranges at some state game lands, but I highly doubt that PA would allow you to plink on lands where people hunt and take walks.

(Allegheny County)

actually, i think it might be OK in some circumstances.

here is a link to the laws regarding state game lands:

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/05...bchapCtoc.html

of interest is the part that says:

Additional prohibitions. In addition to the prohibitions contained in the act pertaining to State game lands and § 135.2, except with the written permission of the Director, it is unlawful to:

(15) Target shoot with firearms, bows and arrows or devices capable of launching projectiles in a manner that could cause injury to persons or property, or on areas posted closed to those activities.

(16) Except as provided in Subchapter J (relating to shooting ranges), discharge any firearm, bow and arrow, or device capable of launching projectiles that is not a lawful device to hunt game or wildlife.
    i am not a lawyer, and i don't know how "in a manner that could cause injury to persons or property" would be interpretted, but it sounds to me like you can plink with firearms that are legal for hunting as long as you aren't endangering anyone or destroying property and the area in which you are doing it is not posted as closed to target shooting.

again, though, i am not a lawyer...this is based solely on reading the laws quoted above. it would still be a good idea to check with a lawyer or the game commission.

(Allegheny County)

I will definatly check with the commision. Shooting at paper gets boooring..

Im assuming that most ranges (not the game commision ones) wont allow you to shoot at much of anything other than paper.

(Lycoming County)

Default Non-Hunting guns on PA Ranges

There is a state range in Waterville PA that is patrolled by a State Forrest Warden. They allow hunting weapons only, no semi autos, full autos, semi auto pistols. It IS enforced!
    Jack

(Armstrong County)

I personally wouldn't go plinking on State lands without a hunting licence. Also watch for extra restrictions around deer and turkey seasons.

(Dauphin County)

Pretty sure per the PA GAME REGs that plinking is not allowed unless you are shooting at really small english starlings with a really high backstop and you are really no where near my treestand..hopefully in another county :P

(Potter County)

First, define "plinking". I would imagine that shooting at any inanimate object, i.e. can, stump, empty ammo box, etc, would be construed as "target shooting" and would not be allowed. I also know that some public area use ranges can be pretty restrictive on types of firearms and how they are used. I would contact PGC and get the lowdown (verbatim) from them.