Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default Question on Ruger .9mm SP101 revolver

Hello,
    Question, my buddy has a Ruger .9mm SPS101 5 shot cylinder and I tried searching for any info on it. All I was able to get info on was the SP101 in .38 and .357. Does anyone know or have an idea about this revolver? Does Ruger even make them anymore? Looking at the cylinder and barrel, it looks like it was not fired at all. Any idea in market value? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. God Bless.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Chester County)

Default Re: Question on Ruger .9mm SP101 revolver

The 9mm is discontinued but still in high demand. I don't know which year they discontinued it, but it was around 1998. Your friend's sp101 appears to have had custom work done on the barrel. I can't tell you how much they are going for because a) the custom barrel may affect the value of the gun, and b) I rarely ever see them being sold online. Pretending it didn't have the barrel work done, if that was my revolver and I wanted to sell it (in reality, I wouldn't), I'd accept no less than $550 for it, but that's just a personal opinion.

(Chester County)

Also it also looks like you have a bobbed hammer which isn't a standard feature. Only 2 9mm model SP101s were created. The only difference between the 2 were barrel lengths.

(Elk County)

Ruger made the SP101 for a few years in 9mm and it wasn't terribly popular at the time. Once it was dropped from the product line it attained a "cult" following much like the S&W 940 in 9mm, and demand became high and it remains so.

It was made in two barrel lengths, one short (2-1/8" or something like that) and a longer length a little over 3".

The majority of the 9mm SP101s were NOT ported such as your friend's is. In my opinion, the porting of such a revolver is a detriment to the overall shooting experience of the shooter. For example, there is the upward blast from the ports, the tendency for small, hot particles of burning powder to land on your hand, wrist, and forearm and possibly your face, depending on the load and the powder used therein. There is also the consideration of the flash from the ports potentially killing your night vision. I own two of the short-barreled SP101s in 9mm, both unported, and the recoil is very manageable without porting.

I bought my 9mm SP101s before they became extremely popular following Ruger's dropping them from the lineup. Both were used, and if I recall I paid around $300-$350 for them; this is about eight, maybe 10 years ago. The both shoot a variety of 9mm ammo well, including +P defense loads. Ejection of empty cases has not been a problem, unlike some of the early production S&W 940 revolvers which literally required a mallet on the ejector rod. The Rugers' chambers are smooth; the S&W 940 chambers had a remarkable number of tool marks which "locked" into case ODs upon expansion during firing. But I digress.

Today, unported short barreled 9mm SP101s command between $700 and as much as $900 depending on the market or if it's in a store or an auction. The longer-barreled unported SP101s are close to that price range.

In my opinion, porting decreases the value of a 9mm SP101, but that's my opinion. You could not pay me to shoot your friend's revolver because of former experience with ported revolvers. The only consideration I'd give to purchase of that revolver would be if I already owned or had a line on an unported 9mm SP101 barrel and had a 'smith lined up to do the barrel swap. But that's me. If someone twisted my arm to provide a value, I'd say $450-$500, but again that's my opinion. Personally, I wouldn't buy a ported SP101 in any chambering at any price.

Also, your friend's SP101 appears to have a bobbed hammer, effectively making it a double-action-only (DAO) revolver. In other words, it's a defense gun, not a target gun. You would have to pull the trigger for each shot, as opposed to cocking the hammer first to take advantage of the lighter single-action trigger pull. Still, it would be effective at across the room distances, say, out to 20-25 ft in the hands of an experienced shooter, IMO.

My advice: See if you can shoot it first before considering purchase. Maybe your perceptions of shooting it will be more favorable than mine, and if you don't mind the porting, work out a deal with your friend.

Best of luck,

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

A couple of points -

What Noah stated seems to be the popular perception, especially by those that have never shot one - myself included. But a modicum of research on this particular porting system, seems to disagree with that popular notion. Low to no flash and no debris is what we hear from those that have them.

This is a five shot, small frame revolver - what other mission would it have than that of a defensive gun? This isn't a range gun where you are going to stand at the line and manually cock it and shoot it in single action. While having a single action option on a defensive handgun might be nice in some rare instances (and I've hedged my bet by carrying a S&W 638 - best of both worlds), DAO is really a great way to go.

As to the gun itself - it may have been done by either Gemini Customs or by Wiegand Combat - both well respected gunsmiths and ones whose work tends to elevate the price on a piece not depress it. Wiegand developed the porting system, called Hybra-Port, and since Jack does little custom work these days, Gemini offers it as a stand alone or part of a package. Gemini currently marks guns he works on, so look to see if their name is on it anywhere. If not, it may be an early one or it may be by Wiegand. You need to do more research on who did the custom work.

Lastly, these are very desirable guns - as Noah said, just like the S&W 940's. The beauty of these is the fact that they utilize moon clips - absolutely the quickest way to load a revolver. All-in-all, that is a serious defensive piece. $500 may be low for that.

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Montgomery County)

A revolver in 9mm is just wrong.

I don't care how desirable it is, a used SP101 is a $350 gun in any caliber. Not sure why anyone would want to limit themselves to 9mm in a revolver when you have more flexibility in the standard 38/357 model. If you're really hell bent on 9mm in an SP101, get a second 38/357 cylinder and have it converted to 9mm and cut for moon clips.

(Luzerne County)

Good Morning Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for the fast reply and good info on the Ruger SP101. I will ask to look at the Ruger one more time to look for markings about the ports. Will also ask if i can shoot a few, which I doubt she would let me, since the ruger looks like it was not even fired. I will do more research on this. Although she has a few more pistol for sale, Makarov's and such. I will post for update. Again, I am truly greatful for being a member to such a great site. God Bless.

ps. Hubby passed a month ago, she selling everything.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    A couple of points -

What Noah stated seems to be the popular perception, especially by those that have never shot one - myself included. But a modicum of research on this particular porting system, seems to disagree with that popular notion. Low to no flash and no debris is what we hear from those that have them. . .
    My perception is based on having fired Magnaported 357, 44 Spl, and 44 Mag S&W revolvers, a ported Glock, and a Gemini custom SP101 in 357 Magnum, the latter in which I fired 38 Spl rounds. All of them were perceived to be louder, and all but the Glock spit hot burning powder embers, not every round, but enough to make you wonder if it was going to sting this next round to be fired. A case of flinching to be developed if continued. But, not being a "operator" I usually don't wear tactikool gloves, and those would mitigate the distraction of hot burning powder particles.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Ruger made the SP101 for a few years in 9mm and it wasn't terribly popular at the time.
    You mean Ruger tried it again?

I had an opportunity to clean and shoot a Speed Six in 9mm. It needed moon clips, which can still be had... for $6 each/per 10. It was a nice shooting gun and very similar to a .38spl +p in recoil. It felt lighter than the SP101 too and had smaller grips.

I wouldn't choose it over a .357/.38 because of the versatility, but those 9mm are a lot smaller and easier to carry in a pocket than those long .357/.38.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast