Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Do scratches on your guns bother you?

I posted what I thought was a pretty general, harmless rant directed at no one on another forum about this. Specifically, marks that some accessories leave behind when you take them off and how much I hate that. Basically, I take care of my possessions and that caused some delightful fellow to tell me to ask for bags and tags when I call 911 because I'm not qualified to defend myself. What a wonderful place the internet is. I get to take place in a thread where a guy talks about me dying because I don't like my guns getting scratched.

Let's clear this up; I am referring to stupid marks, mistakes, etc. Normal wear like on the action bars, magazine tube and bolt of a pump action shotgun does NOT bother me. The finish being stripped off under the spot where a magazine clamp used to be or a holster scratching my gun because it's a Fobus piece of garbage DOES bother me. Two wildly different types of marks. Am I wrong to be bothered by these things?

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Do scratches on your guns bother you?

Well if you have to use them actual combat, your gun is going to get beat up just like any tool you choose to use to do a job.

I think it is ridiculous how hostile some people can get over some trivial matters though. If you like to have your gun all shiny and perfect that is all you. Don't let the haters get to you. They do it because they are insecure with themselves so they feel like bringing down to their level.

The vast majority of us aren't going to war with our guns which serve mostly as recreational toys, used a few times a year to hunt, or are lugged around for a situation that will likely never happen.
    Last edited by Kabloosh; April 30th, 2014 at 03:18 AM.

(Warren County)

All my guns were held in a hermetically sealed glass display case, out of sunlight, in a fireproof safe room, so nothing awfulwould happen to them.

Until the tragic boating fire........

Guns are tools that I use, and they get bumped and scratched, just like shovels and wrenches and computers and trucks.

I like used old Milsurp with scratches and dings.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Beaver County)

Try to take good care of them,but if they get marks it's part of the process.

Gives them character,at least in some cases.

As in,I remember when my deer rifle got this "scratch",it was dad's and my last hunt together.

On the other hand if I'm doing work on a firearm,and I slip and make a mark,not so much.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Northampton County)

I hate scratches on my guns, sunglasses and watches.

Yea yea, I know they are tools and I know the more I obsess about not scratching them the more scratches I will get.

I am not going to take a $1000 rifle and throw it around in the dirt because I want to pretend I am in the special forces.

(Northampton County)

I'm kind of the same way as the OP. A few little minor scratches don't bother me on most of my guns. Wear marks don't bother me on most of my guns. If I do something that scratches a gun and then see it, that ticks me off. Or if some accessory were to cause a mark that would tick me off as well. The non-specific marks that simply appear like magic irritate me less.

(Philadelphia County)

Well, I can tell you how it feels when I accidently slipped and made an idiot mark on my Kimber Eclipse Target II. Every time I take out that gun, the scratch screams at me "IDIOT!" I still have to buff it out.

(Beaver County)

I take good care of my guns but as I use them they get wear it adds charater an personality I especially like to see the wear on my edc an hope that when I am gone from this world an it gets handed down to my son it will have a nice clean used patina , you know it like a pair of old comfy blue jeans you never want to give up .

(Wayne County)

Scratches while using a tool is OK, scratches from doing something STUPID not OK.

(Mercer County)

I don't scratch or beat my guns on purpose, BUT, my EDC carry pistols and revolvers have scratches, dings, have the bluing worn etc. I consider them as giving character to the firearm.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast