Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stovepipes

(Allegheny County)

Default Stovepipes

They are great for stoves and for houses that need ventilation but not for my gun!

My neos .22 has stovepipes about 1 of out every 5 rounds on some days i go shooting. I contribute this to the use of cheap federal ammo, as the more expensive rounds tend to do this much less. But is there anything else that could be cause this? I mean its seriously about 1 out every 4 rounds.

Any insight would be appreciated

(Chester County)

Default Re: Stovepipes

Make sure the gun is well cleaned and properly lubricated. Check to see if there is any damage to the extractor.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Allegheny County)

Its definatly clean, as i clean it throughly after each range trip. I will check the extractor when i get the chance

Quote Originally Posted by mongose99 View Post
    They are great for stoves and for houses that need ventilation but not for my gun!

My neos .22 has stovepipes about 1 of out every 5 rounds on some days i go shooting. I contribute this to the use of cheap federal ammo, as the more expensive rounds tend to do this much less. But is there anything else that could be cause this? I mean its seriously about 1 out every 4 rounds.

Any insight would be appreciated
    I'm not overly familiar with the Neos, but some .22 autos are finicky eaters, my brother-in-law's Walther P22 won't feed the Federal stuff, nor will my cousin's Kimber .22 conversion kit.

If it feeds "X" but not "A" it's probably just the ammo. Try finding another brand of ammo. I generally stick with Remington .22LR "ThunderBolt" and have never had an issue, even in other peoples ammo sensitive guns.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Lawrence County)

Many rounds on her?

You need to run some hot loads to loosen it up some?

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

The gun is about a month old and already has about 3500 rounds through her. It was real picky at first with ammo choices and would only feed with certain ammo. It got over that stage and will now feed just about anything with no problems. Due to budget reasons lately its been feeding off off bulk packs of federal (stovepipes often), and winchester xpert (stovepipes frequently but not as much). I have run subsonic rounds through her as well as high velocity, like cci stingers. Its only ever had 50 cci stingers through it since i bought these when i got the gun and it originally refused to feed them.

Very very few to no feed problems, just stovepipes out the ass. Once my current stock of ammo is gone i plan to stick to mainly cci mini mags, but im not sure if this will cure the problem.

Like i had mentioned the gun is throughly cleaned regularly and i have not looked at the extractor yet since i have posted this

(Chester County)

3500 rounds in a month.... Yeah you may want to check the extractor. The gun itself had better be broken in after that many rounds.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    3500 rounds in a month.... Yeah you may want to check the extractor. The gun itself had better be broken in after that many rounds.

I like shooting

very very much so

My Neos likes the bulk Remington. I don't know how many rounds it has through it, but a lot. I've got all three barrels and swap them out at the range. You might want to check and make sure the barrel is in correctly with no crud keeping it from locking in right. You said you clean it after you shoot so that may not be your trouble. I've never had any trouble with mine.

(Philadelphia County)

Which Federal ammunition are you guys talking about? I am getting a lot of failures with my Sig PL-22, using Federal Champion ammo. It's not as bad as the OP's problem but it's about 5% of rounds fired thus far (it's new, only had 400 rounds fired). At first I put it down to breaking in / my technique, but now I'm beginning to wonder. I have to use range ammo at my usual shooting venue so I haven't been able to try it with other ammunition yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast