Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Gun License Questions

So i just got to looking over the form and as far as i was assumption i would pass all the requirements and then i saw

HAVE YOU EVER BEEN INVOLUNTARILY COMMITTED TO A HOSPITAL/HEALTH CARE FACILITY FOR A MENTAL HEALTH
    CONDITION OR OTHER TREATMENT, OR ADJUDICATED INCOMPETENT/INCAPACITATED?

once i read that i thought on December 1998 when i was 12 my mother called the police because she said i was acting suspicious (i left the house to goto the store at 10pm which was uncharacteristic of me...) and not listening to her so she called the police who took me to the local hospital where i got a drug test which i passed and then she had me 302'd i assume as i had to spend 7 days in a mental health facility where they evaluated me i was released after that time but was required to do 3 months of outpatient therapy

(kid not listening to parent? lets diagnose him with ODD- Oppositional Defiant Disorder)

anyways i'm now 28 and i don't know if i should bother with filling out the form as it was more of a forced evaluation and not a commitment i was never in danger of harming myself or others.

I have seen other posts where people suggested getting a lawyer (expensive).
    When i think of being committed (or the reason of it being on the form) i think of a person being diagnosed with ; schizophrenia,bipolar,depression and suicide with a 1+ month stay along with medication.

does this forced event 16 years ago really bar me from ever legally owning a firearm?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Gun License Questions

Something as important as your firearms rights is worth a few bucks to get advice from an expert....expert being the important word.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityK9Cop View Post
    Something as important as your firearms rights is worth a few bucks to get advice from an expert....expert being the important word.
    ^ This, but that attorney won't be able to do anything but guess until he has access to your medical records from the event in question. Since those are your records you can save a lot of time by getting them up front, now.

You might even be able to read and make sense of them yourself, but it would be real helpful to walk into a lawyers office with those records already in hand.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    but it would be real helpful to walk into a lawyers office with those records already in hand.
    and possibly cheaper too.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    ^ This, but that attorney won't be able to do anything but guess until he has access to your medical records from the event in question. Since those are your records you can save a lot of time by getting them up front, now.

You might even be able to read and make sense of them yourself, but it would be real helpful to walk into a lawyers office with those records already in hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by McSull View Post
    and possibly cheaper too.
    Definitely helpful and cheaper. Pay the lawyer to answer a specific question based on the known facts, instead of paying him to lay out every possible permutation of reality that could affect your case.

You don't need to pay a lawyer to track down records, in a lot of cases. Just don't burn any bridges by being a dick to the clerks and bureaucrats that you'll be talking to.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    by being a dick to the clerks and bureaucrats that you'll be talking to.
    You really like to ruin every bodies fun,,,,,,, Phil. Party pooper.
    George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by cloudera View Post
    So i just got to looking over the form and as far as i was assumption i would pass all the requirements and then i saw

HAVE YOU EVER BEEN INVOLUNTARILY COMMITTED TO A HOSPITAL/HEALTH CARE FACILITY FOR A MENTAL HEALTH
    CONDITION OR OTHER TREATMENT, OR ADJUDICATED INCOMPETENT/INCAPACITATED?

once i read that i thought on December 1998 when i was 12 my mother called the police because she said i was acting suspicious (i left the house to goto the store at 10pm which was uncharacteristic of me...) and not listening to her so she called the police who took me to the local hospital where i got a drug test which i passed and then she had me 302'd i assume as i had to spend 7 days in a mental health facility where they evaluated me i was released after that time but was required to do 3 months of outpatient therapy

(kid not listening to parent? lets diagnose him with ODD- Oppositional Defiant Disorder)

anyways i'm now 28 and i don't know if i should bother with filling out the form as it was more of a forced evaluation and not a commitment i was never in danger of harming myself or others.

I have seen other posts where people suggested getting a lawyer (expensive).
    When i think of being committed (or the reason of it being on the form) i think of a person being diagnosed with ; schizophrenia,bipolar,depression and suicide with a 1+ month stay along with medication.

does this forced event 16 years ago really bar me from ever legally owning a firearm?
    Let me start off by agreeing with everyone else that you need to get the records and seek advise from an attorney that handles these types of cases..

My reason then for responding is, based on your description of events, It's highly possible that you weren't 302'd.. A parent can sign a minor-child into a mental health facility against their will. In this scenario, it shouldn't count as a disqualifying commitment - in essence, a parent checking their minor child into a mental health hospital is no different (legally) then sending them to fat camp.