Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Chamber size, 3 or 3 1/2

Looking to by a new shot gun, most likely a Winchester for general use, clay birds, turkey, and other small game birds. No ducks or geese at this time. Wondering if a 3" shell is enough or should i spend the extra dollars for the 3 1/2" model.
    What would I be missing out on by limiting my choices with the 3"
    Sit down! You'll never clear leather.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Chamber size, 3 or 3 1/2

What will you be missing - a sore and dislocated shoulder (ok, maybe not that bad).

Unless you are going to do a lot of wing shooting, 3" should be fine. Most of what you plan to use it for will be done with 2-3/4" shells anyway.

Side Note (and maybe something to think about):
    If you plan to keep a SHTF stock of shells on hand, go with 2-3/4" shells (00 buck or slug). Yes, your gun can chamber longer, but not every shotgun can. If you find someone else's shotgun in your hands and need your ammo, 3" shells don't work well in a 2-3/4" chamber. I have an early 70s Ithaca with a 2-3/4" chamber, and a Mossberg with a 3" chamber. My SHTF ammo stash is 2-3/4 so I don't need to worry about grabbing the wrong box.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Washington County)

I recently came into a 3 1/2 chambered turkey gun. I have only been putting 3" in it.

I don't really see a need for 3 1/2. JMO.
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by omgur2 View Post
    Looking to by a new shot gun, most likely a Winchester for general use, clay birds, turkey, and other small game birds. No ducks or geese at this time. Wondering if a 3" shell is enough or should i spend the extra dollars for the 3 1/2" model.
    What would I be missing out on by limiting my choices with the 3"
    Rattling your fillings.
    I've shot 3 1/2 turkey loads twice...that was enough for me.

Granted by spending extra on the longer chamber you'll have more choice down the road.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Dauphin County)

When I upgraded shotguns a few years ago I bought a Remington 11-87 supermag that I had nothing but problems with. Eventually Remington replaced it with a Versa-Max & I couldn't be happier.

I'm not advocating for you to buy a Remington here, there are many 3.5" auto & pumps out there to choose from (I will say stay away from the 11-87 super mag). The biggest thing I found out with the 11-87 SM is that it's common that they do not like trap loads. You'll also find this concern more prevalent on 3.5" autos than 3".

I like the 3.5" option because I can utilize a wider assortment of shells. That said, a 3" shell will take out anything you need it to - Geese, duck & turkey. I wouldn't say you have a significant advantage by being able to shoot an extra 1/8 oz of lead or steel.

3.5" do thump. The only time I notice it is when patterning a load. otherwise you only need one a turkey & i'm standing up to shoot waterfowl so the shock isn't really a problem.

I also like the idea that if I forgot my shells in the truck, I can definitely get by with bumming a few off my hunting partner & it doesn't matter what he's using.

(Jefferson County)

Food for thought...

Everything that walks on the surface of this planet has been killed by the 2-1/2" 12ga shell at one time or another. Yes, I said 2-1/2". From mice on up to elephant have been killed with it. ...so think for a second, is the 3-1/2" really necessary when 2-1/2", 2-5/8", 2-3/4", and 3" have done it all and can still do it all? Even the 3" shell isn't necessary.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Food for thought...

Everything that walks on the surface of this planet has been killed by the 2-1/2" 12ga shell at one time or another. Yes, I said 2-1/2". From mice on up to elephant have been killed with it. ...so think for a second, is the 3-1/2" really necessary when 2-1/2", 2-5/8", 2-3/4", and 3" have done it all and can still do it all? Even the 3" shell isn't necessary.
    Yeah, but think about it... 3 1/2 makes things deader

Longer shell gives a little longer range, turkey, is tough but say you where going water foul, geese, you might want that little extra oumph... Mind you, like other s have said, bring the tylenol for the shoulder after.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Rattling your fillings.
    I've shot 3 1/2 turkey loads twice...that was enough for me.

Granted by spending extra on the longer chamber you'll have more choice down the road.
    You will never feel it with a bird in front of you...

Buying the 3 1/2" does give you more choices. My all around hunting shotgun is chambered in 3 1/2", but I use 3" for turkey, 2 3/4" for deer slugs, and 3 1/2" for goose...

Options are always good.

(Bucks County)

I think 3" mag shells have more than enough snot to them. Unless you're one of those anti-aircraft goose hunters I used to run into in Joisey, it's plenty big enough. If you think you need more, get a 10 gauge.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Food for thought...

Well stated.

When I decided to go to a dedicated turky gun a few years ago I got caught up in the 3 1/2" hype so I bought an 835. I've shot exactly one box of 3 1/2's through it when I patterned it and that was plenty. I'm not what I would call recoil shy (I actually think most Mosins are pussy cats) but, those things hurt after about 5 rounds. By ten I was left with a very nice multi-colored bruise for the next several days. I hunted for years with a Mossy 500 and 3" turkey loads. They never failed me and I'm not really sure why I chose to go to the bigger shells. I have one box of federal 3 1/2" turkey loads that will last me a long time because I never shoot the things unless a gobbler lines up in the sights.

My advice save the extra $$$$ and buy some shells. 3" is plenty of gun for anything you will hunt in the US.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast