Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default If you haven't taken a Fire Institute class, you should.

I just finished up the three-day Basic Tactical Pistol Class offered by the Fire Institute (www.fireinstitute.org) at PMSC. All I can say is that if you carry a firearm, then you need to take this class(or one like it).

Most who have shot with me know that I take my shooting pretty seriously. On a scale of 1-10, I would have thought that my pistol skills were a solid 5. I found out Friday morning that my skills were actually a weak 2. By the end of three days, my skills are a confident 7. I saw guys that wouldn't even register on the scale, end up shooting at a solid 4 or 5 level. Impressive.

Everything about the Fire Institute program is first class. This is amazing, considering that the guys that run the organization do not make a penny from it. They volunteer countless hours and personal expense to provide world class training to guys like me.

The class was instructed by Giles Stock, one of the most respected instructors in the country. His skill and technique were awesome. I was making shots, on demand, that I would have never thought that I could make. I don't mean one in five or one in ten. I mean every time, on demand.

I recommend that all of you look up the Fire Institute, save your nickels, and get this training. It is the best money you can spend on skills that could save you life.
    VEGETARIAN: Native American word meaning "bad hunter"

(Monroe County)

Default Re: If you haven't taken a Fire Institute class, you should.

NOW IS THE TIME TO TRAIN LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT.......all the guns in the world won't help if you don't know how to shoot accurately, consistently and under stress.

There are many very good schools for firearms training and ya'll need to get some under your belt.

I have worked as a Range Safety Officer for 10 years now and it never ceases to amaze me how undisciplined and unsafe and untrained so many guys with guns really are! It is scary really.

Currently I live on the left coast but will be moving to PA soon for family reasons. One of my favorite schools here is the FIREARMS ACADEMY OF SEATTLE http://fireamsacademy.com

These guys do a great job training civilians.

Check them out.

(Allegheny County)

i took the class with bear as well. i wholeheartedly agree with him (except for his assessment of his own shooting...he is being modest).

it's very difficult to adequately express in words what you get out of the class...or how fun it is.

giles stock is a great instructor. he knows how to make you as an individual a better shooter. he knows how to identify your weaknesses, and he knows how to get you to correct them. he pushes you beyond what you perceive as your limits...successfully. at the same time, though, he makes it very fun. the class was a blast.

like bear, i considered myself to be a pretty decent shooter going into the class (heck, i shot my first gun about 30 years ago), but i gotta say, i am a way better shooter now than i was three days ago....waaayyyy better.

the lightbulb went on, so to speak, several times during this class for me. giles turned those lightbulbs on.

and not only did i become a much better shooter over the course of the last three days, i also now have a much better understanding of how to continue to improve.

and like bear mentioned, i also watched a couple of other students improve unbelievably over the course of the three days...like you think there must be some imposter showing up in his place by the end of the class because "there is no way that guy is shooting that well after what he was doing 2 days ago".

i really cannot recommend this class highly enough. (and did i mention how much fun it was?)

the FIRE institute guys are all top notch. they are all volunteers who do this solely because they love doing it. those kinds of people tend to be very good at what they do...and the FIRE institute guys are no exception. they are experts both at shooting and at imparting that knowledge to others.

and, because FIRE is a non-profit, volunteer-driven organization, their courses are a real bargain compared to the costs of similar courses offered by for-profit outfits.

in a nutshell, the FIRE institute is top notch training for a bargain basement price delivered in a very fun way. anyone who is within a day's driving distance from pittsburgh and does not take advantage of the opportunities provided by the FIRE institute is cheating themselves out of a truely wonderful experience (that may one day save your life).

thank you tony and pete and all the rest of the FIRE guys!

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

What's the cost of this class....I'd love to take it, but money's gonna be tight for a while.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by P-11 shooter View Post
    What's the cost of this class....I'd love to take it, but money's gonna be tight for a while.

I was just reading the description on F.I.R.E. Institutes website. It's $385, but the only one it showed on the schedule was for this weekend.

(Westmoreland County)

BT and LRT,

Thanks for posting your thoughts.

We appreciate the feedback.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by bdevil73 View Post
    I was just reading the description on F.I.R.E. Institutes website. It's $385, but the only one it showed on the schedule was for this weekend.
    We were hesitant to schedule classes for the second half of the year because Pete and his wife are retiring to AZ. We did not want to move forward with the schedule until after their move.

Their plans have been somewhat temporarily delayed so I imagine we will be completing the 2008 schedule soon.

(Allegheny County)

Great reviews guys!!! More convincing than ever to take the class.

TonyF, looking forward to the new schedule.

(Montgomery County)

Is this something only offered on the western end of the state? Anyone know of courses like this that are reputable on the eastern side?

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by soup View Post
    Is this something only offered on the western end of the state?
    Yes.

Anyone know of courses like this that are reputable on the eastern side?
    West Shore Sportsmen's.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast