Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Carry in Chicago?

I am a PA resident w/ a LTCF. I am spending alot of time in Chicago & will do so for the foreseeable future. I noticed that IL issues a non-resident CCW permit to residents of SC & HI, but not PA. I was wondering if there was any way for me to get a IL CCW permit. I can obtain an IL residence, but would assume that I would have to 'live there' for a couple of years before I could get a CCW permit.

So, the short question is, is there anything I could do so that I can carry in Chicago?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Carry in Chicago?

Unless you are either a resident of IL or have a permit from one of the approved states so that you can get an IL non-resident permit - you are crap out of luck for carrying on your person outside of your vehicle.

IL does honor all states' permits in a vehicle. But if you get out it has to be locked up in the vehicle(lockbox).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Unless you are either a resident of IL or have a permit from one of the approved states so that you can get an IL non-resident permit - you are crap out of luck for carrying on your person outside of your vehicle.

IL does honor all states' permits in a vehicle. But if you get out it has to be locked up in the vehicle(lockbox).
    That is actually good news. So If I understand you correctly, I can have a loaded gun inside the vehicle in IL. If I get out (as in go to the hotel for the night), I can take the pistol with me but it must be unloaded and in a lockbox.

I got concerned because 1) I do not like going across four state lines unarmed and 2) because of a particular situation. I was picking up someone at midnight at the Midway airport. The truck tranny was spewing oil & blistering hot. All that was on my mind was me hoping that the truck would hold up long enough to get me out of that neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    That is actually good news. So If I understand you correctly, I can have a loaded gun inside the vehicle in IL. If I get out (as in go to the hotel for the night), I can take the pistol with me but it must be unloaded and in a lockbox.

I got concerned because 1) I do not like going across four state lines unarmed and 2) because of a particular situation. I was picking up someone at midnight at the Midway airport. The truck tranny was spewing oil & blistering hot. All that was on my mind was me hoping that the truck would hold up long enough to get me out of that neighborhood.
    ILLINOIS RESIDENTS

I am at least 21 years old.
    I have a valid Firearm Owner’s Identification card.
    I have not been convicted or found guilty of a misdemeanor involving the threat of physical force or violence to any person within the past 5 years.
    I do not have 2 or more violations related to driving while under the influence of alcohol, other drugs, intoxicating compounds within the past 5 years.
    I am not subject to a pending arrest warrant, prosecution or proceeding for an offense or action that could lead to disqualification to own or possess a firearm.
    I have not been in a residential or court-ordered treatment for alcoholism, alcohol detoxification, or drug treatment within the past 5 years.
    You may be eligible if you satisfy the above and no objections are filed by law enforcement. (Section 15)
    NON-RESIDENTS

I am at least 21 years old.
    I have not been convicted of any Felony.
    I have not been adjudicated as a mental defective by a court of law.
    I have not been involuntarily committed to a facility for the purpose of mental health treatment.
    I have not been admitted as a voluntary patient in a facility for the purpose of mental health treatment within the past 5 years.
    I have not been addicted to narcotics.
    I am not intellectually disabled or developmentally disabled.
    I am not subject to any active Order of Protection.
    I have not within the past 5 years been convicted of battery, assault, aggravated assault, violation of an order of protection, or a substantially similar offense in which a firearm was used or possessed.
    I have not been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic battery or substantially similar offense.
    I have not been adjudicated a delinquent minor for the commission of an offense that if committed by an adult would be a felony.
    I have not been convicted or found guilty of a misdemeanor involving the threat of physical force or violence to any person within the past 5 years.
    I do not have 2 or more violations related to driving while under the influence of alcohol, other drugs, intoxicating compounds within the past 5 years.
    I am not subject to a pending arrest warrant, prosecution or proceeding for an offense or action that could lead to disqualification to own or possess a firearm.
    I have not been in a residential or court-ordered treatment for alcoholism, alcohol detoxification, or drug treatment within the past 5 years.
    You may be eligible if you satisfy the above and no objections are filed by law enforcement. (Section 15)
    https://ccl4illinois.com/ccw/public/home.aspx

Section 15 can be found here http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publ...F/098-0063.pdf
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

An Illinois resident application must contain the resident's FOID number, and an Illinois Driver's License number or an Illinois resident Identification Card number.

A non-resident applicant must reside in a state with "substantially similar" concealed carry requirements, which the ISP has recognized at this time are only two; Hawaii and one of the Carolina's, either North or South. The big hurdle to being substantially similar is in the mental health reporting requirements.

Bushy

Illinois is not a "must notify" state, but Illinois law requires that one must respond truthfully if asked about firearms in the car.
    Last edited by bushy223; April 23rd, 2014 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Additional Info:

(Delaware County)

Can someone explain to me why I can't apply for the IL permit? If - as a non-res - I take their proscribed training, pass their proscribed background checks, agree to all of their firearm laws, and pay their ridiculous $300, then what does it matter where I live or what my licensing requirements are at home?

Is there something other than them still not wanting to issue to anyone, but the courts made them do it?

You pegged it, Mike Madigan doesn't want licensed carry and surely wants as little as possible after the courts said the old scheme was unlawful. Madigan is the Speaker of the house and the bill that passed was written by his staff.

The court decision didn't say theere had to be concealed carry, just that the laws in effect ante prohibited all carry outside the home. Had the legislature not enacted a concealed carry plan, all forms of carry, open or concealed, would have been the default condition.

Bushy