Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Conceal Carry Options for Women

After much research, debate, and disucssion my wife finally settled on a Khar PM9 for her every day CC gun.

But, the problem is now trying to figure out how to carry it. My wife, like most women in their 20's, wears mostly tight clothing. There is no where I can think of sticking a gun on her and she refuses to get less fitted pants to allow her to carry IWB. She tried an ankle holster and hated it and I think a thigh holster, when wearing skirts, sounds a bit ridiculous.

The only option I see available is an off the body carry in a specialized purse holster. I saw quite a few online and some Galco purse holsters looked nice. But, I would still prefer if she had the actual firearm on her instead of in a bag that could get snatched or otherwise stolen.

Does anyone out there have any suggestions or any experience with purse holsters?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Conceal Carry Options for Women

Doesn't directly answer your question, but have your wife read some of what the Cornered Cat has to say, specifically on the topic of holsters and carry options. I know of a number of women interested in carrying who have found the information there to be really helpful. An option your wife may not have considered is the belly band (which apparently doesn't require much of a wardrobe change). Purse carry is also discussed there, both advantages and disadvantages. Good luck!

(Montgomery County)

Lightbulb Re: Conceal Carry Options for Women

Quote Originally Posted by archon View Post
    My wife, like most women in their 20's, wears mostly tight clothing.
    I picture (or several pictures) would better allow me to answer your question.

While you're looking for some pictures, may I suggest this?

http://www.desantisholster.com/r60.html

If she likes skirts and dresses, this is one my wife likes:

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPT3.as...&CatalogID=393

If she's just GOTTA carry off body (a terrible, terrible idea, btw) she likes these:

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPT3.as...&CatalogID=393
    They make a version that is a really for real day planner, but it costs about twice as much

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPT3.as...&CatalogID=394
    This is her favorite concept for off body carry, but at $300 she doesn't have one yet.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Monroe County)

like most women in their 20's, wears mostly tight clothing.
    Hey, I'm in my 40's and I wear tight clothing, it's the body not the age that dictates the style of wear.

Personally I debated on what I could wear to conceal better and then came to the conclusion of 'who cares if it shows'. I even OC'd at the local hardware store yesterday, no big deal. In summertime it's very hard to CC for most women and men for that fact unless you are willing to wear baggy clothing (which I am not). I carry weak side towards the front (10 o'clock), sometimes my shirt is long enough to cover the entire holster but most times it is not. I say let her try it in a regular holster and see how it feels to her. I really don't agree with carrying in a purse or other means of off body carriers. I've seen to many purses stolen (snatch and run) and it would seem to be to hard to reach if it was tucked away in any type of other off body carrier if needed, jmho.

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

I'd say warm weather OC if she is up for it and if your local PD isn't a bunch of jack boots about people OCing to where they would harrass her for it if someone called with a "woman with gun".

I wear loose clothes, but in hot weather like we are now having, even my loose t-shirts will show rediculous printing . No way I am wearing some vest over my t-shirt in 90 degree heat. A belly band or thunderwear would probably work ok though, so long as my sweat doesn't permeate my gun! I had a near fit the other night when I found a teeny spot of surface rust on my XD9! I have the older ones before they put that rustproof finish on the metal.
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Clearfield County)

As a 23 year old 115 lb woman who CC's... I believe there is one word for fanny pack... EEEEEWWWEEE... haha! No way she'd wear one.

I usually wear an uncle mike's vertical holster with a zip up hoodie or light corduroy jacket... or in this heat... I simply OC. The style these days is long shirts are in, so it's easy to tuck it under even a tight shirt that still allows you to show off whatever you want. Sure, it will imprint, but she can just carry her purse on that side of her hip and I've found that people don't even notice.

My everyday carry is a Smith & Wesson 4006. I don't like a defense load less than .40 S&W and personally don't like shooting anything smaller than a compact. I can appreciate their design, use, and purpose, I just don't care for them. Personal preference. So it can get interesting trying to CC at times. I just stopped worrying so much about it.

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

Hey now, back when I was 120 pounds, I did wear a fanny pack a bunch of times! I was so scrawny, it probably made me look better.
    LOL, I am a woman...

Lightbulb Re: Conceal Carry Options for Women

Hi folks after looking here several months ago in hopes of finding a holster that would work for me I am back. I'm sad to say I could find nothing that would hide on my body under fitted clothes, but happy to share that I got pissed and designed my own holster. It is a bra style holster that sits right under where your regular bra sits, and the grip comes up right into your cleavage. I also make a garter holster that works quite well too. I have photos on(Link Removed)
    All of the photos are on my mannequin, and I know that it doesn't look like the most comfortable thing in the world. I however where mine 5 day a week for 12 hours a day! After looking on a ton of forums and websites I figured I would come back and see if I could help some of you out who are still looking for a holster that conceals and is comfortable.

Note:
    Business advertising should be in the "classifieds/commercial" section
    The Staff
    Last edited by Emptymag; April 20th, 2009 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Business advertising should be in the "classifieds/commercial" section