Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hokkmike Guest

Default Cleaning your carry gun....

Ok, so I have a S&W .380 Bodyguard that I pocket carry. Except for a couple of times a year I do not shoot it.

It sits in its holster in a very convenient location to my bed by night and in my front right pocket by day.

I figure a once a month, discharged or not, cleaning is sufficient.

Maybe I could go longer?? I don't keep "stuff", i.e., tissues, candy, keys, etc, in with my gun.

What do you think?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Cleaning your carry gun....

Unload it and look it over. Lint, fuzz and more wtfs get into it than you would expect. I dont feel the need to clean my guns after each range session. As a matter of fact I specifically dont clean my carry guns after range time. I do keep a sharp eye out for barrel and slide obstructions though. I agree that cleaning it once a month is sufficient.
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

(Montgomery County)

I am not sure how to respond to this as I shoot my carry guns (a S&W J-frame or a KelTec P-3AT) every chance I get. Proficiency is vital.

That aside, I have several guns that I do not get to shoot on a regular basis. Almost safe queens. I do clean them and oil them occasionally, usually when cleaning something else. It cannot hurt to remove any accumulated dust and to refresh the protective layer of lubricant. I really enjoy disassembling and cleaning my guns, too.

Clean it even when it has not been fired, yes, but even better, get out and shoot it some more.

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Remington788 View Post
    I am not sure how to respond to this as I shoot my carry guns (a S&W J-frame or a KelTec P-3AT) every chance I get. Proficiency is vital.

Clean it even when it has not been fired, yes, but even better, get out and shoot it some more.
    Got you. I do what I can. Thanks....

(Chester County)

I could not carry a gun that I did not shoot regularly, so my response is based on my favorite gun that I do not carry and do not get to shoot all that often.

My Beretta 92fs sits in my safe for up to months at a time and only gets cleaned after it has made a trip to the range.

My carry gun, a Glock 26, gets cleaned a bit more often. Usually after each weekly range trip.

(Mercer County)

The best way I can answer this is to say My EDC guns get cleaned/oiled is when ever I feel they need to cleaned; be it daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, etc.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Delaware County)

They have to be cleaned???????

George,
    So many guns, so little money.

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sshuker View Post
    I could not carry a gun that I did not shoot regularly, so my response is based on my favorite gun that I do not carry and do not get to shoot all that often.

My Beretta 92fs sits in my safe for up to months at a time and only gets cleaned after it has made a trip to the range.

My carry gun, a Glock 26, gets cleaned a bit more often. Usually after each weekly range trip.
    My question is a little off point but could you define "regularly" for me. No sarcasm or criticism implied here. How many times a year do you think is sufficient? Thanks...

I've let my p229 go months without a cleaning or even lube. I made sure that when I went to the range, I didn't oil it at all before to see exactly how the gun would have done in a SD situation. Mine did fine. Would yours be fine under the same circumstances? Who knows. Maybe it would, but maybe it wouldn't.
    Practicing free speech outside of the designated free speech zones.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    My question is a little off point but could you define "regularly" for me. No sarcasm or criticism implied here. How many times a year do you think is sufficient? Thanks...

No criticism intended, but I would say that you fire it nearly every time you go to the range. My mouse gun shoots and feels differently than my 1911, which I never carry. I need to be real accurate with the EDC, more than my safe queen.

If I can't get to the range (easier now that WallyWorld is getting regular ammo shipments), then I practice drawing from my pocket, get a sight picture and dry firing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast