Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Is 20ga. viable for HD?

Been contemplating on building an HD scattergun setup, and I already know what Im looking for, 12ga. Mossberg Cruiser with an 18"bbl. However, my girlfreind, who is recoil-shy and not strong of arm, might be too scared of a 12ga. to practice with it, and it may be too heavy of a gun to hoist around.

So, whats the concensus on 20ga. being a reliable, effective HD round? What are my choices for ammo? And who makes a decent youth 20ga. pumper, that can be found used for cheap?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Is 20ga. viable for HD?

Dont buy into the power mentality.. ..the 20ga is plenty fine. Most 20ga loads these days are actually 12ga by standard. 1-1/3oz is "12 gauge", there's 20ga shell out there that are loaded that heavy.

Just find some 2-3/4 or 3" buckshot and use your most open choke if you can change them.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Luzerne County)

20ga is very viable for HD. Best shotgun I ever had for HD was Ithaca MP pump, ain't no denying the sound of a round being racked into the chamber, makes a criminal really think. Mossberg's 500 is an excellent gun.

(Delaware County)

20 ga guns generally have 20 ga frames. 20 ga ammo and 12 ga ammo have about the same powder charge and shot payload. That might translate into more recoil for your little woman. Try it first at a range witha borrowed gun.

Best regards,
    CM
    "If you believe the term "militia" means the National Guard then you must believe that freedom of speech is reserved for the Government Printing Office." - Some guy, 2/2007

Yes, it is.

In fact, it's a heck of a lot more viable than a 12 guage your girlfriend is afraid to shoot.

Edit: We bought our son a Mossberg Bantam Youth Model 500. It's served us well all hunting season through rain and snow, and now that hunting season is over the plug is out and it sits ready for buckshot.

It's a lightweight, very pleasant recoiling gun. My wife and son love it, I have to be careful not to punch myself in the nose when I shoot it.
    Last edited by JoeWilliams; June 8th, 2008 at 11:36 AM.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Jefferson County)

If weight isn't much of a concern - you can usually add some lead to the butt stock to absorb some of the recoil. I can go into more detail if its something of interest.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lebanon County)

20 ga. is fine for HD, just use something heavier than a light target load. (That goes for any gauge shotgun).
    As far as recoil is concerned, as long as she can hold it without losing control, the scare factor of a perp will be far greater than the scare factor of recoil.
    Practice with light to moderate loads to build confidence, then try a few heftier loads to show her that she can maintain control. That should give both of you the peace of mind that you need.
    As far as make/model, check your local shops for a used Remington, Winchester, Mossberg, etc. You don't need a fancy or flashy tool, you just need a functional one.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Washington County)

I concur. 20ga offers a slightly faster follow up, and the round is paramount.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by CommonHighrise View Post
    Is 20ga. viable for HD?

Would you stand downrange from it? If the answer is no, then its sufficient for HD

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Would you stand downrange from it? If the answer is no, then its sufficient for HD
    I wouldnt want to stand downrange of .22 Super Collibri rounds, doesnt mean Id rely on them to be manstoppers .

Thanks for the input. I think once I find the gun, Ill make some knox molds to take to the range, so the lady and I can both see what the payloads will do. Like I said, not so worried about her being scared of the gun at the moment of truth, but not wanting to keep in good practice with it during range trips.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast