Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Quick draw technique

So I'm at the range and it occurs to me that even though I carry, I tend to practice at 25 meters with pistol in hand. So lets try at 7 meters from the holster, draw as fast as possible and double tap. Less than stellar. I carry an XD, no thumb safety, in a DeSantis OWB. Trying to get it out quickly feels somehow unsafe. Hand slips down the back and off the grip safety, so when I bring it up, won't go bang. I've never been a cowboy, and haven't spent hours in the mirror practicing, and now it feels like maybe I should. Any techniques, equipment mods I need to think about? Safety is paramount to me in this regard.

Default Re: Quick draw technique

Quote Originally Posted by BenningBoy View Post
    So I'm at the range and it occurs to me that even though I carry, I tend to practice at 25 meters with pistol in hand. So lets try at 7 meters from the holster, draw as fast as possible and double tap. Less than stellar. I carry an XD, no thumb safety, in a DeSantis OWB. Trying to get it out quickly feels somehow unsafe. Hand slips down the back and off the grip safety, so when I bring it up, won't go bang. I've never been a cowboy, and haven't spent hours in the mirror practicing, and now it feels like maybe I should. Any techniques, equipment mods I need to think about? Safety is paramount to me in this regard.
    When you're doing it at home, in front of the mirror, make sure that the gun is unloaded. :-P

-
    Jim

(Tioga County)

You may need a different holster. Before you do that, buy some snap caps. or other dummy rounds. enough to give you a full load. we will now practice dry firing. When you practice your draw start in slow motion and analyze where your going wrong, correct it. again in slow motion, and again, and again etc. when you can get it out correctly every time for a lot of times start to speed up just a little. and again and again and again until it is reflexive. then speed up some more. If you find you just can't get it out either get a new holster or get a new gun or both. I think your problem is your not getting a good grip out of the door. you need a firm grip. you can dry fire at home in front of a wall. just remember when you unload the real stuff put it way way away and be sure there is absolutely positively no live ammo around. check it three times.

as an add: If you can't get it out of the holster without sliding your grip around you have the wrong combination of holster/ gun. your grip should start firm and remain firm all the way to point and shoot. grab that sucker, it ain't a canary and you won't hurt it.

Quote Originally Posted by BenningBoy View Post
    Last edited by rwilson452; June 7th, 2008 at 11:57 PM. Reason: more

(Lawrence County)

Most people just think a draw.....is a draw.

In fact, you can draw many ways and it does have a technical aspect all its own.

I'm going to oversimplify.....

First arrange the gun where you can feel comfortable and keep it there. I like the back edge of the backstrap to touch my forearm when my arms are relaxed. Makes a nice index.

To get a fast first shot, you need to concentrate on getting that gun out of holster. Some people bring the strong hand up past the grip, drop the hand onto the gun in a shooting position and rip her out. Others scoop it out on the upstroke. Scooping can be faster, but a bit less stable....you may have to adjust the grip before you address the target.

OK...on to technique. Get BOTH arms moving at once. The strong hand moves to the gun, the weak hand to the stomach region. The strong hand rips the gun and meets the gun for a combined grip somewhere around solar plexus. Before this point, I'm looking at the point I want to shoot (Looking at the target makes you faster too). As the grip comes together and I'm bringing the gun forward.....the focus goes front sight and when I have a picture, I trip it. You may or may not have to wait for this if you point shoot, but that depends on target distance.

When you draw get as high onteh gun as possible. Just ride the trigger finger on the frame above the trigger and when the hands combine for a decent grip, start trigger prepping for the shot.

I cannot stress enough....dry fire practice.

Lycangripitandripitthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Washington County)

Good pointers. We all spend so much time discussing every other aspect of defensive firearms that somehow this slipped past me. But visualizing an encounter and actually attempting it, I think my paper silhouette would have had me. Thanks.

(Lehigh County)

I recently got a Blackhawk Serpa for my 27 Glock. I found that trying to grab the gun and hit the retention lever on an up stroke just didn't work. My finger could not find the lever. What works better for me is to reach high and then push the web of my hand down into the grip this puts my finger on the lever and I have gun gripped properly before coming back up. This is the best I've found so far for me but I'm open to suggestions. However most of the time I have my Kel Tek in my front pocket and that's totally different.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

You do need to practice your draw if you are going to carry. You do not need, or want at first, to practice a fast draw. You'll just keep getting it wrong. Practice drawing S-L-O-W-L-Y. The objective at first isn't speed, it's getting it right everytime. You need to build muscle memory. The speed will come in time. Before practicing too much at the range, it may be best to get mucho practice at home, from the condition in which you normally carry your weapon. UNLOAD the gun, get the ammo out of the room, double check the gun is unloaded, double check again, then start practicing. I've been known to stand in front of the TV and practice while watching the shows. Lots and lots of reps, and you'll find yourself getting faster without thinking about it. But, remember, speed isn't important at this point. Getting each draw right is.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Washington County)

It seems to me that all of the qualities I've looked for in holsters (concealment, retention, etc.) may be actually hindering deployment. Even placement (just rear of my hip) was more for concealability, not accessability. How did I miss that I might need to get this thing out, if not quickly, at least smoothly?

All concealment holsters are a compromise between concealability, comfort, and speed. If you like your holster, and can actually get the gun out, it just becomes a matter of practice.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Allegheny County)

I'm going to try to oversimplify even Lycans oversimplification.

The drawsroke is taught by many trainers to be either a 4 or a 5 step procedure.

Going by the numbers will ensure you do each part everytime.

Step one. With hands at sides, place grip hand onto pistol with the same grip as when you will be shooting. Hand on pistol grip, trigger finger in the register position or along slide OVER the holster. At the same time , take your weakside hand and place it high abdomen.

Step 2. The pistol is drawn straight up, just clearing the holster. The trigger finger is straight along the slide. The weak side hand is still against the body, fingers together and thumb up.

Step 3. The pistol is rotated 90 degrees and positioned just below the pectoral muscle and the safety is disengaged. This is referred to as the retention position and at very close quarters,the pistol can be fired from here to prevent a pistol grab attempt. Some trainers teach to rotate the pistol a wee bit away from the body (especially females) to possibly prevent the slide from catching clothing and skin. The weakside hand is still at the high abdomen position.

Step 4. Move the pistol forward to a low ready position. Only as the pistol moves forward of the weakside hand do you engage the weakside hand portion of grip. This is taught to prevent you from covering your hand as you present.

Step 5. With a full master grip, eyes on target, raise the pistol to the shooting position,acquire sight alignment and a sight picture focusing on the front sight and press the round. You should immediately reacquire a second sight picture upon the first round breaking with the trigger moving no further forward than the trigger reset point.

A very smart man told me along with others that the key to fast is smooth.

To practice presentations, do it in steps, by the numbers.

Do 15 reps of step one only, then 15 reps of steps one and 2 only remembering to reverse the steps slowly from step 2 to step one.

Continue doing step 1, 2 and 3 for 15 reps, again reversing the steps in reholstering.

Next naturally with 15 reps will be steps 1 then 2 then 3 then 4. Reverse the process by slowly counting out the steps in reverse.

Finally do 15 reps of steps 1 through 5 again going in reverse as well.

You will find that the reps ingrain the procedure.

My simplification of the process. Speed will come with CORRECT repetitions.

Just my .02.

27drawfasthand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast