Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New toy

(Montgomery County)

Default New toy

Today while coming home from visiting my grand-kids I stumbled on a Fire House Gun Show. And a SKS followed me home. It was right out of the crate and covered with the gook they cover it with. I also got a handbook for it.

Handbook reads like a legal document or tax return. In three hours of trying to clean it and fool with it I have managed to get most of the gook off the outside. Found out how the bayonet works. Got the cleaning rod apart.

I still don't know what size bullets to use. Which is OK because I don't know how to load it anyway.

I think when I get back from my vacation next week I will find a gunsmith to clean it, check it out and show me how to use it.

Default Re: New toy

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhra View Post
    Today while coming home from visiting my grand-kids I stumbled on a Fire House Gun Show. And a SKS followed me home. It was right out of the crate and covered with the gook they cover it with. I also got a handbook for it.

Handbook reads like a legal document or tax return. In three hours of trying to clean it and fool with it I have managed to get most of the gook off the outside. Found out how the bayonet works. Got the cleaning rod apart.

I still don't know what size bullets to use. Which is OK because I don't know how to load it anyway.

I think when I get back from my vacation next week I will find a gunsmith to clean it, check it out and show me how to use it.
    It uses 7.62 x 39....you can load manually, or use stripper clips to load it.

the goop is called cosmoline, and as much as you got off of it, theres just as much more to get out of it, and out of the stock. if you check out www.usrplusrifle.com they have guides on how to de-cosmo a rifle and how to perform maintenance on your sks.

I bet there's a forum member who might be able to show you around the rifle in your area. They're quite simple as far as rifles go.

(York County)

SKS rifles use 7.62 x 39 ammo.

Definitely do some research on your rifle.

Loading is through the top. Pull the bolt back and it'll lock. It's best to use the rounds on a stripper clip (there's a machined receptacle on the bolt to receive the stripper clip, then you push the rounds into the fixed box magazine.
    You can load the rounds manually through the chamber too.

Initially, load outside in a safe area. Load one round and pull the bolt back and release it. MAKE SURE THE RIFLE IS POINTING IN A SAFE DIRECTION IN CASE YOU HAVE A SLAM FIRE.
    Assuming the round chambers and no slam fire, fire the round. The bolt should lock back on an empty magazine.
    Follow the above procedure and load two (2) rounds. Release the bolt as described. Loading two rounds is to check for doubling (rifle fires the second round when it goes in the chamber. Fire each round, assuming the rifle doesn't double.

If you get a slam fire or doubling, it's likely due to the free floating firing pin sticking (gunked up with the cosmoline).

I've had a few SKS rifles over the years. They're nice plinkers. I've had one slam fire (boy! That'll wake ya up!!!).

Here's a good source of info: SKS-FAQ

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

It's a VERY simple gun. Safety is next to the trigger. Up is safe, Down is fire, load the bullets through the top.

The internet will give you every bit of info you will need, and maybe someone on here with good pictures could give you a step-by-step.

As for getting it checked.....It's always a good idea with a surplus rifle and I'm not going to say you shouldn't, but I wouldn't say it's necessicary. Of course It can't hurt.

Good luck.

(Pike County)

(Montgomery County)

Wow. You guys are great.

(Monroe County)

how much if you dont mind me asking?

(Montgomery County)

$310. total, including tax.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhra View Post
    Wow. You guys are great.
    Yes, we are...

(Montgomery County)

I cleaned it and tested it. It works great one shot at a time.

Today I tried it again. Only this time I put several rounds in it.

I still have to chamber each round. It won't load the next round on it's own.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast