Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st pistol

(Allegheny County)

Default 1st pistol

I looks like in then next month or two, I'm finally going to be getting a pistol. Not really my first, I had a Glock 23 when I turned 21, but I was poor in college and had to sell it. I also carried a Beretta m9 for a year in Iraq.
    After reading this article http://www.pafoa.org/forum/pistols-4...g-handgun.html I'm still not sure what to get.

I love both weapons, but they are a little large for CCW in my circumstances. I'm mostly worried about carrying at work. It's not against policy, but with the culture there, I don't want to stir up anything. Likewise around the family, my wife, mother in law and mother are all anti's. The wife will come around, but I don't want to deal with the mothers' making a scene, and if the wrong person noticed a print at work, well, I'd rather not think about it.

Whatever I get, needs to be concealed very well. It seems like thin would be easier to conceal than short and fat. Too bad .22's don't have much stopping power, a walther p22 would be ideal. Can anyone recommend a good, hi capacity, small sidearm? 9mm or .380 will be the most likely caliber, but I want at least 15 in the mag.

Thanks,
    -Don

Default Re: 1st pistol

Well, it's only got 12 in the mag, but I can recommend an M&P9 compact as a gun that conceals well and is pleasant to carry.

My wife has 500 rounds through hers. It's accurate, the trigger is adequate (better than the Glock and XD, IMHO), and she's had zero FTFs or FTEs with a wide variety of ammo. In the first 200 rounds the slide locked back with with one round left in the mag about 4 times. It hasn't happened at all in the last 300. The common denominator seemed to be very light recoiling loads.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

The best thing would be to find a well stocked gun store/shop in your area and go and fondle . . . . . I mean check out what they have there. Ask questions, S&W, Taurus, Springfield, Glock and others make excellent pistols that would be perfect for you. See how they feel in your hand and hopefully they'll have a indoor range you can try them on.

If your thinking thin, maybe a single stack 9mm or .40 until you and possibly the folks around you (family) get use seeing you and knowing you carry. I would make sure it's capable of shooting a +p+ round for self defense use.

As far as how to CC, try and find a good Inside the Waistband holster, one called the 'supertuck' is suppose to be really good if you need a tucked in shirt, I generally use a Outside the Waistband anymore but there are losts of different companies that make excelent holster for specific guns, Don Hume's usually cost less than $30 which is what I use most of the time when I do need a IWB holster. Another excellent holster is made by 'The Gun Store' on eBay, excellent quailty and very reasonablly priced
    Last edited by tdyoung58; June 7th, 2008 at 09:57 PM.
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Dauphin County)

As for thin and light, Kahr polymers are the way to go. They are all single stacks, are quick to point on target, and have an great track record.

I carry at 4:00 iwb all the time at work. It doesn't print and I have a very active job.

Even with my cheapo dress belt that I have to wear to work, it supports the firearm quite well.

Personally, try the P9.
    in dei gloriam

"Skill in squeezing the trigger is the best life insurance you can get." - WWII Marksman Instructor

(Northampton County)

Glock 19 is a 9mm and holds 15 in the clip, so if you stock with a good Corbon hollow point, then that should give you some decent stopping power. Pretty decent to conceal as well.
    "Our government has no power except that granted it by the people."

President Ronald Reagan

(Allegheny County)

I guess I have put in a pretty tall order. Thin and hi-cap mags don't really go together. If something has to go, I think capacity would be it since I'm not willing to go to a smaller caliber, and can't be discovered.

I cringe thinking about being discovered at work. I work at a clothing company's corporate office, very liberal culture. I've received nasty comments just because I hunt and target shoot. I don't talk about it, but a guy I work and shoot with does. I've been approached by people, after they've had conversations with him, who felt the need to tell me how inappropriate I am. I digress, this is a story for another day.

I've been googling, and came across the kel-tec p11 and pf-9. I like the price, and from what I read they are very thin. Anybody have comments on these, good or bad?

Please, keep the suggestions coming. When I start haunting the gun counters, I want to have a long list of things to ask for, rather than relying on the guy behind the counter.

Walther PPS is very thin, 1.04 inches.

(Jefferson County)

Have you considered a revolver? Many to choose from in sizes and chamberings.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Smile Re: 1st pistol

Don, You're right. Hi cap and thin don't go well together. I carry a Kahr P9 IWB under my right elbow. No printing and very comfortable. The gun is very reliable, light weight, and excellent for self-defense. I have over 2000 rounds through mine with NO malfunctions. It seems that just now, the Kahr CW9 is easier to find, but either will give you good service. I've used the PPKS .380 and Beretta Tomcat (.32). If you'll try the P9 you'll be glad you did.

(Blair County)

Makarov, East German, w' fixed sights!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast