Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default What glock to get?

So I have said for years that I didn't like glock handguns. That I didn't like the way they looked or felt in my hands. I also said I would never own a glock. Lately I've been thinking though, the only time I've ever shot one was before I really understood much about handguns. Much of what I think of them is from holding them and looking at them. I realized that I have no real basis for my opinions. So now I'm wondering if I would actually like them if I tried one out. Who knows maybe I'll find my new favorite handgun? Anyway I've decided to get one but I have no idea what to get. The only niche that my current guns don't cover is something a little smaller for concealed carry. So I'm looking for recommendations. I do want to stick with 9 or 45 as I don't need or want another caliber to buy ammo for right now.

Default Re: What glock to get?

I've always liked the G19/23 size. They conceal easily, but are still large enough to shoot comfortably. The G30 is easy to conceal too, but I find it's a little chunky to carry IWB.
    Last edited by IronButt; April 16th, 2014 at 08:16 AM.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    I've always liked the G19/23 size. They conceal easily, but are still large enough to shoot comfortably. The G30 is easy to conceal too, but I find it's a little chunky to carry IWB.
    Have you considered the 30s? It's dimensionally almost identical to the 19.

OP, you will be hard pressed to beat a G19 for your first glock.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Tioga County)

Glock 19 is a great size for being a useful gun that you can shoot regularly, yet not so large it is uncomfortable to carry.

Look at it this way, Glocks are not hard to get into financially in terms of purchase price, yet if you don't want it, it's a easy sale as a used pistol and retains most of its value.

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post
    Have you considered the 30s? It's dimensionally almost identical to the 19.

I've considered the 30s, but The NEED just isn't there. I have a "few" handguns to choose from when I go out the door; from an S&W 629 all the way down to my 642, with some Glocks, 1911's, HK & Sigs thrown in the middle.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Glock 19 all the way, as stated already it's small enough to conceal very easy and big enough to shoot comfortably. I've had prolly 25 glocks over the last 10 years and on top of the other stuff I bought trying to get away from them, I keep coming back to the first gun I ever bought...a Glock 19 GEN3. Aftermarket parts andd accesories, holsters, sights,grips you name it are available for the Glock. They are simple to work on with a small tool and not an ounce of brains in your head, and not to mention how reliable they are and they feed anything you give them. They're not the prom queen, but most prom queens are high maintenance anyway, they just flat out work no matter how poorly you take care of them.
    As you might have noticed I like them so I guess I'm a fan, but they're popular for a reason and it's not how they look.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by sprrdhawk44 View Post

^^ this ^^

The OP is approaching it correctly, by trying to identify it's purpose/use first. Based on the fact that you don't have a super tiny carry piece now (G26/G30) tells me you don't carry very often. A glock would fit the carry pistol role well, but if you don't carry often, I wouldn't get a subcompact version since it would not get as much use at the range.

The G19 is a great compromise. Very capable as a carry piece, with the proper clothing/system, if you choose to carry. Yet large enough to still put all your fingers on the grip and have fun at the range.

(Wyoming County)

My 2 cents: If you want a Glock & you want it to be compact, I recommend the 26. I have a 27 and really like it but wouldn't recommend the .40 over the 9mm. The 26 will take the mags from it's bigger brothers for higher capacity and you can get sleeves for them so they match the grip well, and give a better grip.

My 27 is the only handgun I have. It's not bad carrying it in the winter, but I don't find it the most convenient or comfortable to carry year round. I've tried ankle holster, shoulder holster, paddle holster & a small of the back holster. None of them have made me happy as a 24/7/365 rig. There are times that make me wish I had an even smaller pistol in .380

I'm just adding to this conversation if you are looking for a Glock to conceal- if so I say 26, if not go bigger.

Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by DelcoPlinker View Post
    ^^ this ^^

The OP is approaching it correctly, by trying to identify it's purpose/use first. Based on the fact that you don't have a super tiny carry piece now (G26/G30) tells me you don't carry very often. A glock would fit the carry pistol role well, but if you don't carry often, I wouldn't get a subcompact version since it would not get as much use at the range.

The G19 is a great compromise. Very capable as a carry piece, with the proper clothing/system, if you choose to carry. Yet large enough to still put all your fingers on the grip and have fun at the range.
    I wouldn't go calling the G26 or G30 as super tiny carry guns, but I get what you mean

(Monroe County)

There is a reason the G19 is probably the best selling Glock.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast