Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Suppressors 9mm & 5.56 (7.62)

So, let me start by saying I am totally new to the silenced world.
    I just recently set up my NFA trust, and while I will be getting a sbr, I think it would be wiser to obtain the couple suppressors I want first.

I have been doing my digging in regard to different suppressors, but there are just so many out there. On top of that, just like anything else, there is no end to the contradicting opinions.

I was going to join that silencer talk forum, just to get some more specific opinions. However, they are racist against gmail and yahoo, so I was unable to register. HA. No, I will not be creating another email for the sole purpose of joining their forum.
    So I remembered I had an account here and I thought I could see if any of you have opinions or advice to offer me.

Let me tell you what I'm working with, and what I am planning.

I want to get 2 silencers, I think. 9mm and one for 5.56.
    I have heard that a lot of people use 7.62 cans on 5.56 and it works just as well. I certainly like the sound of that because then I can use it on 2 platforms. I also heard people do the same thing regarding other calibers (i.e. 45 can on 9mm.)

The main things I'm looking at in a suppressor:
    -sound reduction dry or wet (duh)(haven't hear enough to decide yet dry/wet)
    -weight/length (I don't want a brick on the end of my gun)
    -----Also being able to see my sights is pretty important to me
    -longevity (by this I mean also in regard to db reduction after multiple shots)
    -price (I really don't want to spend $1000 when people seem to think you can get a GOOD can for less)
    *thought I had more but I can't think right now, it's late. or, early.

Let's start with the pistol. I have a Beretta 92fs. This will be the host for the 9mm (or 45) suppressor.
    As I said before, there are just so many out there, it's hard to know where to start.
    I have thought about the Silencerco Osprey, AAC suppressors,
    and probably at the top of my list right now is the AWC Abraxas II.
    I know I'll have to get a threaded barrel, any thoughts on where I can find a good one?

As far as the 5.56 goes, I was thinking a 7.62 AAC can or some other one that has a quick attach system. The quick attach is a must.
    The first host for this will be my 20" AR, just because.
    I think it will be pretty cool on that gun, but the real reason for this can is to put on the sbr I'm drooling over.

The sbr I plan on having is a Sig 556 10.5". (It will be dolled up to look like a 552)
    I have heard many people say that it isnt the best host for a super quiet gun, but people forget that super quiet is not the only reason for suppression.
    SBRs are the most horrible things to ever have to hear, and silencers help that a LOT.
    I had also seen some people say that it may be better to put a 7.62 can on a Sig 556 because of the piston system or something.

Holy cow, looks like I wrote a lot..
    Sorry about that, thanks for reading.

Anyhow, as I'm new to the suppressor world, any advice is appreciated.
    Thanks

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Suppressors 9mm & 5.56 (7.62)

Quote Originally Posted by hungrybear View Post
    I was going to join that silencer talk forum, just to get some more specific opinions. However, they are racist against gmail and yahoo, so I was unable to register. HA. No, I will not be creating another email for the sole purpose of joining their forum.
    So I remembered I had an account here and I thought I could see if any of you have opinions or advice to offer me.
    So when did gmail and yahoo become protected classes.
    It is not racism if a website requires a 'real' email address, it is called security. Gunbroker is the same way when you register.

Welcome back, there are a few fla gun forums who might help with local nfa class 3 gun stores in Florida. For general questions some one with can experience should be able to help you here.

(Armstrong County)

For a forum suggestion, forget Silencertalk, join NFAtalk.
    Great group of knowledgeable guys.
    Probably even find an SOT in Florida to help you out and give you a live demo of some cans.

9mm - the 92 family has low sights to begin with. so you are going to have to replace your sights.
    You are on the right track for the cans, esp getting a 45cal can to run all 3 pistol calibers.
    Osprey, Octane, TiRant, Abraxas (been a while since ive heard one)
    Also check out the line up from Liberty Suppressors.

556/762 - Go hear/shoot one in person.
    The AR platform is loud, 556 sucks suppressed, esp on an SBR.
    The shorter the barrel, the louder it is. but it will deff remove the "bark" from an SBR.
    So many options out there for 762 cans, both thread on and QD.
    For multiple hosts in multiple calibers, QD is the way to go.
    SilencerCo/SWR, AAC, Gemtech, YHM, Surefire
    All have mount systems that will run both calibers, 762 down to 556 with the proper mounts.
    Some of the 762 cans are heavy (YHM) but also offer a good bang for your buck.

You will have to find a limit or combination that you are happy with.
    Being budget, sound reduction (most are the same on a gas operated weapon, its the tone difference that you will pick up), weight, length, construction materials, mount system.

Ive always looked at it the same i do with building cars.
    Cheap/fast/reliable - pick two
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Washington County)

The main things I'm looking at in a suppressor:
    -sound reduction dry or wet (duh)(haven't hear enough to decide yet dry/wet)
    -weight/length (I don't want a brick on the end of my gun)
    -----Also being able to see my sights is pretty important to me
    -longevity (by this I mean also in regard to db reduction after multiple shots)
    -price (I really don't want to spend $1000 when people seem to think you can get a GOOD can for less)
    It's tough picking out the right suppressor, and no matter what you pick out, at least half the people you talk to will say, "Nah, you should have bought xyz instead." First thing, figure out your max budget, that will help you narrow down the search right there. Second, lightweight and cheap don't go together. The reason there are so many opinions out there is because there are so many good cans being manufactured right now. Stay with one of the big manufacturers, and you will probably be happy with your choice.

I just bought my 2nd 30 cal can for personal use, my first can was a Huntertown Arms Kestrel 308. Pros: It's sturdy construction, comes apart easily for cleaning, looks nice, decent sound suppression, decently priced, low profile, full-auto rated, and stainless steel baffles and core. Con: Heavy.

My new yet-to-arrive can is a Yankee Hill Machine (YHM) Titanium .30 CAL. Phantom Pros: lightweight (almost half of the Kestrel), full-auto rated, good sound suppression, sturdy construction. Con: Little pricey and plain looking.

Now I bought the Phantom to go with my recently purchased SBR in 223/300BLK, so we will see how that combo works in a few months.

I know I didn't say much here to help you narrow the search, but you named some good cans, just stick with one of the big manufacturers is my main advice.

Using a can on multiple calibers, I do it all the time and you will get decent suppression on a 223 on a 30 cal can, but you get better suppression on a 223 with a 223 can, but everyone has a budget, so I'm a fan of using larger cans on smaller calibers.
    Last edited by WCMG; April 16th, 2014 at 08:53 AM.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Philadelphia County)

You want the most universal set up and the best bang for your buck? Get a Saker 762 and an Octane or Tirant in .45.

(Bucks County)

SilencerTalk is a pretty good forum imo.

I have an AAC 762SDN and use it on an HK MR762, KAC 300BLK, and also on a KAC SR15 SBR (5.56). It's a very good silencer and does a nice job in my experience. The 51T muzzle brake isn't really QD, but it's fairly easy to manipulate.

I guess I'm in the minority of people who don't really think suppressing 5.56 is miserable.

Quote Originally Posted by elweasel View Post
    So when did gmail and yahoo become protected classes.
    It is not racism if a website requires a 'real' email address, it is called security. Gunbroker is the same way when you register.
    Haha. Yes yes, security is important, but I think anybody who doesn't recognize gmail by now is in serious denial. I registered with gunbroker using my gmail.

Anyhow, thanks for the replies guys. Guess I have some more options to think about.

As far as the 9mm, I certainly would like to have a 45 can to use on multiple hosts, but to tell you the truth I Really am somewhat spellbound by the AWC Abraxas. It is just so small, and from most of what I've read of it, it really fits my needs (wants?).
    I have absolutely NO intention to change the sights on my Beretta.
    Just last year I coughed up basically a couple hundred $$ for rear tritium and for the front sight post to be drilled for a tritium insert.
    Those sights are staying on the gun.

I had been thinking quite a bit about an AAC 762SDN for my 5.56 shoes.
    The 51T ratchet type mounting might not be QD, but it's close.
    However, as soon as I looked up the Saker 762, I kinda fell in love.
    Not exactly "wife love", but Definitely "bacon love."
    And I also read that with the Saker, somehow they have manager to eliminate that 'tuning-fork' ping of the flash hiders.

And as far as mounting, I have been thinking a flash hider for my 20" Stag,
    and possibly a Breakout for the (future) SBR. The only reason I was thinking Breakout on the sbr is that people say a brake is best for suppressed SBRs.
    I Really Don't want the SBR to be a dedicated, ALWAYS silenced gun.

The can has its purpose, of course, but i will be shooting unsuppressed as well. This is why I was thinking about this medium between a hider and brake.
    I really don't want to cause any internal hemorrhaging to anyone standing within 100yrds due to the concussion of the SBR LOL!!

Thanks again guys!

(Wyoming County)

However, as soon as I looked up the Saker 762, I kinda fell in love.
    Not exactly "wife love", but Definitely "bacon love."
    And I also read that with the Saker, somehow they have manager to eliminate that 'tuning-fork' ping of the flash hiders.
    Bear, when you were looking at the Saker, did you also check out the Specwar? I agree the Saker is a sexy looking can, but she was about $300-400 more than the Specwar both using the "Trifecta" mount that has offset prongs to eliminate harmonics. However in 7.62 the Saker comes in almost 4 ounces lighter than the Specwar
    Last edited by ExFlyinguy; April 17th, 2014 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    Bear, when you were looking at the Saker, did you also check out the Specwar? I agree the Saker is a sexy looking can, but she was about $300-400 more than the Specwar both using the "Trifecta" mount that has offset prongs to eliminate harmonics. However in 7.62 the Saker comes in almost 4 ounces lighter than the Specwar
    Well, now I did. And I also was thinkin about a YHM Phantom .30 LT.
    Too many options!!

If I HAD to choose right Now, I think I like the Saker 762 and the Abraxas.
    Ah but then you're right, there Is reason to look at the Specwar.
    After all, I am by no means rich. or well off.. at all..
    But, Really, I'd like to own this stuff before I no longer can..
    And as far as I am concerned, personally, I think investing your money in guns is one of the best ways to invest.

Anyway, nobody has any opinions on the Abraxas, or where to get a good threaded barrel for the 92fs?

(Armstrong County)

Both Gemtech and Tornado Tech have fantastic barrels. And both are out of stock right now. I would keep an eye out for those two.
    Stay away from EFK Fire dragon.

Forgot about KKM Prec
    They are good to go.
    Last edited by Nate7667; April 18th, 2014 at 08:37 AM.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast