Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default congressional dems request import bans

Matthew A. Cartwright (D-PA) and Robert Brady (D-PA) have added their signatures to a letter from Congress asking Obama to enact a new import ban, banning the import of AK-47 based firearms, parts and parts based kits. They, along with 80 other traitorous Democrats, are basically demanding to be replaced in the upcoming elections. I think we should help them out and grant their request.

http://www.thebangswitch.com/the-oba...ama-import-ban
    TERRA MAGNUM IMPERIUM

(Delaware County)

Default Re: congressional dems request import bans

What is traitorous about it? As far as I can tell it is within his powers. I wonder why he hasn't done it already.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by 90volts View Post
    What is traitorous about it? As far as I can tell it is within his powers. I wonder why he hasn't done it already.
    AKs are popular rifles and it hasn't happened already because its an election year and the political backlash against such a policy change would spell an even bigger disaster for the democrats in Nov.. They are already reeling from the unpopular Obama care which the majority of Americans disapprove of.

(Montgomery County)

much will depend on how many people remember longer than 2 weeks (and everyone will be good) - seems the vast majority of people can't remember things that happened last week, let alone last year.

Quote Originally Posted by 90volts View Post
    Obama may have the authority to regulate imports, but he's also constrained by the US Constitution. He can no more legitimately ban gun imports than he can ban Bible imports.

If he were to ban immigration by gays, blacks or Muslims, you'd see the point.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by weimar View Post
    much will depend on how many people remember longer than 2 weeks (and everyone will be good) - seems the vast majority of people can't remember things that happened last week, let alone last year.
    Sad but true.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Luzerne County)

Just maybe, stopping imports is a good thing. Here in NEPA the number of people out of work is in record numbers. Stopping imports, not of just firearms and ammo, just might do some good to get more things made here in the USA and people back to work. I don't know about you, but I like things that are made here other than in some foreign country....
    You don't have enough guns untill you don't know how many you have.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by mongo View Post
    Just maybe, stopping imports is a good thing. Here in NEPA the number of people out of work is in record numbers. Stopping imports, not of just firearms and ammo, just might do some good to get more things made here in the USA and people back to work. I don't know about you, but I like things that are made here other than in some foreign country....
    Maybe if US Manufacturers did not have to contend with crazy lawsuits, regulations, business hostile government regulators and taxes we could sell each other things made in America.

While back I was going to start to make an electronic gadget. Liability insurance covered the following...

1. Defects
    2. Damages due to use for criminal actions.
    3. Damages due to "unintended uses".
    4. Damages in case of failure (ie, fires).

Since a manufacturer can be sued for decades after one makes something this covers a lot of territory.

Total damages out of the gate were for $125,000 per year. Off of the top. Before I pay taxes, pay an accountant to do my taxes, and invest hundreds of hours of my time to not only make the gadget but then support it (ie, answer phone calls, etc).

If I outsourced it to China then imported it I would pay roughly half of what it would cost me after paying for the Liability insurance.

My alternative was to do it on a cash basis, sell through flea markets. Penny ante.

I cannot imagine what the liability insurance is for a gun manufacturer. Especially if the Democrats repeal the Liability Protection that the NRA put onto gun makers. So that the Gun control lobby could not use Lawsuits to implement gun control.

Import bans are a bandage. You want American Manufacturing? Help stop the abuse of American manufacturers.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by GeneCC View Post
    Maybe if US Manufacturers did not have to contend with crazy lawsuits, regulations, business hostile government regulators and taxes we could sell each other things made in America.

While back I was going to start to make an electronic gadget. Liability insurance covered the following...

1. Defects
    2. Damages due to use for criminal actions.
    3. Damages due to "unintended uses".
    4. Damages in case of failure (ie, fires).

Since a manufacturer can be sued for decades after one makes something this covers a lot of territory.

Total damages out of the gate were for $125,000 per year. Off of the top. Before I pay taxes, pay an accountant to do my taxes, and invest hundreds of hours of my time to not only make the gadget but then support it (ie, answer phone calls, etc).

If I outsourced it to China then imported it I would pay roughly half of what it would cost me after paying for the Liability insurance.

My alternative was to do it on a cash basis, sell through flea markets. Penny ante.

I cannot imagine what the liability insurance is for a gun manufacturer. Especially if the Democrats repeal the Liability Protection that the NRA put onto gun makers. So that the Gun control lobby could not use Lawsuits to implement gun control.

Import bans are a bandage. You want American Manufacturing? Help stop the abuse of American manufacturers.
    The ABA lobby is too powerful to allow rectification of the problem especially since most elected to Washington are lawyers.

(Westmoreland County)

Good friend of mine wanted to make metal parts. He talked to several US manufacturers. He had the blueprints, specs, and had the cash to pay up front.

He did not request "sufficient volume". The Business School types who run most US businesses want to cater to "short tail" segments of the Market. They want "economies of scale" to "justify the marginal costs of set up".

He was so adamant about "US made" that he volunteered to pay for the set up costs. He wanted "Made in the USA" on his parts. The premium of "Made in the USA" meant that much to him.

They didn't want to do business with him. They blew him off with nice form letters and then quit answering his phone calls.

In the old days Businesses recognized "up and coming" market segments. Today we call those "Long tail" after the part of the Bell Curve where you see such promising new developments. You take a risk on set up costs and margins because it gives you market penetration.

Today? It's all short term thinking? "What can I do for this quarter?". If you do poorly you roll out your excuses, "Cut costs" or even "Cut head count". This last move leads to NEPA's pain of unemployment.

My friend had to go to Taiwan. He and a local manufacturer there set up a good price, good rate and proper shipment conditions. He sent the prints and specs, cut them a check. Eight weeks later the parts showed up on a skid at his place ready for sale.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast