Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default S&W Customer Service

So I purchased a used Shield 9mm a few days ago and I know there were recalls on the early models so I wanted to find out if mine had ever had it done, or was even built before the recall date.

So I went to the website http://www.mpshieldsafetyalert.com that was linked on S&W website. I was reading all the info there and tested the pistol in the way they wanted and mine is working perfectly. I shot 120+ rounds through it the day I bought it and it was flawless.

So I figure I'll call the number on the bottom of the page just to find out if it was done because it seems to be working perfectly. So I'm waiting on hold for probably around 5-7 minutes. A little longer than I like, but not the worst by any means.

It finally starts to ring and I am greeted by a female operator and I explain my situation that I purchased a Shield used and wanted to see if the recall work was ever done on this pistol. I said to her "Shield 9mm" and her response was "Is that a rifle or pistol"? Not going to lie that struck me as very weird that a S&W employee would ask if a Shield was a rifle or pistol.

She then asks when I bought it to see if it was before the recall date. I told her I bought it 2 days ago, but it was a used gun so I have no idea when it was sold the first time. She then said that it was only pistols that were made before Aug. 2013 and if I bought mine 2 days it was after that. I had to then explain to her that I bought it used... again.

I told her to just look up the serial number and see if the warranty work has been done. The response I got was "We can't look up the serial number". Are you freaking kidding me? You MADE the damn gun yet you can't look up the damn serial number. At this point I'm starting to get angry and I just want to be off the phone with her. I asked if there was another number I could call and she gave me the generic S&W customer service phone number which differed from the number I reached her on as her number was the specific number for the Shield recall.

I own a M&P 9, M&P-22 and a M&P Shield. This was my first time ever contacting S&W for anything, but now I'm really worried about having to call them for a problem in the future. I'm sorry but if you don't know that the Shield is a pistol you are not qualified to be working at S&W.

Default Re: S&W Customer Service

Did this rep have a foreign accent?

May be just a call center with no direct ties to S&W and no knowledge of firearms other than what they're told to read(?)

(Delaware County)

I recently sent back a 438 38spl revolver because the timing was off that I bought brand new. When I called I was on hold for 25mins. The lady who answered the was cocky and sounded like a real bitch. She said there is 3 to 4 month wait for repairs. The good news is it only took 13 days to get it back. I believe there is test you can do yourself to the trigger of the shield to see it is a bad one.

Yes they can be a bit snotty at times. Never understood that. We're the customer, so be nice to us. After all, its your job.

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

I've always gotten quick response from emails to S&W.

May be just a call center with no direct ties to S&W
    This is very likely. A call center that answers calls for 100 different companies and they just read stuff off a script.

I do find it amusing and interesting that she couldn't grasp the idea that you could buy a gun today that was made a year or two or even ten years ago.

(Delaware County)

Remember, your sealing with a huge company. Not some local mom and pop outfit.
    Things don't always go the way we want. I dealt with S&W once, took a few calls to different places, but they went above and beyond for me on an old 4006 which needed repair.
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

(Monroe County)

I've always had good luck with Smiths customer service. Last year I needed to send an older 29-2 in for repair. When I called a customer service rep answered I told her what I needed.she transfered me to the proper department. I got to talk to a gunsmith who took all my information and started a repair order. He then talked to me for about 20 min. Explaining the process of shipping . He also looked up the build info and dated the gun for me for free. When the gun was received and looked at they called me and gave me a run down of what was needed and a price (which was fair).they fixed it and sent it back. Overall a very good experience.

(Northampton County)

Its good to here that someone has had a good experience with S&W that has not been the case for me. Twice I ordered parts and twice it took many additional phone calls and about my issue and three months each time to actually get the parts. With that said I dii get my parts each time I was just not happy about the service!
    www.EastonFirearmsRefinishing.com Owner/Operator, NRA Pistol Instructor

(Bucks County)

Years ago I had to send a 908 back to them because the mag catch broke from me slamming in the mag, which I no longer do to any gun. I had it back in about a week. I received my repaired gun back before I got the post card stating they received my gun.
    Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast