Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default About to buy A home, gun related Qs

Well, the offer was accepted, loan was pre approved, couple thousand in escrow is locked up now. This is my first home and besides renting in college this will be the first time out on my own so I have a few questions related to firearms.

- I have a quality safe with fire rating to keep them in, I have heard the best place to put a safe is in the basement The home is a split level with a sub basement. Not sure if I should put the safe all the way in the sub basement due to concerns that it may be more damp down there. Suggestions?

- I have an LCTF to my current address, after I move will I have to have a change of address on my LCTF? Is there a grace period?

- I will be shopping for homeowners insurance over the next couple weeks, I have heard before that there are some insurance companies out there that are rabidly anti-gun...who should I avoid?

Thats all I have for now. If I can think of anything else ill update. Thanks for the help in advance.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: About to buy A home, gun related Qs

Home owners insurance may or may not cover firearms. If it does, then it's usually only up to a certain amount (like $2500). If you have a substantial collection it may be best to insure it with a policy designed to cover firearms.

Here's one I use and personally recommend: http://www.collectinsure.com/

You can get a free quote online here: http://www.collectinsure.com/getEstimate.aspx

They will not ask you for a list of what you are insuring, only a dollar amount of the total value of your collection.

As for safe placement. It really depends on how much trouble you want to go through moving it and securing it.
    Last edited by Hawk; April 14th, 2014 at 04:58 PM.
    Toujours prêt

(York County)

I probably have about 10K wrapped up in my arms so thank you that is a big help!

(Lancaster County)

My HOI covers up to $5k, if I wanted more coverage than that they'd require serial numbers of all the firearms on the policy. Something to consider.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Lancaster County)

Get some extra gun coverage through the NRA's sponsored program. I think the first $2K is free. As far as basement humidity is considered, get a big dehumidifier anyway because you'll want that to eliminate the threat of mold so added firearm protection is an incidental bonus. Last year ours was working overtime, had to be emptied twice a day.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowfin View Post
    Get some extra gun coverage through the NRA's sponsored program. I think the first $2K is free. As far as basement humidity is considered, get a big dehumidifier anyway because you'll want that to eliminate the threat of mold so added firearm protection is an incidental bonus. Last year ours was working overtime, had to be emptied twice a day.
    Sounds Like a good idea. The home inspector will be next week and Ill see what he has to say. The sub basement has the sump pump in it so I could always run a house out of the dehumidifier into it, That would eliminate me having to empty it.

I have 2 of the small rechargeable ones in the safe now, in the summer I found in my current basement having to recharge them about every other week.

(Allegheny County)

Make sure if you own guns that you have a quality safe and alarm system installed.

$40 or so dollars a month is cheap insurance when it'll deter 95% of the idiots out their looking for some quick cash stealing your stuff.

A sign pointing out that your home has a monitored alarm will take care of most of the problems of worrying about someone stealing your guns.

1. Quality Safe
    2. Alarm on the home.
    3. Harden the room that your guns are stored in. Solid or metal door with dead bolts and re-enforced hinges.

Most criminals want to get in grab what they can and get out quickly un noticed. A monitored alarm system (Like ADT) will make them think twice about your house and move on to one without an alarm system.

(Berks County)

Good safe...properly secured.

Lots of "real" pictures like this one floating around, google safe survives tornado or fire and you will find a lot. Liberty used one as an ad campaign also.

The home is a split level with a sub basement.
    Split level (bi-level?), you enter in the middle and can go upstairs or down? Every one I ever seen the lower floor is dry and is additional living space. Hope yours is dry. You should be good.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Allegheny County)

Dehumidifier definitely down there no matter what and would also recommend checking out something like these:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...+vapor+capsule

To put in your safe. Change them out ever so often (Note the cubic foot protected and timeframe on the different models). They will prevent corrosion in storage. It's the same stuff used to ship metal items over seas to protect it from sea salt air during shipping. I keep a couple in my larger safe and a couple of the strips in my ready-access safes as well, just some extra insurance against corrosion.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Home owners insurance may or may not cover firearms. If it does, then it's usually only up to a certain amount (like $2500). If you have a substantial collection it may be best to insure it with a policy designed to cover firearms.

Here's one I use and personally recommend: http://www.collectinsure.com/

You can get a free quote online here: http://www.collectinsure.com/getEstimate.aspx

They will not ask you for a list of what you are insuring, only a dollar amount of the total value of your collection.

As for safe placement. It really depends on how much trouble you want to go through moving it and securing it.
    x2 I use these guys too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast