Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default positive leo encounter in Moon Twp

I stopped for gas at the citgo station at the bottom of stoopsferry hill there was an officer entering the building ahead of me , inside he goes one way an I headed the other to grab a pepsi , at the register while paying for gas I hear " what you doing with that ?" I looked over that the officer who was wearing a big grin an obviously refering to my revolver in my western drop leg an said , "not much goin to meet my bro we're going shooting ." officer replies " what is it ?" me , .44 super Blackhawk ." officer " don't you think that's a lot of power for such a small grip ? " me " nah just got to hang on a lil better. " officer " you have a good day ." me " you too sir ." I think that went preety positive .

(York County)

Default Re: positive leo encounter in Moon Twp

Aside from the "what are you doing with that", this is what every one of my LEO encounters has been like. I do have to wonder though, would his reaction have been any different if you were simply carrying, and not on the way to the range?

I'm hoping his grin from the beginning indicates this would have ended the same way. Kudos to both you and the LEO.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Aside from the "what are you doing with that", this is what every one of my LEO encounters has been like. I do have to wonder though, would his reaction have been any different if you were simply carrying, and not on the way to the range.
    I think "what are you doing with that" was sort of sarcasting comment, related to the size of the gun. The comments like that sometimes end with "...bear hunting?"
    Je suis déplorable

Make no mistake, the LEO was still 'investigating' you, if only to gauge your response to his initially good-natured comment. If your response was to in any way question his authorit-eye, then his smile would have disappeared. Your response was that of a law abiding citizen, so all was good.

Still, it's a very good encounter

(Berks County)

Sounds like a decent reaction.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

you should have pulled out your phone recorder, asked if you were being detained, spit in his face, said dont tread on me and left

[sarcasm]
    Montani Semper Liberi

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by gummy jones View Post
    you should have pulled out your phone recorder, asked if you were being detained, spit in his face, said dont tread on me and left

[sarcasm]
    I like this option

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    Make no mistake, the LEO was still 'investigating' you, if only to gauge your response to his initially good-natured comment. If your response was to in any way question his authorit-eye, then his smile would have disappeared. Your response was that of a law abiding citizen, so all was good.

Still, it's a very good encounter
    You know..... sometimes we do just like to talk to people. Driving around for 8 hours with no one to interact with can get kinda lonely. He could have just walked up to some guy and said.. "hey, what are you gonna do in those jeans?" But that wouldn't go over well... plus it's nice to talk about things we are actually interested in with people. I would LOVE to hear all about your S&W .50 and not about how great a police dog your cockapoo would make.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityK9Cop View Post
    You know..... sometimes we do just like to talk to people. Driving around for 8 hours with no one to interact with can get kinda lonely. He could have just walked up to some guy and said.. "hey, what are you gonna do in those jeans?" But that wouldn't go over well... plus it's nice to talk about things we are actually interested in with people. I would LOVE to hear all about your S&W .50 and not about how great a police dog your cockapoo would make.
    I never got tired of the people that told me not to arrest them or TO arrest the person he was with because "this is the guy you're looking for."

Really, it was nice to have real conversations with people that didn't involve how much they could break the law before they would actually get in trouble. I would occasionally stop in gun shops in my zones and had some great conversations about guns and accessories. Same with some restaurants we would frequent with the regulars that got to know us as people and not just Staties.
    Last edited by unclejumbo; April 14th, 2014 at 12:46 PM.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    I never got tired of the people that told me not to arrest them or TO arrest the person he was with because "this is the guy you're looking for."

Really, it was nice to have real conversations with people that didn't involve how much they could break the law before they would actually get in trouble. I would occasionally stop in gun shops in my zones and had some great conversations about guns and accessories. Same with some restaurants we would frequent with the regulars that got to know us as people and not just Staties.
    I agree... I think that's always the nice thing once you form those personal relationships with local buisness people.. be it the gun shop or the gas station. It's nice to just talk with someone about their kids T-Ball game or their new car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast